Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #1

Tech help!

Not being terribly technically savvy I need help with uploading a photo to my profile. I am using an ipad and chose the pic from my photo file but received a message that the pic exceeds the allowable size. I have no idea how to "shrink" it to be acceptable for loading. Anyone have any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
I could tell you how to do it but it would probably kill you.

No really, the simplest solution is to ask a kid for help - almost anyone under 20 can probably do it for you in a jiff.

If you want to do it the long way:

1) If you don't have one already, search for "free photo editor" and select one to use (Photo editor online / free image editing direct in your browser - Pixlr.com) is an example
2) import the picture into the program
3) look for "EDIT" in the top line menu and select "image size" or use the "help" option and lookup "resize"
4) follow the instructions to change the images' size
5) SAVE or EXPORT the image in .jpg format (suffix to the file name) AND GIVE THE FILE A NEW NAME (so that you can go back to the original if needs be)
6) now you should have a file that you can load into your profile

JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #3

I downloaded an app as you suggested, pic shop lite, but never found a resize option. I did manage to load a photo but not as part of my "signature" .....thanks for your suggestion!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #4

From an iPad the easiest way will be to upload the photo to an online photo storage site. I use photobucket. This may sound complicated but that's mainly because my ability to explain it is lacking. Really it's pretty easy.

1: Go to the app store app on your iPad and search/download/install the photobucket app. (You'll need to set up an account but it's all 100% free.)
2: Once installed on your iPad, open the app and choose the "upload" option. (It's the arrow pointing up in the top right corner.)
3: Once uploaded, open the picture within the photobucket app and tap on the "link" icon.(It's the second icon on the top right corner that looks like a chain.)
4: After tapping the "link" a drop down menu with several links will appear. Tap on the "IMG code" from the menu. This will automatically copy that link.
5: Now open your browser app(probably safari) and navigate to the irv2 site.
6: Tap on the "UserCP" link on the top left of the page.
7: Tap on the "Edit Signature" link on the left side of the page.
8: Tap somewhere inside the text box and do not remove your finger from the screen. You will see a pop up with a few options. Choose the "paste" option. This should place the IMG code you 'copied' from the photobucket app in the box.
9: Now tap on the "save signature" box.
10: Post here and let us see your new signature with pictures!!!
SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #5

Signature permissions is not allowing me to upload pic!!! ??? But thank you for your help! Not sure what I should do now.....
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Phrish Image resizer is a simple to use freeware program for reducing the size of photos by as much as 90-95%. A 1 mb file can be reduced to approx 45kb which the majority of sites will acccept. The following link will let you download either the 32bit or 64bit program for your corresponding operating system.

After installing, right click any photo or photos, choose (1) of (4) different sizes and clicking one. It will reduce the original photos size by as much as 90% and put in in a folder named "resized". Move the newly sized photo(s) anywhere else and delete the originals.

New version of Prish Image Resizer (x64 support. Unicode support).. It
Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If you are trying to upload a signature photo, only iRV2 Supporters have that permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBaby View Post
Signature permissions is not allowing me to upload pic!!! ??? But thank you for your help! Not sure what I should do now.....

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBaby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
If you are trying to upload a signature photo, only iRV2 Supporters have that permission.

There ya go.

You can still use the same procedure to upload a pic for your avatar though.

SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote