Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #1

Seriously? Auto running video ads now?

As if this place wasn't slow enough already.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
As if this place wasn't slow enough already.
Yeah, I pointed that out a few weeks ago . . . IRV2 is starting to push the limit on what I will tolerate which is a shame due to all the knowledge here. Adblocker typically blocks 13-15 adverts, including outrun videos per page load. Keep in mind that adblockers stop the ads from running but they still download with every page refresh . . . not a prob if on high speed internet but if you are paying for mobile date you are paying with every page refresh.

I will NEVER purchase anything from a company using autorun video ads!

Old 08-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertx View Post
Yeah, I pointed that out a few weeks ago . . . IRV2 is starting to push the limit on what I will tolerate which is a shame due to all the knowledge here. Adblocker typically blocks 13-15 adverts, including outrun videos per page load. Keep in mind that adblockers stop the ads from running but they still download with every page refresh . . . not a prob if on high speed internet but if you are paying for mobile date you are paying with every page refresh.

I will NEVER purchase anything from a company using autorun video ads!
Second that! Adblocker helps you to not see the ads but as you said, they still load and still add to the site's slow loading and response times. I agree, the ads are driving users away. Can you imagine if you had PAID to be a member here and had to tolerate this?
Old 08-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Please know the Mods & Admins can't directly stop this, but we do report to our Techs the ads we can identify.

Every time this has come up, we ask for information on the ad(s). We can't address the issue if we don't know what to target.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #5

I little behind the scenes information about great forums like this one.

It aint free... It started out small, someones goal to help all of us to have a place to hang out, share our wisdom and unwind.

Now its huge, thousands of members, lots of bandwidth and hosting costs.

Anyone ever wonder how much it costs or how its paid for?

We are guests here we eat their food and crap in their toilet and provide nothing more than conversation. Do we really have the place to complain about the wallpaper or what they have to do to put food on the table?
Old 08-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I little behind the scenes information about great forums like this one.

It aint free... It started out small, someones goal to help all of us to have a place to hang out, share our wisdom and unwind.

Now its huge, thousands of members, lots of bandwidth and hosting costs.

Anyone ever wonder how much it costs or how its paid for?

We are guests here we eat their food and crap in their toilet and provide nothing more than conversation. Do we really have the place to complain about the wallpaper or what they have to do to put food on the table?

As members of the forum? Absolutely we have the right to complain about issues that cause problems on the site. Problems on the site drives visit numbers down which drives the much needed ad revenue down. Unless you create a completely member funded site you must rely on ad revenue, but not to the point it destroys the site.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
honestly what I think I hate the most is the constant jumping of the screen .. you are reading something and it "jumps" back to the top or somewhere that an "important" add is at. you scroll back to the section you want to read and about that time, it jumps back again to the advertisement... that i don't care about and don't want to see.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
As members of the forum? Absolutely we have the right to complain about issues that cause problems on the site. Problems on the site drives visit numbers down which drives the much needed ad revenue down. Unless you create a completely member funded site you must rely on ad revenue, but not to the point it destroys the site.
I became a supporter. Maybe if more did it would help. At least that has been my logic 2 years running.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have AdBlocker running using Chrome as a web browser. Currently blocking 14 ads and video on the thread page and 3 when write a reply to this post. I don't fault iRV2 for trying to make money but I think they may have overdone it a bit.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Please know the Mods & Admins can't directly stop this, but we do report to our Techs the ads we can identify.

Every time this has come up, we ask for information on the ad(s). We can't address the issue if we don't know what to target.

Lori-
Ill help out here and even though I dont have a problem with the ads I will do something that the complainers havent yet and that is let you know of the video ad that blasts the sound on full.

It was at 1:30-1:33pm est on 8-13. Its the ad spot right under the support IRV button. It was a spectrum AD. I wasnt fast enough to screenshot it. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #11

I would have joined this site along time ago ,but it is so slow to load .I waste more time waiting rather than looking.
Hows that for my first post
Old 08-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #12

Add flashblock.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've upgraded my iMac to High Sierra Beta a few days ago - Now I'm getting messages "Web Page was Reloaded because it was consuming significant memory" Whatever Ad service IRV2 is using appears to just cram more and more stuff until High Sierra decides its crossed the line. Not sure if it gets it to stop, or just reloads and the whole dance starts over again.

High Sierra blocks auto play video and the add blocker seems to screen out annoying stuff, though I get a bunch of sidebar adds which I mostly ignore. So far its not be so obtrusive that I don't go to the site. IVR2 folks need to understand there is a limit though.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Ill help out here and even though I dont have a problem with the ads I will do something that the complainers havent yet and that is let you know of the video ad that blasts the sound on full.

It was at 1:30-1:33pm est on 8-13. Its the ad spot right under the support IRV button. It was a spectrum AD. I wasnt fast enough to screenshot it. Hope this helps.
Thank you. That's the kind of info we need. I've forwarded it.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote