Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
@oemtech - I agree that this solution restricts our quality members in order to mitigate downside risk. I will try find a solution once we convert to vBulletin that will allow limited editing but prevent mass editing (which is the issue we are concerned with). So the point has been noted and I will try to find a solution.

@George Miklas - As Dirk suggested, please try clearing your cookies, empty your browser's cache and reboot your computer.

Also, regarding all the recent downtime and system glitches, I am working as fast as possible to get a conversion from Groupee to vBulletin which will run on our own servers where we have control over these external factors and should be able to provide a more stable system. I will post an update on this ASAP.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, edit restrictions could only be placed on the offender after the damage was done, right?
You are correct.

We have no way of knowing until after the edits/deletions are done.

As Andy has noted, vBulletin may offer more options.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Rusty,

You have a point... But, depending on the way the code is written you could have the edit function set to off, 15 min edit, 60 min edit of full edit rights. In other words the user "earns" the right to edit or what ever... It's to bad that we have to set rules like this to start with.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #18

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
Hi Dirk,

Thanks for the tip. I just cleared my cookies and rebooted. That seems to have fixed it as I now have edit buttons again. Now I wander how often I will have to go through this procedure. I've never had to do it before, only now that the edit feature has been messed with here.

Last night I had three posts on this page the second and third were due to not having an "edit" button. Now that my interface with the site is seemingly working correctly, it is a shame that I can't go back and make the corrections to my first post last night and delete the next two. But alas, this is one of many issues which can be expected to arise now that we have "Cinderella editing privileges".

This new policy is for the birds.

George

Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So right away I assummed that the edit feature has now been totally removed. But now upon discovering the glitch with the quick edit button, maybe it is just a larger scale system glitch that you need to be aware of.
George,

We're not aware of any glitches regarding the edit feature. It's still there.

Have you tried clearing your cookies? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #19
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
George,

Considering you missed your 60 minute edit window due to a glitch, It's only fair that you have that opportunity. You'll have the edit privilege for those posts for the next 60 minutes, hope that'll help.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #20

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
George,

Considering you missed your 60 minute edit window due to a glitch, It's only fair that you have that opportunity. You'll have the edit privilege for those posts for the next 60 minutes, hope that'll help.
Thanks Rich. I appreciate the opportunity to go back and edit the post before it is finally "cast into stone" due to the new Cinderella Editing.

Again, thank you for your help.

George
Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by oemtech:
Rusty,

You have a point... But, depending on the way the code is written you could have the edit function set to off, 15 min edit, 60 min edit of full edit rights. In other words the user "earns" the right to edit or what ever... It's to bad that we have to set rules like this to start with.
Dale,

Perhaps another approach is to set a reasonable limit in the software for the number of edits allowed in a 24-hour period. That way, a "normal" poster shouldn't be restricted, but someone wanting to do harm to the database would run up against the limit as he/she was furiously editing/deleting posts before too much damage could be done.

Would you consider this a more balanced approach?

I agree - it's too bad that we have to even consider this, but as we have seen, years of history of forum content can be wiped out by an individual who wants to do so in very little time.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #22
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by George Miklas:

Thanks Rich. I appreciate the opportunity to go back and edit the post before it is finally "cast into stone" due to the new Cinderella Editing.

Again, thank you for your help.

George
No problem George, let me know if you didn't have enough time in those 60 minutes.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by RustyJC:
Perhaps another approach is to set a reasonable limit in the software for the number of edits allowed in a 24-hour period. That way, a "normal" poster shouldn't be restricted, but someone wanting to do harm to the database would run up against the limit as he/she was furiously editing/deleting posts before too much damage could be done.
This is the exact solution I was thinking about. I have to talk to Jeff (programmer) about this. Hopefully we can have a solution like this at some point after the conversion. It meets everyone's needs in my opinion.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thing 60 min is to long, 5 min is plenty of time to edit misspelled words, 60 min gives you enough time to change your mined and confuse the reader who subscribes to a thread because the only way to to see the edit is by way of refresh and no one dose that......That is my opinion any way.

1998 40' Monaco Dynasty
Inventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #25

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Mike,

Sometimes, I press the "submit" button and leave to make a pot of coffee. A 5-minute Cinderella Editor is simply not acceptable and can not even be considered (IMHO) as practical.

George

Quote:
Originally posted by Inventor:
I thing 60 min is to long, 5 min is plenty of time to edit misspelled words, 60 min gives you enough time to change your mined and confuse the reader who subscribes to a thread because the only way to to see the edit is by way of refresh and no one dose that......That is my opinion any way.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #26

Let's make the task interesting for the programmer:

Up to 60 minutes UNLESS there is a subsequent post in that thread.

Once spoken and heard (as presumptively indicated by a reply being posted), it can no longer be retracted ("un-said").

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy R:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
This is the exact solution I was thinking about. I have to talk to Jeff (programmer) about this. Hopefully we can have a solution like this at some point after the conversion. It meets everyone's needs in my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have said my peace on this in other threads, but this solution might work. Having said that I have posted pictures and descriptions where I will post them, edit the fonts to bold (whatever), change spacing, add pics, move things around, all requiring edits since there is no reasonable preview function before posting. The point is I have edited a single post 10-20 times just tweaking it.

And for the benefit of Inventor: In addition to the above, I have gone back (and do elsewhere) on several of my original posts or comments and either update a comment, posted a picture to back-up what I was saying in the thread, re-posting a picture either from a different angle, or high-lighting something on the picture, etc. I'm not changing position or opinion, or deleting anything, but I commonly edit outside of either of the hard limits that have been imposed for all of the above reasons.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Perhaps one answer would be to allow folks to append to their existing posts, but not change the original text after the initial editing window. That way one could always add pictures or a note correcting an error in the original without 'losing' any of the historical record?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote