Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I for one being an admin have no control what so ever over pop up ads except using ad block, being a supporter, and having my right column turned off. These three items and nothing else to date have taken care of no pop up adds and I'm on here frequently through out the day.

I use mostly a iPad Air and Safari not the app.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #16

How do you shut off the right column???

Old 11-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #17

i use chrome and no problem
Old 11-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
There are pop up ads here? Never seen one. I use Chrome, Android and IOS.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
The admins/owners of iRV2.com have the ability to turn off all pop up ads. They choose not to, ...
You are way off base here. I don't know where you got your information but it is incorrect. Speaking as an iRV2 Admin, I have NO ability to turn off any ads, pop-up or otherwise. Just like John, I use the tools available to limit them, but everyone needs to understand ads pay for your free memberships here, otherwise even the std membership here would cost money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBr View Post
User CP
Edit Options
Miscellaneous Options

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
You are way off base here. I don't know where you got your information but it is incorrect. Speaking as an iRV2 Admin, I have NO ability to turn off any ads, pop-up or otherwise. Just like John, I use the tools available to limit them, but everyone needs to understand ads pay for your free memberships here, otherwise even the std membership here would cost money.

User CP
Edit Options
Miscellaneous Options

Lori-
Off base? I don't think so. As a previous owner of a website, I had the ability to allow pop ups or not. There is a reason that most websites do not have pop-ups. It is a choice made by who set the site up. No need to get angry. Just facts.

And as previously stated "Those annoying ads which you can take steps to not see them as already mentioned are what gives you the ability to enjoy this site free of charge."

You say you can't stop them, but somehow it pays for the site.... that requires some type of agreement with the advertisers to get paid.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBr View Post
I am still waiting to see the answer to this question.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #22

Quote:
User CP
Edit Options
Miscellaneous Options

Lori-
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I am still waiting to see the answer to this question.
69Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think you (the end user) can shut off the right column. I believe thats a layout feature chosen in vBulletin when the site is initially set up by the site owners.

Many browsers support popup and ad blocking. If you enable this feature in your browser, you will notice a significant reduction in ads that load with the page. If you wish the continue enjoying the security features of ad and pop up blockers, but want to allow this site to display ads, you can normally set an exception, i.e., Allow ads and popup from this site.

As the owner and administer of many sites, I generally do not allow popups or ads on my sites because of the security risk they bring with them. Its not a matter of turning them on or off, its a matter of programing the template of the pages on the site that simply don't use ads or popups.

On the other hand. As mentioned, someone has to pay the bill for the bandwidth. Having sponsored ads on the site helps.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I don't think you (the end user) can shut off the right column. I believe thats a layout feature chosen in vBulletin when the site is initially set up by the site owners.
I see that you have your right column turned on could you possibly run a test for us an follow the instructions in reply # 19 of this thread and tell us the outcome?

Quote:

User CP
Edit Options
Miscellaneous Options

Lori-
The same request is made to anyone else who would be willing to give it a try and report back.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:21 PM   #25

For all of you who say "they pay the bills" followed by "just install software to block them". How long do you think they will continue to pay the bills when the advertisers realize they aren't getting any click through traffic? By allowing pop ups, video pop ups no less, you're shooting yourself in the foot by forcing users to take the more drastic measure of blocking all ads to eliminate the obnoxious pop ups. I would have no problem with the small ads that usually populate the side bars of forums, and often find them useful in helping me find new businesses. I feel the all or nothing approach is doing more harm to the websites bottom line, but what do I know, I'm just a consumer.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #26

Quote:
*snip*

User CP
Edit Options
Miscellaneous Options

Lori-
Thank you I am so glad hear there was a way to turn this off. I had signed up to support the site within the first week (see my banner). I'm thrilled with so many thoughts, info and nice folks! Lately touching the right side screen with my bear paws, wasting my band width and time as ad's popped up. I actually had just downloaded an ad block yesterday.
30 Years ago while refilling our fresh water tanks at the BVI yacht club, I reacted with shock at the cost of water being one dollar per gallon, the Jamaican attendant jokingly responded: Ya man, paradise costs!
ModestMonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:54 AM   #27

But you can turn off the right column, making this board easier to read.

Go to "User CP".
Go to "Edit Options" under "Settings & Options"
Go to bottom of page and click "Off" to the "Turn Off Right Column" prompt.
Click "Save Changes"

From this thread
Making Forum Easier To Read
Old 11-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Off base? I don't think so. As a previous owner of a website, I had the ability to allow pop ups or not. There is a reason that most websites do not have pop-ups. It is a choice made by who set the site up. No need to get angry. Just facts.
As the "owner" of a website you have ultimate control of everything on a site but "adims" on a site such as this do not. You have to remember that not all "admins" are created equally. The tue admin, or "super admin" as we labelled them on sites we created, had the ultimate control over everything and yes, they had the permissions required to enable/disable ads. Admins on a site like this do not have total control but rather control over only those items deemed essential for the smooth operation of the daily postings and user issues. Can you imagine the mayhem and confusion if each admin was turning various site features on and off without some form of global consensus?

It is true, ads help pay for the maintenance of a site like this. It is also true that anyone who wants to disable the ads can do so. I personally use Google Chrome as my web browser and I have the"Adblock Pro" extension installed. It is currently telling me that it's blocking 4 ads from appearing on this webpage.