Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #1

Too much scrolling required

I would like to suggest that the owners of this site consider redesigning how it displays. It requires way too much scrolling up and down to view the pages. When I visit the page starts with the header, which has a menu at the bottom of it. Under that is a box that has the path ("breadcrumbs") telling me where I am and there is a second menu at the bottom of it. Then there's a ad, then yet another box that has a completely useless-to-users "mission statement" in it. It requires one to scroll to see the list of available forums, and then you have to scroll back up again to get to any of the items on the menu(s).

Once you click on a forum section, all the top information is kept, and a second listing of the path you're at (the "breadcrumbs" again) is added so you have to scroll further.

I realized today I come to the site, scroll down to select a section, scroll down again to see what's been posted, then scroll back up to select another section then scroll down again to see what's been posted, then up, then down, then up, then down.

This isn't intended so much as a complaint as it is an observation. Usability obviously wasn't a consideration when things were set up. I don't know how much of the issue is the actual script, how much is the theme being used, and how much is just added junk to the page. It's just kind of annoying to navigate that way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the observations. I do very little scrolling up/down. It's mostly down when I'm reading through a thread. Once I get to the bottom I just click on the "Top" link (or FN+Home) & I'm shot to the top of the page again.

You also don't have to scroll down to get to a particular section. Use the drop down links from the very top toolbar (just under the banner photo) to be taken directly to the forum section you want to go.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No issue for me.

Ken
Old 07-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

I scroll only down using arrow. I move curser to desirable subjects and open them in a new window. I like it the way it is.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
I scroll only down using arrow. I move curser to desirable subjects and open them in a new window. I like it the way it is.
^^^ X2
Old 07-25-2016, 04:26 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I use this mouse as it has these features;

• Fly through long documents and Web pages with just a flick of the nearly frictionless scroll wheel
  • Move through Web pages and navigate your photo albums easily with backward/forward buttons

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
I would like to suggest that the owners of this site consider redesigning how it displays. It requires way too much scrolling up and down to view the pages. .
You should be able to adjust your account settings to address some of this.

In your usercp check out the settings in the edit options section here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

You can change how the forum displays threads and posts with the newest content first. Be sure to scroll down and hit "save" after you make adjustments.

Both these settings will impact how much scrolling you need to do.

Another thing worth noting is that if you allow site cookies, the server 'remembers' where you left off viewing in a thread and will load that thread to he first post you haven't viewed when you open the thread. Threads that have new posts or that you have not viewed at all will also have bolded titles. Titles that are not bolded have no new content.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:27 PM   #8

I guess I wasn't making myself very clear. My observation was that, unlike other forums I use, this one is poorly setup and is clearly not well thought out in terms of usability. The irv2 forum page has no content "above the fold" ... one has to scroll down to see it, regardless of settings and regardless of hardware. It's cumbersome. There's a saying, The harder something is to use, the less people tend to use it.

Compare these two forums and maybe my observation will be clearer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2016-07-26 at 10.11.27 PM.png
Views:	33
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	134287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2016-07-26 at 10.19.03 PM.png
Views:	34
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	134288  

Old 07-27-2016, 12:03 AM   #9

First off........
I use 'Ad Blocker' add on with my Firefox Browser so most of that stuff doesn't get displayed.

Secondly......
I just click on 'NEW POSTS' which opens a segment showing all new postings in ALL the different sections.
Then I scroll down and check out the topic....opening those that appeal to me.

Simple.......
Old 07-27-2016, 12:35 AM   #10

I don't see it as being hard to use in any way. I scroll down with the wheel on the mouse, and choose topics that interest me or I can add to. There are a lot of other forums that are way more difficult than IRV2 to navigate.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:50 AM   #11

alvo,

Your point is valid. People here are used to the current design and that makes it hard to change.
BuckyBounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I use 'Ad Blocker' add on with my Firefox Browser so most of that stuff doesn't get displayed.
From a forum management perspective, encouraging people to use an ad blocker to make using the site more tolerable is bad for ad revenue.

The ad at the top should be removed. It's actually in the least productive location on the page. Remove it and the content moves up about an inch. On a related note, they should get rid of the blinking ads altogether. That in itself makes me want to get an ad blocker -- and I'm fully in the "ads pay for the site, so you shouldn't block them" camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
There are a lot of other forums that are way more difficult than IRV2 to navigate.
I don't use any that are worse, but I'm sure there are some. That doesn't make this site any better, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBounder View Post
People here are used to the current design and that makes it hard to change.
It doesn't have to be a complete redesign. Get rid of the useless "Mission Statement" (They're written for management and not users) and content moves up an inch. Remove the top ad and the content moves up another inch. Both changes would have a positive effect for users and neither would interfere with anyone's ability to use the site of their enjoyment of it. In fact, I bet most people wouldn't immediately realize why the site suddenly worked better for them.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We appreciate the comments & are always looking to improve our member's experience on our forums. One thing to keep in mind is, we can't please everybody. As has been made clear in this thread, some have no problems with the layout while others take issue with a number of things. No matter what we do, someone's going to find fault with it.

One thing about the vB skin is, it's used across almost all the SK Communities listed at the bottom of the page. This makes it user friendly for members of multiple SK forums to find their way around because the layouts are the same. Could vB have a better design?, probably so. Some examples of SK Community forums that have different layouts are FordForumsOnline & RV Park Reviews. Much similar to the Antique Radios layout alvo displayed. We get complaints about the layout of those forums too.

The best we can do is to come as close as we can to satisfy the majority of our members who regularly & consistently participate in our forums.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #14

My apologies. Sorry to have bothered everyone.

Tags
scr