Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #1

The linking from owner boards to other boards is increasing expotentually. The stated reason is for "better exposure".
I guess this question is directed to rebelsbeach and warpath; are owner forums worthwhile since so many posts there are re-directed to different boards?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #2

The linking from owner boards to other boards is increasing expotentually. The stated reason is for "better exposure".
I guess this question is directed to rebelsbeach and warpath; are owner forums worthwhile since so many posts there are re-directed to different boards?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 06-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
gauging by the number of people who post in the owner-boards, there must be a lure to asking questions to other people who have the same brand of rig,
i'm guessin a good percentage of the threads in those owner forums are indeed brand specific (?)

similar to the 'powerstroke' and 'singles' forum here ... what kind of cologne those swooning RV singles wear might be germane for all of us, but i still like them having their own little stomping grounds

sorry for answering, i'm bored and its 109 degrees here today
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ray

If there is a discussion, let's say, in an owner forum that is generic to any RV or type of RV we will link it to a forum in the generic area where there will be more people viewing it than the number of readers in a given owner forum. It is not to create redundnacy but to get your issue or question more exposure and make it more likely to get a response. If you notice, any response appears in both forums. Likewise, a post in the generic forum that is really unique to a brand will be linked to that owner forum.

We used to move the posts but started linking a while ago so those that are interested can continue to keep track of the thread.

Hope this helps.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Couldn't have said it better myself..... thanks John, well done!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I find this practice to be very helpful....Thanks!
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The owners/manufacturers forums were envisioned as a place where manufacturer specific issues would be discussed.

They quickly became a "clubhouse" type forum where each group of owners would socialize in addition to seeking help, which is fine as that's what the members prefer.

Some members are only interested in their particular brand's forum, and rarely visit other forums.

The problem is in seeking help with an issue that is not brand specific. Satellite and/or TV reception is probably the best example. There are many of these type questions in the manufacturers forums, but they are not limited to one brand of the RV.

Members that post these type of questions in the manufacturers forums are severely limiting the help they can receive, and many other members would miss the discussion.

The shortcuts are to get the post in the correct forum so the original poster and any other interested member can get the most from a discussion.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #8

Understood John; I'll just have to watch and read the path closely from now on. I was chastized once for posting to an inquiry directed to a specific owners forum, although it was linked to 5th wheel board.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
All of the iRV2 forums are open to all of our members, including the Owners' Forums. You don't have to own that particular brand and/or chassis to make a post or add a comment there. Members who frequent the Owners' Forums would be considered out of line if the chastise others for posting in one.

Please don't feel intimidated if such a comment is made; we request that members click on the "Report This Post" icon located at the bottom right corner of the page and give us a 'Heads Up' if they do.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
G'morning iRV2'rs: Just had to jump in on this discussion. Having "rig specific" forums is an exceptional PLUS for this site, and, in my opinion, one of the MAJOR attractors to this great iRV2 site. When seeking input for a problem with your specific rig, it's nice that folks with other kinds of rigs try to help out with suggestions, however, it's exceedingly more helpful when someone helping is familiar with and describing solutions specifically for the rig you're having problems with, particularly when photos are used. When the issue is a "generic" problem (ie., TV issue), our moderators and administrators do a bang up job of linking so everyone might benefit. Boy, I, for one, would sure hate to see the "rig specific" forums curtailed...they, and the folks to contribute, are WONDERFUL...especially for us mechanically inept RV'rs. Steve & Lynette
Old 06-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
We have no intentions of curtailing any of the "rig specific" forums and we encourage all members to use them as they're intended, that being for brand specific posts. Our administrators, moderators, and forum leaders are delighted that the Owners Forums are so popular and will continue our support of their use.

It'd be more beneficial to all, including our moderators who spend their valuable time moving and linking, if brand generic posts were posted in a more appropriate forum for all to read. Many members won't read threads that are located in a brand specific forum if they don't have that brand.

Having said that, we have no intentions of taking any actions to thwart such posting. We'll continue doing what needs to be done to efficiently support the thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experiences among our RV enthusiasts and members irregardless of where they may post their comments.

Thank you to all who post and for your input on administering the forums.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #12

Well, I was roundabout told here that I should not be posting on the Excel forum board. Chief John closed the thread right after that. Come to think of it, the other rebuffs were from Excel owners, do I see a pattern?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #13

I don't visit or look at owners forums or many of the others either, such as motorhome, slidein camper, big truck, etc. I would like to be able to close, shrink or whatever you call it with the - sign, and them and keep them closed so they don't open back up after I have read a post.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, I was roundabout told here that I should not be posting on the Excel forum board. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Richard noted in his previous posts, all forums are open to all members.

iRV2 is inclusive not exclusive.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote