Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #29
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As we previously noted, these are random Google ads.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
I just log off and then log back on those ads came back on the top header. 07:30/06/14/2013

Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
FWIW-- I use Mozilla Firefox and do not have the "Chinese" ads at all. Was not aware until mentioned here. I also use "Piriform Ccleaner" to remove cookies, temporary files and other junk..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #32

I don't see any ads, since I'v installed a program called "Simple Adblock". It's a freebie and you can disable it through the tool-bar if you need to. I visit one site to get a daily crossword for DW and it won't display if I have Adblock active.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #33
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You all know, if we'd quit talking about them & reading posts about them, they'll probably go away (unless you've got an ad-blocker...in which case....never mind).

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Chrome Apps: If you use Chrome for your browser, you can add apps to it which can filter out and do other things which to me are helpful and make your browsing experience better IMO * just read about each one and decide if it is something you can use. Down side is it can slow your speed of down a little. Small price to pay for me. I only use the free ones (like adblock and passwordbox - look under Utilities).
Old 06-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #35

You should see mine. But then again, I'm currently in the Philippines.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #36

+1 for Mozilla Firefox. I don't see any ads at all no mater what web site I am on. Their ad blockers work great!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
+1 for Mozilla Firefox. I don't see any ads at all no mater what web site I am on. Their ad blockers work great!
I just heard that they are going to add "tracking blocker" to Firefox. If that happens I will switch from Chrome to them. But I am old enough to remember the Internet when it was about information and knowledge research, now its a plot by Capitalists to take over the world or is it the NSA...I don't remember I'll have to Google it
Old 07-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blag View Post
The ones I see are only in the top banner (I have the side banner adverts switched off).

Can I only read a few of the characters, my chinese is rusty...it says something about you specifically being watched by the NSA and to try the Orange Glazed Chicken...I think

Edit - sorry that's General Tso's Chicken.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
I just heard that they are going to add "tracking blocker" to Firefox. If that happens I will switch from Chrome to them. But I am old enough to remember the Internet when it was about information and knowledge research, now its a plot by Capitalists to take over the world or is it the NSA...I don't remember I'll have to Google it
Google is the evil empire. If you use Chrome, you are being tracked regardless of what websites you visit, even if those sites don't track you themselves. Chrome is a google product designed primarily to collect information about you, and secondarily be a nice free browser.

Read This for an over-simplified description of how tracking works and why you should care.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
+2

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #41

Change your settings to clear your cache, and browser of cookies every time you close it. If you use Firefox, download and use BetterPrivacy, NoScript, and AdBlock Plus. Those three add-ons will eliminate the vast majority of annoyances and persistant tracking cookies.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #42

These floating banner adds (if they are what I think they are its a bit hard to tell from a screen shot) I think might be related to the cross site scripting error others have reporting that IE emits. You can try putting your browser into 'Private Browsing Mode' and that might help cure it. Private browsing is a good trick to know - Firefox, IE, and Chrome all have Private Browsing mode.

Every once and awhile, the add placement services (that populate the content on the right hand ad bar) get behind the hackers, and let some of these bad actor advertisers through-these are the ads that have javascript programs that request more information on your computer than is custom- information in other running browser window session cookies for example.

In any case: if your browser session has been compromised with a new cross site script program that get's by the ad placement security system, The hijacker can pop up an official looking - Please Login again to facebook, yahoo, or gmail-anything- and if you do enter your password - boom, they get your password, and do whatever nastiness they can. They can Look over your email for other passwords, change your passwords, harvest your contact, list tell your friends that you are on a trip and got in an accident, lost your cellphone, and to please wire money -after they change your password....

And if you have any online banking info or passwords in your email on the server-game over. If you are like a more people than not, most of your passwords have a sort of theme, or worse, the same password for everything, your identity gets stolen, bank accounts emptied, and your life gets annoyingly miserable for awhile.

Think before you ever type in your password, especially when you are asked for your password at an unusual time. The good thing is that most of the cross site scripting out there can't run rampant (yet) on unpatched updated systems without the user interactively supplying additional information. They can put themselves in the middle of your browsing sessions and collect conversations you have with servers. Thus, don't do any sensitive browsing at starbucks or any public hotspots. Pay extra for a tether on your cellphone.

And if you think McAfee, or one browser doesn't have this issue, or some program you downloaded for free on the internet is really protecting you- think again. Many of those downloaded programs report back information on your browsing habits too, and pull from the same databases as IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, do little more than suck down CPU pretending to do work. Microsoft supplied AntiVirus/and defender are excellent tools.

This is getting long- but I was at a conference a few years back where a guy who wrote a security suite called metasploit woke up a computer from sleep from a wireless network and took it over and accessed the files on the drive. It was asleep! Then he accessed a bunch of mac drives on the wireless due to a bug in NFS nobody in the crowd had updated....Then he took over a win7 box (unpatched) and did the same thing.

Keep your computer systems updated, change your passwords to a nonsense phrase with a misspelling, punctuation, and a number, and use safe browse mode.

Just sayin'

--JT
IT Guy and Web Developer
95 HR Navigator

Tags
forum