Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Photobucket images - not for forum use

Recently the image hosting service Photobucket changed their terms of use for account holders and no longer allow embedded images to be displayed on forums. As a result the forum had many threads lose their photo documentation.

Moving forward we will disallow links to Photobucket and ask that you store your images with the posted text that they were intended to augment, here on the forum.

Forum members can store images posts and threads using the attachment option found in the advanced reply editor or in photo albums set up in individual profiles. There is no cost to store images here and this will ensure that your content is not diminished by an image hosting service changing their minds about how your content is handled. Thanks for understanding.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #2

I got the notice from Photobucket today. Thanks for giving us a no-nonsense way to handle them here.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #3

yup, and for those who are wondering. Please go into your PB account and do a 1 time download of your images. You will get a single shot and 12 hours to download the album of your choice.

I personally hope this puts PB out of business as what they did was akin to ransom with them saying you need to pay them $399 a year for 3rd party hosting of URLs regardless of how many links you have? No grace period or warnings?

I did the album download and subsequently deleted my account. Good riddance PB!
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Recently the image hosting service Photobucket changed their terms of use for account holders and no longer allow embedded images to be displayed on forums. As a result the forum had many threads lose their photo documentation.

Moving forward we will disallow links to Photobucket and ask that you store your images with the posted text that they were intended to augment, here on the forum.

Forum members can store images posts and threads using the attachment option found in the advanced reply editor or in photo albums set up in individual profiles. There is no cost to store images here and this will ensure that your content is not diminished by an image hosting service changing their minds about how your content is handled. Thanks for understanding.
Thank you Janet. I am one who has used Photobucket on this and many forums for probably over 10 years. Originally, forum hosting sites did not have enough server space to host pictures. Storage space today on forum hosting sites is hundreds of times the capacity of even 10 years ago making it possible to dump Photobucket in favor of using memory from the host site server. I guess that is why they are on their way out.

I am very unhappy with Photobucket, as I have many educational postings on many forum boards from years past. Pictures are what make the difference when it comes to sharing technical experience. I could never hope to edit all my work for all these years (i.e, put it on another host site), meaning that info will be lost forever. Everything was done voluntarily and I'm not paying $400 a year to keep my free work available to those who use it. The free information sharing on the Internet is slowly coming to an end.
Sorry for the rant. . I really do love this board too.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

Interesting. I do not see any emails from PB announcing a TOS change.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I thought the same ..... possible hoax, but if you go to the PB main page, at the top will be a banner that you click to get the new terms and conditions. This is for real.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
It may take a while. I had friends getting notices weeks ago, and I finally got mine today.

I have nothing on PB that I don't have on drives at home, so I won't bother deleting or downloading. I'll just stop using it, and they can do what they want.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #8

I got the messages also. I went on an canceled my account. Sounds like a lot are following suit.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
OK.. So much for PB..
Will be hooking up an external hard drive (backup drive) and doing a complete dump off my account, then ADIOS SUCKERS!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #10

Im so mad about this! I cant believe they are allowed to do this after those images have been on the forums for years.
flyguy062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #11

If you are looking for an image hosting site and are an Amazon Prime member, you already have unlimited photo hosting available to you. Just go to https://www.amazon.com/photos and login to your Amazon account.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #12
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
If you are looking for an image hosting site and are an Amazon Prime member, you already have unlimited photo hosting available to you. Just go to https://www.amazon.com/photos and login to your Amazon account.
Yes, you can and I believe that any saved photo you take with a Kindle is posted there. I haven't figured out yet how to download photos from my DSLR yet though - that is if they can be added to AMAZON. The edit function I found is clumsy compared to my Photoshop or Elements programs or even PB. I'm not crazy about this ap and will possibly just go with Smugmug or similar. This link, since the actual photo wont show, is to a mediocre quality Kindle Fire photo I 'pulled' from AMAZON to judge for yourself if this is how you want to go: https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/Ltmgc1MDBznilOt3Ivtb7ki9JfHc6J3IamMGVTUZJOX
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I haven't figured out yet how to download photos from my DSLR yet though - that is if they can be added to AMAZON.
You will need to have your DSLR memory card connected to your PC/MAC and then go into your Amazon Prime account. From there, create an album. Then upload pictures from your PC/MAC via the memory card. Once those pictures are uploaded, assign them to an album, one you just created or already existing. Then click on the picture and look for the "link" icon in the upper right of the web browser. Click on the link icon, and a pop-up window will appear that allows you to get the "share link" URL.

The link below my picture on this post is the general share link on Amazon which is via the pop-up window. For the IMG tags to display the picture directly in my post, I copied the actual URL from the web browser while viewing my picture on Amazon and used IMG tags in this forum as though I was posting a picture.

Here is a picture I took in Moab with my Nikon D90 -

Or the direct link to the picture as a viewer - https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...L0SbchN1FKCDPf

Advantage here for Amazon Prime members is there is no extra charge as you've already paid for it via your yearly membership. If you go to something like Smugmug, there will probably be a monthly/yearly charge to host pictures. Also, make sure they allow for third party links... which is what PB stopped allowing for free. I thought I read that Smugmug does not allow the third party hosting... but please verify that.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As Janet notes in the first post, there is no charge to store photos here at iRV2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Advantage here for Amazon Prime members is there is no extra charge as you've already paid for it via your yearly membership. If you go to something like Smugmug, there will probably be a monthly/yearly charge to host pictures. Also, make sure they allow for third party links... which is what PB stopped allowing for free. I thought I read that Smugmug does not allow the third party hosting... but please verify that.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum