Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Recently it has been necessary to impose a time limit on the editing feature that enables members to edit or delete their posts. The imposing of this time limit was necessary due to the unfortunate actions of a few members who chose to maliciously edit old posts changing or deleting critical post content which would then mislead or offend others in reading those posts. Because edited posts do not show as a new post in a thread, the moderator staff has no way of knowing that someone has edited a old post inserting objectionable content or deleting content until someone stumbles upon it.

For this reason, the owner of iRV2 has an editing time limit on the other forums he operates. This change would have occurred when we switched to the new vBulletin software to conform with existing rules in the other forums owned by Social Knowledge, but recent actions by several members have forced us to impose the editing time limit immediately to preserve the integrity of the forums.

As a result of member feedback though, the time limit on the editing feature has been extended to 60 minutes to enable everyone to have more of an opportunity to edit their posts for grammatical or typographical errors after posting. We appreciate your feedback, and recognize the need to have the additional time to re-read one’s own post and correct items as desired.

We hope that this 60 minute editing limit meets everyone’s need, and the members realize that they can contact a moderator to perform editing beyond that time if required.

As always, thanks for being a member of iRV2, feel free to contact a moderator or administrator about other suggestions or improvements you would like on YOUR site, and happy camping.

iRV2 Admin Team

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:
Recently it has been necessary to impose a time limit on the editing feature that enables members to edit or delete their posts.
BRAVO! I've looked at many posts where it was indicated that "this post has been edited," which made no sense to me. When I upload a post, I look at it, edit it, look at it again, maybe correct again, then when satisfied, it's a done deal! I LOVE that after an hour, you are done! No more messin' around. Good Job!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:45 AM   #3

I for one do not see what the big hula baloo is about a posting time limit. It would seem to me you check your post right away. change if necessary, or if something is needed later, after other comments from posters, add a new post to change what ever you need. Jeeeesh.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would have to agree with Homer on this subject. To me, once posted, it’s locked in,------ period. If the author wants to make a change, make a new posting indicating the change.

Marty
Old 12-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Quote:
... the owner of iRV2 has an editing time limit on the other forums he operates. This change would have occurred when we switched to the new vBulletin software to conform with existing rules in the other forums owned by Social Knowledge, but recent actions by several members have forced us to impose the editing time limit immediately to preserve the integrity of the forums. ...
i am confused, i am not saying that i am in disagreement, i am saying that i am confused ...

is iRv2 owned by a Corp that is called Social Knowledge?
that is how i read that paragraph,
otherwise why would anyone feel constrained enough to follow the wishes of that entity?
and also why does this forum feel the need to join 'SK'?

I have read here several times now that this is one of the reasons which mitigates having changed the edit function, that 'we would have had to have done it anyway' once under their umbrella.

So, i am assuming that whoever SK is, that we are now owned by 'SK' ??

again, i am just wondering,
it seems to me that if you want to change the rules, change them because that is the way you want the new rule to read,
not because that is how the parent company wants it,
unless of course the parent company now owns us ??
sorry for rambling
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
IRV2 was purchased by Andy Robinowitz and his company, Social Knowledge operates 14 forums with iRV2 being one of them.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
i am confused, i am not saying that i am in disagreement, i am saying that i am confused ...

is iRv2 owned by a Corp that is called Social Knowledge?
that is how i read that paragraph,
otherwise why would anyone feel constrained enough to follow the wishes of that entity?
and also why does this forum feel the need to join 'SK'?

I have read here several times now that this is one of the reasons which mitigates having changed the edit function, that 'we would have had to have done it anyway' once under their umbrella.

So, i am assuming that whoever SK is, that we are now owned by 'SK' ??

again, i am just wondering,
it seems to me that if you want to change the rules, change them because that is the way you want the new rule to read,
not because that is how the parent company wants it,
unless of course the parent company now owns us ??
sorry for rambling
FD, maybe I can help you get unconfused (or confuse you more)

Yes, the forum (irv2) is now owned by Social Knowledge.(Andy R) Bill sold it to Andy so he would have more time to devote to his business.

Yes, we would have had to change some of our rules when we change and there will be some more changes, all for the good we hope. The editing problem was just due to a few but had to be addressed.

So, did that do the trick or do you still have questions?
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I wanted to post so everyone who is following this knows how decisions are made and a bit more about me and Social Knowledge.

Basically Social Knowledge is not a big company, on the contrary it's actually only one person, me. I have a few part time helpers who help with various things like programming, database administration, software training, software support and working with each community on best practices that we have learned (often the hard way) from the sites we work with.

My philosophy is to let members of each site manage the community. This is done through the admin/mod team who are all active members of the community. Recently, the mod/admin team has been discussing various processes and procedures in preparation for an upcoming conversion of the forum software. The edit change was something we talked about and ironically while we were discussing it the system was abused and considerable knowledge was lost. Sometimes we have to pick the lesser of two evils when making a decision. In this case the consensus of the team was to protect the knowledge shared (discussions) because considerable damage can and has been done.

We have reviewed the various discussions and would like to let you know that we could have done things a bit better. In the future we will post an announcement when configurations are changed so you all are not "blind sided" by changes. I apologize on behalf of myself and the team for poor communications after this change.

I also want you all to know that I understand both sides of the issue here and have some ideas for a solution. It's something that would need to be developed (a new features) that could allow people to edit posts but not abuse the system and ruin our historical archives. It's not something that can be put in place at this time but I will get estimates from the programmers to see if it's economically feasible.

Please know that we are listening and that iRV2 will always be managed by your peers (active members). We will try to learn from our mistake and keep moving forward.

Thanks for your patience as we transition and evolve. In the end we will remain a healthy and vibrant community and place where many friendships will be formed...

Kind Regards,

Andy
Old 12-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
Hi Andy,

There seem to be some system glitches going on. For example, I am logged in and am posting this from the regular dialog box. However, when I click the quick reply button, I get a message saying that I am not logged in. Also, I just posted in another forum and as soon as my screen refreshed, I found a prose error in my post, but there was no edit button.

So right away I assummed that the edit feature has now been totally removed. But now upon discovering the glitch with the quick edit button, maybe it is just a larger scale system glitch that you need to be aware of.

Thanks for listening and thanks in anticipation of your response,

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Quote:
... So, did that do the trick or do you still have questions?

Tom
I love this site, I look forward to seeing new ideas and old ideas merge well,

and no fair Tommie, you already know how easy I am to confuse

thanks Gentlemen and Congrats Andy !

Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Andy;

Thanks for your fast response to a tense situation that was festering. I believe you explained it well.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Andy,

I do understanding the need to protect the integrity of the "thread". But, MANY suffer for the SINs of the FEW. Why not limit the offender if at all possible. It's all in the programming of the software that is used.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:05 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Dale,

Unless I'm missing something, edit restrictions could only be placed on the offender after the damage was done, right?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:06 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
So right away I assummed that the edit feature has now been totally removed. But now upon discovering the glitch with the quick edit button, maybe it is just a larger scale system glitch that you need to be aware of.
George,

We're not aware of any glitches regarding the edit feature. It's still there.

Have you tried clearing your cookies?