Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
The admins/owners of iRV2.com have the ability to turn off all pop up ads. They choose not to, guessing for the revenue. Very annoying.
Yeah, this site is pretty bad. Its like they like "clickbate". I've only been here a few weeks, but am looking for another site to use as its too distracting when you are trying to read an article.

It appears to be all about the money!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #30

Thanks to the two posters who told us how to shut off the right column. I too look at the ads that appear, but I hate having to stop in the middle of reading to shut off a video ad, and in fact generally resolve never to buy anything from the vendor who so rudely interrupts me. I do find it easier to follow posts now that they cover the whole page, especially longer ones. Thanks again.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #31
SMB

Got it!
Many thanks to 1361 and others for their "fix" suggestions.
I do understand the monetary incentive to allowing the ads by admin of this site. However, as the response to this stream has shown there is a reverse to your action coming into play.
If your ads are being deleted/avoided by your readers, and readers are abandoning because of the additional steps your subscriber has to take to enjoy the site, or not coming to the site because of the annoying ad programs, perhaps this is a policy requiring some review.
Best of luck. This is a great forum.
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #32
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our owner walks a fine line being able to keep the site free vs charging a subscription to everybody. The vast majority of ads are easily removed if one only logs in. If one wants to surf without doing that, then the price one pays is ads EVERYWHERE.

Part of the problem is, everyone wants to complain about the "annoying ads" but no one gives us the details. Where is the ad located? What is the ad or who is the ad from? Try calling your dealer, telling them your coach is making a "weird noise" then, with no further information, you demand them to fix it. How much will you be billed in shop time as they try to hunt down the noise, assuming they can? Now, if you are able to describe or better yet record the noise, tell them where it's coming from & when it happens, you stand a better chance of having the noise eliminated & paying WAY less in shop time.

Our owner can take steps to remove some ads but we have to know details in order to go after the really distracting ones.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
THe sort answer is YES
The longer answer is It depends on your browsers, but there is an ad blocker some of them have it built in some it's an add on, which browser determines which featur/add on.

The funny answer is "What pop ups. I don't see no steenking pop ups"
Old 11-22-2016, 03:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Our owner walks a fine line being able to keep the site free vs charging a subscription to everybody. The vast majority of ads are easily removed if one only logs in. If one wants to surf without doing that, then the price one pays is ads EVERYWHERE.

Part of the problem is, everyone wants to complain about the "annoying ads" but no one gives us the details. Where is the ad located? What is the ad or who is the ad from? Try calling your dealer, telling them your coach is making a "weird noise" then, with no further information, you demand them to fix it. How much will you be billed in shop time as they try to hunt down the noise, assuming they can? Now, if you are able to describe or better yet record the noise, tell them where it's coming from & when it happens, you stand a better chance of having the noise eliminated & paying WAY less in shop time.

Our owner can take steps to remove some ads but we have to know details in order to go after the really distracting ones.

Lori-
Lori, if you read the thread you'll see exactly what ads everyone is complaining about. The video pop ups. It's pretty straight forward. Banners on the top of the page or in between posts, as well as icons down the side don't bother me, and likely aren't too big a deal to most of the other users, it's the POP UP VIDEOS. I'll say that again. The video ads that pop up every few minutes and start playing, requiring you to stop what you're doing to shut the video down so you can keep reading. Those are what everyone finds so annoying. I'm on several different forums across several different interests and this is the only forum I've ever been on that had video pop ups.
As has been mentioned, persisting in using video pop up ads is just shooting yourself in the foot, because now people are blocking all ads out of frustration, or simply going elsewhere.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:59 AM   #35
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As Lori stated " log in " .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post

*snip*

Lori-
Hello, I admired the site from the get go. I joined and became a supporter almost immediately, as you can see by my banner. I'm set to automatically log in and still had trouble. You asked for details so I'll offer my two cents

I predominately use the iPad. Being right handed I always seemed to touch too heavy or even unwittingly while trying to scroll down. It would open ad's which occupied my time and bandwidth with frustrating results. When I found I could shut down the right side...life was good again...kind of. I didn't mind opening the ads that caught my attention. I realized that they help the site. They also helped me learn about the RV industry (I intend on purchasing our first RV in August 2017) I don't mean to cause a firestorm, but having the option of display on the left side or the bottom would work as well for me.

Thank you all for what you do here!
Brian
30 Years ago while refilling our fresh water tanks at the BVI yacht club, I reacted with shock at the cost of water being one dollar per gallon, the Jamaican attendant jokingly responded: Ya man, paradise costs!
ModestMonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #37
IC2

Interesting as I haven't seen those very intrusive video ads or news blurbs here (yet, anyhow) though have on other sites. AdBlock Plus can't, so far, always stop those but I have my hopes since they are not any website's positive feature.

Unfortunately, ads are a part of life though you do have the means to not see most of them. Just think of those one hour TV shows that now only have about 2/3rds of that content time (~40minutes), with about one third of those 60 minutes you are being regaled to buy a car, booze or some sort of drug plus hire a lawyer.

As far as charging a fee to be a member, the site probably would lose a good many members, especially after the first year. I found with one forum that I belonged to started charging a $25/year fee. I paid one time but then found that the same information was on non fee sites so moved on, never looking back. Then there are those that own an RV of some sort that are simply living at the ends of their finances and would just have to leave.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:32 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Interesting as I haven't seen those very intrusive video ads or news blurbs here (yet, anyhow) though have on other sites. AdBlock Plus can't, so far, always stop those but I have my hopes since they are not any website's positive feature.

Unfortunately, ads are a part of life though you do have the means to not see most of them. Just think of those one hour TV shows that now only have about 2/3rds of that content time (~40minutes), with about one third of those 60 minutes you are being regaled to buy a car, booze or some sort of drug plus hire a lawyer.

As far as charging a fee to be a member, the site probably would lose a good many members, especially after the first year. I found with one forum that I belonged to started charging a $25/year fee. I paid one time but then found that the same information was on non fee sites so moved on, never looking back. Then there are those that own an RV of some sort that are simply living at the ends of their finances and would just have to leave.
I pay extra on my TV service for DVR, I record the shows I watch. Even if it's taped delayed just so many minutes so I can fast forward through the malarkey. Shows that are just overwhelmed with ad's I won't even bother with.

I had assumed when I became a supported of this site the ad's would subside a bit. Not so, I noticed that the banner had tires I had just researched and other things were flashing up. The rugs the wifey was looking up came up, etc in ad's. Sorry that's not convenient, it's creepy.

Thankfully I found I could turn off the right side ad's. I'm still researching a proper ad blocker so that my life isn't an open book.
30 Years ago while refilling our fresh water tanks at the BVI yacht club, I reacted with shock at the cost of water being one dollar per gallon, the Jamaican attendant jokingly responded: Ya man, paradise costs!
Old 11-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For folks that are experiencing pop-ups: Are you logged in when you have this issue? Or are you just browsing without logging in?
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1361 View Post
But you can turn off the right column, making this board easier to read.

Go to "User CP".
Go to "Edit Options" under "Settings & Options"
Go to bottom of page and click "Off" to the "Turn Off Right Column" prompt.
Click "Save Changes"

From this thread
Making Forum Easier To Read
I just saw this, and went in and made several changes to the settings. Seemed to immediately speed up page loading. However, it also appears that you loose "new posts"......

I also happened to see a bunch of "thank yous" that I was unaware of. Nice to see them!

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #41

I have another tip for you all to try with Firefox and Ad Block Plus that will do two things for you: make safer browsing and eliminate all ads globally across all sites that feed ads. The add-on is called Noscript it will change your whole browsing experience.

https://noscript.net/
Old 11-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I have another tip for you all to try with Firefox and Ad Block Plus that will do two things for you: make safer browsing and eliminate all ads globally across all sites that feed ads. The add-on is called Noscript it will change your whole browsing experience.

https://noscript.net/
I've had this on the iMac for ever. It has preformed very well! Lately it's been wanting to update every week. SO I set aside FF withABP and N/S, look for something that was less bloated and more stable. I'm still looking and may have to go back to it.