Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #29

have had the same issue useing firefox tried everything , started useing chrome NO issues

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #30

I've used this antenna since I discovered it searching on Amazon a couple years ago. It's rated at 48dBi, which in the radio world is very high gain. It's case is attractive, 4" square antenna part, not too obtrusive size wise, but it's worth is in the fact that it's 48dBi.

The antenna linked above, though very attractive, is only a 5 dBi, really no better than your internal antenna. Or 9 dBi if you opt for the longer stick antenna shown in the 2nd link.

I went from showing 5 WiFi APs to 22 APs at one park by merely chaning to this antenna: Signal King Antenna.

Using the Signal King antenna, I can get a excellent signal most every RV park I visit while those around me suffer and limp along with dropouts and slow speeds.

Just offering a choice. BTW, I don't own stock in that company.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:57 AM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I've used this antenna since I discovered it searching on Amazon a couple years ago. It's rated at 48dBi, which in the radio world is very high gain. It's case is attractive, 4" square antenna part, not too obtrusive size wise, but it's worth is in the fact that it's 48dBi.

The antenna linked above, though very attractive, is only a 5 dBi, really no better than your internal antenna. Or 9 dBi if you opt for the longer stick antenna shown in the 2nd link.

I went from showing 5 WiFi APs to 22 APs at one park by merely chaning to this antenna: Signal King Antenna.

Using the Signal King antenna, I can get a excellent signal most every RV park I visit while those around me suffer and limp along with dropouts and slow speeds.

Just offering a choice. BTW, I don't own stock in that company.
Thanks! I think I will try that!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2 View Post
have had the same issue useing firefox tried everything , started useing chrome NO issues

I downloaded Chrome and it is continually freezing up! Went back to Firefox!

Old 10-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Even though your showing a strong signal, it does not mean its a signal that is consistent without interference.

Things such as microwaves, wireless phones and other users on the wireless network may be interfering with your signal.

A good external antenna run off your USB will be a good start. It would also be useful to future travels where there may be a poor signal.

Depending on the equipment you have and the CG, you may also be able to change to a preferred band of 5.2GHz. That may cut some interference such as microwaves or other users and works better through walls. Do you know if your on a wireless "n" network or "g"? Try the following:
  1. Right click on your wireless signal icon in right lower corner
  2. select Open Network and Sharing Center
  3. up on the left select change adapter settings
  4. Right click your wireless connection
  5. Select Properties
  6. Click configure
  7. Select Advanced Tab
  8. Look for an option of Preferred Band
  9. If this exists, change to prefer 5.2GHz band
  10. While here look for Transmit Power and change to Highest

Mike, this didn't solve the "connection was reset" problem, but it seems to have solved another problem I was having.

I was losing internet access from the WiFi source. I still had full five bars of signal strength, but no internet access. I would have to disconnect, then reconnect to get it to work. Since I did the procedure above it has only done that a couple of times. Before it was at least every 5 minutes!

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you go to someplace like a Starbucks and use their internet to see if your laptop is the issue or the CG? Are others in the CG having any issues? Can you try closer to the WiFi antenna and see if that helps?

I don't normally recommend MS IE, but you might try it for a while and see if there are any improvements. I doubt it though as it sounds more like a connection/provider issue.

Connecting with wireless vs internet are actually two different issues. The wireless is the pipe or wire, but the internet is a connection type. If the CG is limited in capacity, you may be losing internet connection because their upstream is slow.

Having max bars only means the connection is good to their router. It does not mean their connection to the internet has the bandwidth or capacity to handle many connections, or even one connection if they are having issues.

Also, the amount of bars you have may not be accurate - same with a cell phone.

When you right click on the network icon and bring up "Network and Sharing Center", what does it show under "View your active networks"?

Next I want you to hit the windows key, type cmd and hit enter. A box will appear. type ipconfig /all then hit enter.

Click anywhere on the screen, right click and select all then on your keyboard hit Ctrl + C

Then create a text document (rt click on desktop and select new/text document). Then right click on the text document and hit Ctrl + v

Save that document and then upload it here as an attachment.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Can you go to someplace like a Starbucks and use their internet to see if your laptop is the issue or the CG? Are others in the CG having any issues? Can you try closer to the WiFi antenna and see if that helps?

I don't normally recommend MS IE, but you might try it for a while and see if there are any improvements. I doubt it though as it sounds more like a connection/provider issue.

Connecting with wireless vs internet are actually two different issues. The wireless is the pipe or wire, but the internet is a connection type. If the CG is limited in capacity, you may be losing internet connection because their upstream is slow.

Having max bars only means the connection is good to their router. It does not mean their connection to the internet has the bandwidth or capacity to handle many connections, or even one connection if they are having issues.

Also, the amount of bars you have may not be accurate - same with a cell phone.

When you right click on the network icon and bring up "Network and Sharing Center", what does it show under "View your active networks"?

Next I want you to hit the windows key, type cmd and hit enter. A box will appear. type ipconfig /all then hit enter.

Click anywhere on the screen, right click and select all then on your keyboard hit Ctrl + C

Quote:
Then create a text document (rt click on desktop and select new/text document). Then right click on the text document and hit Ctrl + v
Save that document and then upload it here as an attachment.
Mike, in the step above, when I right click on the text document icon it brings up a menu. If I type CTRL + V I get an error beep

Old 10-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry, I meant a left click on the document, then ctrl+v. Or if you right click, select paste.

Were cutting and pasting the info from ipconfig /all results.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
OK Mike, I got it copied. Hope this works!

New Text Document (2).txt

Old 10-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
I think I see your problem, or a major contributor.

Quote:
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 24, 2015 11:50:21 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 24, 2015 11:57:51 AM
That's 7 minutes and 30 seconds. Your PC will request a renewal of the IP - if I recall correctly, every 3 minutes and 45 seconds. Now imagine all the other connections in the park doing this constantly.

Typical minimums are 24 hours or 1440 minutes in a router setting.

Talk to the park management - a lease should be at least 24 hours.

Some second thoughts, maybe the CG ends all ip's at this time everyday. Then renews for 24 hours. So run the above command again "ipconfig /all" and look for the lease obtained and lease expires time under Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Old 10-24-2015, 03:52 PM   #39
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I think I see your problem, or a major contributor.

That's 7 minutes and 30 seconds. Your PC will request a renewal of the IP - if I recall correctly, every 3 minutes and 45 seconds. Now imagine all the other connections in the park doing this constantly.

Typical minimums are 24 hours or 1440 minutes in a router setting.

Talk to the park management - a lease should be at least 24 hours.

Some second thoughts, maybe the CG ends all ip's at this time everyday. Then renews for 24 hours. So run the above command again "ipconfig /all" and look for the lease obtained and lease expires time under Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
The period is now 3:42PM to 3:54PM!

Old 10-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #40
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The period is now 3:42PM to 3:54PM!
Mr. Phelps, you have 12 minutes to complete your mission starting now...this tape has already self-destructed...
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #41

If you have a wi-fi router, try unplugging the power to it for about 20 seconds then plug it back in. In other words, when in doubt....re-boot! Worth a try.

Don
Old 10-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
We were at an RV park in Taos NM that doing the same exact thing, it would drop the connection on a timed basis. Only there for 2 days but it was Frustrating. I figure they do this to stop people from streaming movies and Youtube videos. I don't do that but still suffered from this automatic resetting.

I will never go back to the park again. I think someone snuck in an siphoned off 20 gallons of diesel from our coach.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote