Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 151
Seriously? Auto running video ads now?

As if this place wasn't slow enough already.
__________________

__________________
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
As if this place wasn't slow enough already.
Yeah, I pointed that out a few weeks ago . . . IRV2 is starting to push the limit on what I will tolerate which is a shame due to all the knowledge here. Adblocker typically blocks 13-15 adverts, including outrun videos per page load. Keep in mind that adblockers stop the ads from running but they still download with every page refresh . . . not a prob if on high speed internet but if you are paying for mobile date you are paying with every page refresh.

I will NEVER purchase anything from a company using autorun video ads!
__________________

__________________
Two lovers searching for special times traveling. No motorhome yet . . . still looking Steve & Debbie
Boomertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertx View Post
Yeah, I pointed that out a few weeks ago . . . IRV2 is starting to push the limit on what I will tolerate which is a shame due to all the knowledge here. Adblocker typically blocks 13-15 adverts, including outrun videos per page load. Keep in mind that adblockers stop the ads from running but they still download with every page refresh . . . not a prob if on high speed internet but if you are paying for mobile date you are paying with every page refresh.

I will NEVER purchase anything from a company using autorun video ads!
Second that! Adblocker helps you to not see the ads but as you said, they still load and still add to the site's slow loading and response times. I agree, the ads are driving users away. Can you imagine if you had PAID to be a member here and had to tolerate this?
__________________
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
Community Administrator
 
NLOVNIT's Avatar


 
Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 21,419
Blog Entries: 1
Please know the Mods & Admins can't directly stop this, but we do report to our Techs the ads we can identify.

Every time this has come up, we ask for information on the ad(s). We can't address the issue if we don't know what to target.

Lori-
__________________
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Forkyfork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 209
I little behind the scenes information about great forums like this one.

It aint free... It started out small, someones goal to help all of us to have a place to hang out, share our wisdom and unwind.

Now its huge, thousands of members, lots of bandwidth and hosting costs.

Anyone ever wonder how much it costs or how its paid for?

We are guests here we eat their food and crap in their toilet and provide nothing more than conversation. Do we really have the place to complain about the wallpaper or what they have to do to put food on the table?
__________________
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I little behind the scenes information about great forums like this one.

It aint free... It started out small, someones goal to help all of us to have a place to hang out, share our wisdom and unwind.

Now its huge, thousands of members, lots of bandwidth and hosting costs.

Anyone ever wonder how much it costs or how its paid for?

We are guests here we eat their food and crap in their toilet and provide nothing more than conversation. Do we really have the place to complain about the wallpaper or what they have to do to put food on the table?

As members of the forum? Absolutely we have the right to complain about issues that cause problems on the site. Problems on the site drives visit numbers down which drives the much needed ad revenue down. Unless you create a completely member funded site you must rely on ad revenue, but not to the point it destroys the site.
__________________
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Hugmongous's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ball Ground GA
Posts: 269
honestly what I think I hate the most is the constant jumping of the screen .. you are reading something and it "jumps" back to the top or somewhere that an "important" add is at. you scroll back to the section you want to read and about that time, it jumps back again to the advertisement... that i don't care about and don't want to see.
__________________
Hugh 'n Deb - USAF Retired B-52 Pilot
2004 Safari Zanzibar 40', F-150, BlueOx TowBar, SMI AF1
Hugmongous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
As members of the forum? Absolutely we have the right to complain about issues that cause problems on the site. Problems on the site drives visit numbers down which drives the much needed ad revenue down. Unless you create a completely member funded site you must rely on ad revenue, but not to the point it destroys the site.
I became a supporter. Maybe if more did it would help. At least that has been my logic 2 years running.
__________________
2014 Raptor 300MP, 2014 Cowboy Cadillac - Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel DRW 4.10 Rear End, 5588 Payload, Firestone Airbags, Curt Q20, TST507
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Sweetbriar's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,369
Have AdBlocker running using Chrome as a web browser. Currently blocking 14 ads and video on the thread page and 3 when write a reply to this post. I don't fault iRV2 for trying to make money but I think they may have overdone it a bit.
__________________
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Forkyfork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Please know the Mods & Admins can't directly stop this, but we do report to our Techs the ads we can identify.

Every time this has come up, we ask for information on the ad(s). We can't address the issue if we don't know what to target.

Lori-
Ill help out here and even though I dont have a problem with the ads I will do something that the complainers havent yet and that is let you know of the video ad that blasts the sound on full.

It was at 1:30-1:33pm est on 8-13. Its the ad spot right under the support IRV button. It was a spectrum AD. I wasnt fast enough to screenshot it. Hope this helps.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2
I would have joined this site along time ago ,but it is so slow to load .I waste more time waiting rather than looking.
Hows that for my first post
__________________
mike toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,434
Add flashblock.
__________________
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #13
Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 51
I've upgraded my iMac to High Sierra Beta a few days ago - Now I'm getting messages "Web Page was Reloaded because it was consuming significant memory" Whatever Ad service IRV2 is using appears to just cram more and more stuff until High Sierra decides its crossed the line. Not sure if it gets it to stop, or just reloads and the whole dance starts over again.

High Sierra blocks auto play video and the add blocker seems to screen out annoying stuff, though I get a bunch of sidebar adds which I mostly ignore. So far its not be so obtrusive that I don't go to the site. IVR2 folks need to understand there is a limit though.
__________________
DenverTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
Community Administrator
 
NLOVNIT's Avatar


 
Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 21,419
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Ill help out here and even though I dont have a problem with the ads I will do something that the complainers havent yet and that is let you know of the video ad that blasts the sound on full.

It was at 1:30-1:33pm est on 8-13. Its the ad spot right under the support IRV button. It was a spectrum AD. I wasnt fast enough to screenshot it. Hope this helps.
Thank you. That's the kind of info we need. I've forwarded it.

Lori-
__________________

__________________
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


« Signature? | Help »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Autoplaying video ads cbramsey Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns 2 03-14-2016 06:41 AM
Seriously, I mean seriously?? Please tell me this isn't typical. steveclv Just Conversation 43 08-05-2013 08:37 PM
Seriously considering 2007 Monarch 33SFS GoneFishin Monaco Owner's Forum 6 05-15-2007 12:29 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.