Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Just to correct the above wrong information...we don't lock threads after a year. Where'd you see that? If you want to reply to an old thread, all you have to do is scroll to the bottom & check the box stating you know the thread is old & you want to reply anyway.

We only lock threads when they get out of hand after members refuse to abide by site rules & ignore staff thread warnings.

Back to the original topic, which has been answered in my prior post.

Lori-

Hi Lori-

I haven't tried to go back to a really old thread and respond, but I've read several *new* threads that were started when the Original Poster of a old thread specifically mentioned they could not reply to it, as it had been over 400 (ish) days. I took that to mean that after, say, 64 weeks a dormant thread was effectively closed or locked.

If this is 100% incorrect I'm left to wonder what those folks were talking about or why they perceived that a reply to their old post was not possible.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
I respectfully disagree, Steve.

The CR's were created, and the manner in which they are applied, have come about because there was a need... a need created by the actions of some forum users... But I think it's disingenuous for anyone to think that rules or requirements happened in a vacuum.

Social Knowledge can set any rules it wishes - SK is the site owner; it's their sandbox. The reason to require as little as possible in the way "must do, must have" is to maximize page views and advertisements served - those are how the site makes whatever money it does - and don't misunderstand, I think SK deserves whatever they make here.
Not sure with what you disagree.

The CR's are like Case Law...started long ago by statute, then formed and edited over time.
RVLife is a commercial activity, so ads cover the bills, since it is free to applicants.

And, there are really no other prerequisites placed on members. No avatar = OK. No Registry = OK. No groups = OK.
And, no signature = OK.

Thanks for understanding
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:41 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
This right here! If a user is required to add a signature..but they dont have one....welp they are gone.
Now one would hope that after being asked to add info a poster would...but many that only see this on mobile would never see it anyway....makes ya think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
What if a member does not even have an RV? Maybe they just registered here to read about RVs to see if it’s something they would like to get into.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
.. I'm left to wonder what those folks were talking about or why they perceived that a reply to their old post was not possible.
Because they didn't scroll down far enough to see that checkbox. They only go as far as the last reply & then hit the Post Reply or Quick Reply button without bothering to look at the entire page. They'll even go so far as to just look past the Old Thread Warning box & hit the Submit Reply or Post Quick Reply. Happens all the time.

Now, I don't know what a person on a smart phone with an app sees. I don't have/use one. Maybe that box isn't there, which may explain why a member would think they can't post to an old thread. There are many functions not available on the app that are accessed only on the full site.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Folks we do our level best to make the site work for EVERYONE. We aim to be helpful and welcoming but understand that not everyone views the site on the same device or using thee same browser.

As noted - mobile users don't see signatures and in some cases cannot even set them up. Mobile access is especially important for RVers who are likely to travel and have lean connections.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
This right here! If a user is required to add a signature..but they dont have one....welp they are gone.
Now one would hope that after being asked to add info a poster would...but many that only see this on mobile would never see it anyway....makes ya think.
All they'd have to do is to type "no RV yet".
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I utilize the “ignore user ... ignore thread ... ignore forum” features within iRV2 to eliminate anything that hits my “Enough! Geesh!” threshold.

Or just simply zing right by lots unless it happens to look like something for me to learn, something I can perhaps help with, or that which looks interesting to me.

Sometimes I get fooled and waste too much time, sometimes I probably miss things.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote