Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
"To proceed, you must be a member of this site. Please login or join below."

I got the above message tonight when I tried to access the Florida Boomer forum from the iRV2 Florida Boomer site. Also couldn't access a thread called 'Wrong Region'. Once I logged in everything was fine. Has something changed? Are guests not allowed on some sites now?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
"To proceed, you must be a member of this site. Please login or join below."

I got the above message tonight when I tried to access the Florida Boomer forum from the iRV2 Florida Boomer site. Also couldn't access a thread called 'Wrong Region'. Once I logged in everything was fine. Has something changed? Are guests not allowed on some sites now?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have found lately that you can't access different locations on site unless you sign in myself. Guest should be able to access posts only can not reply or post unless signed in. Some locations, Owners Corner, also do not give latest post on that forum at right hand side of that forum. We will have to let the men who know how, to figure this clitch out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #4

Seems the intent of the forum is being defeated if everyone is required to be a member of this site. I often do not log in, but like to review what is being posted. If I have a question or opt to respond, then I have no objections to logging in.
Is this a backdoor method to obtain new members? Or stop those of us who like to read but not log in?
Bob
Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Dave,

Previously, all of our forums were accessible and viewable by both guests and registered members. As an effort to encourage converting some of those guests to registered members, we have restricted access to some of our forums to only registered members?

The following categories each contain forums of keen interest to specialized groups and easily justify a required membership in iRV2 to view. All other forums remain unrestricted.

The changes were made earlier today:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> THE OWNER'S CORNER
<LI>THE CHASSIS CLUB
<LI>REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES[/list]
Richard
Old 12-20-2006, 03:50 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have been in the computer industry for over 35 years and this decision is a double edge sword.... On one hand you will get a few new members that were riding the fence. On the other hand you will lose the ones that will never join any forums for any reason.

<STRIKE> Me, I think I would go back to the old way except for the maybe the Regional Chapters, Campouts and Rallies.</STRIKE>

On edit:
After thinking about it a while even restricting to the Regional Chapters, Campouts and Rallies may even drive so folks away.

Free and open forums are great and in lots of places a thing of the past. The moderators do a great job although there have been some discussions that have gotten heated
Old 12-20-2006, 04:57 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Dale, we are in the process of undoing the requirement for registration as there have been too many glitches with the Groupee provider.

I guess it's back to the drawing board...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:38 AM   #8

Bob and Richard, groupee server problem or not, I have to agree with Dale... The only areas that I think might "earn" restriction would be Regional Chapters, Campouts and Rallies. Restricting other forums would really turn off any newbies and lurkers.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:12 AM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm not even sure a restriction on the regions is called for. I lurked around for a bit to get a feel for the site before I decided to register and participate. Guests are as likely to click on the advertisers as are registered users in my opinion. The FL Boomer site has been struggling a bit lately and asking someone to register before they can view the site may be a bit much right now. Glad to see an undoing is in the works.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Thank you all for your patience and understand we're always looking for ways to improve the site...
Old 12-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

I have adjusted the "guest" permissions back to the original settings...
Old 12-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,
Under "General Discussion" - "What are your cost for Rving?" it sill requires a signin prior to reading posts.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

We never changed anything in "General Discussion", but Groupee's been acting weird lately....I'll look at it.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Bob, I think you did an outstanding job on this forum what with a photo section and news and classifieds and the layout is easy to navigate and understand,even by dim-wits like me.I think if memory serves that even RV.Net had you to sign in before you could visit the forum site pages. I seem to remember that but can't remember for sure. There site is alot harder for me to navagate then here.Take a bow, You and the other Moderators any all who keep this fouum up and running should all take a bow. To the best forum for Rving around.
Thanks and Hope you all have a great New Year!! Dan and Deb F239548{Capt.Can}
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote