Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Trouble With Search Terms

I'm sure it's something I'm doing incorrectly but...

I can't get the search feature to perform a search on an exact phrase or combination of words. For example searching for "Blue Ox" returns results where the word "Blue" was found. Did not like "Ox" because ... "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: ox"

If that's not the error message then the search finds results based more on the "or" function rather than the "and" function.

In other words, I'd like to be able to launch a search based on the term "roadmaster tow bars", for example, and have it return results that included all three words in that exact order.

The Google search is a kind of workaround but it takes you off the iRV2 page to execute the search.

Ideas?

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The Google search at the top of the page is the preferred search engine.

Be sure iRV2.com is checked.

The first couple of results are usually not on iRV2, but all the following results are iRV2.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
The Google search at the top of the page is the preferred search engine.

Be sure iRV2.com is checked.

The first couple of results are usually not on iRV2, but all the following results are iRV2.
Thanks for the suggestion. As mentioned in the original post, that does work but it takes one off the iRV2 page.

I was trying to get the native search function to behave as desired. The "+word1 +word2 +word3" format works a little better than just entering the words without the + sign. But it does not limit hits to posts/threads with just the desired words in the exact order entered. A hit might have one, two, or three of the words and then not in order.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
Old 10-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #4

I just typed in "Blue Ox" (with the quotation marks) and got page after page of posts about Blue Ox tow bars and such. Are you sure you included the quotation marks?
Old 10-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
I just typed in "Blue Ox" (with the quotation marks) and got page after page of posts about Blue Ox tow bars and such. Are you sure you included the quotation marks?
Apparently my question is not explained well. Yes, if one types "Blue Ox" in the Google search bar one gets a bunch of hits.

I was trying to get iRV2's native search function to behave in a similar manner. Type "Blue Ox" into the iRV2 search function and you get zero hits. Type in "Blue Bird" however and you get 133 hits having little to do with Blue Birds. In both cases the searches were not very helpful.

I'm walking away from this and returning to the Google search bar when searching for subject matter. The native iRV2 search function is still useful when searching for a given member's posts.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #6

You're correct. "Blue Ox" brings up 0 records - very strange. However, I just went to Advanced Search and clicked on the Motorhome Towing forum then entered "Blue Ox Tow Bar" and got a big list.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:39 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
These symptoms are very odd...I just ran a search for "Blue Ox" using the internal search and got 5990 results.

I have found the internal search stops at posts about 180 days old...but as said above, the Google search block gives everything - ever.

Maybe try clearing the Browser Cache?

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:23 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Unfortunately, the forum's search software leaves a lot to be desired, but we don't have the option of changing it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote