Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I think the Chinese ads are tire ads.

jack r

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I occasionally see these in the banner ad as well. They are usually placed by google or another ad service and they have "mistargeted" .. sort like advertising a prime rib buffet special in the Vegan Times magazine

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I occasionally see these in the banner ad as well. They are usually placed by google or another ad service and they have "mistargeted" .. sort like advertising a prime rib buffet special in the Vegan Times magazine
Thanks Janet. That's what I was figuring, someone was mis-targeting, but was curious as to who it might be. Kind of amazing to see these as so much of the stuff, especially it seems by Google and Amazon, is targeted so specifically and so well towards the individuals tracked interests.

I guess I will now go have a bottle of Tsingtao to relish the resolution of my mystery. LOL
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Google uses its Internet search technology to serve advertisements based on website content, the user's geographical location, and other factors.

Who knows what the "other factors" are? Trade secret it seems.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Behavioral and contextual advertising is based on where you have visited. In other words, tracking cookies.

[Quote:]
"Behavioral targeting technologies work by anonymously monitoring and tracking the content read and sites visted by a designated unique user or IP as that user surfs the Internet. This is done by serving tracking codes, which are implemented as cookies, on a user’s computer as s/he is served ads from various online advertising networks. Sites visited, content viewed, and length of visit are then all databased and analyzed to predict an online behavioral pattern for such a user, thereby classifying that user by his/her online demographic. Behavioral ad networks then serve targeted advertising related to that user’s behavioral classification, regardless of where s/he then visit.
[Unquote]

check this link for full info: Behavioral Targeting and Contextual Advertising | Search Engine Journal

Search engines work in this way. Let's say for example you visit eBay or Amazon looking for a particular item. You get directed to a foreign web site, see all the hieroglyphic type that is foreign to you, maybe click on another link hoping to get something in English, and eventually exit the page. A tracking cookie could be on your computer and targeted advertising is going to follow.

Clean out your cache, cookies, history, and other stored items that are not needed on a regular basis. Just remember that "saved passwords" will most likely disappear when you remove your cookies.

Search on the words:

-----how are computer ads targeted

to find more information on the subject.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to AEmedic
I had been wondering as well...this is the only place they show up for me, so it must just be related to this forum.
AEmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #21

One thing I noticed is the advertisements all have links so that you click on a ad and it takes you someplace else to try and sell you on whatever they are selling. Not so with the Chinese characters. I can't fine any links embedded in them.

It doesn't matter if I am signed on or not. They still appear on the top and on the right side of the forum page. So far I haven't noticed these on any other forum site I visit. I'll have to pay more attention to the other sites and see.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
One thing I noticed is the advertisements all have links so that you click on a ad and it takes you someplace else to try and sell you on whatever they are selling. Not so with the Chinese characters. I can't fine any links embedded in them.

It doesn't matter if I am signed on or not. They still appear on the top and on the right side of the forum page. So far I haven't noticed these on any other forum site I visit. I'll have to pay more attention to the other sites and see.

That's my experience also-they only show up on this site.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #23

I just noticed this ad so I copied it and pasted it here.

Then I copied the Chinese characters and found out the darn thing was pages and pages long (17 pages in fact! ). Took forever to get to the bottom. Google translator just shows random words as far as I can see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	40794  
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
What's wrong with that, cows have a Vegan diet.....?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
Rumor in the black helicopter crowd, Ads are run by the NSA. Clicking on the ads puts you in monitoring for foreign interests program.

(maybe not that funny after all)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
The ones I see are only in the top banner (I have the side banner adverts switched off).

Old 06-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #27

Most of the time I use the android app on my tablets on this site. It is convenient and there are NO ads to distract me.

The ad in Chinese is a bit strange. It does seem.out of place on this site. I suspect the ad does not actually originate on this site and is likely a result of some other factor such as cookies as previously suggested in a previous post by Wayne M.

Did anyone delete cookies to see if they dissapear?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Most of the time I use the android app on my tablets on this site. It is convenient and there are NO ads to distract me.

The ad in Chinese is a bit strange. It does seem.out of place on this site. I suspect the ad does not actually originate on this site and is likely a result of some other factor such as cookies as previously suggested in a previous post by Wayne M.

Did anyone delete cookies to see if they dissapear?
I tried deleting cookies, internet cache etc-it made no difference.

Tags
forum