Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2005, 04:27 PM   #1

I've noticed several very large avtar files are being used by members here. Here are two examples. I mean no offense to the members who have these avtars, and only are using them as examples.

53,548 bytes and 600x450 pixles

158,193 bytes and 1024x768 pixles.

Why does the irv2.com forum software allow these large files when the image is only displayed as 100x75 pixle image? Downloading threads with these huge avtars really slows down viewing stuff here, especially if the viewer is using a slow dial-up or wireless cellphone connection.

Here is my avtar, which is 5316 bytes and 100x75 pixles:

Can the Admin do something to limit the size of an avtar file? There are plenty of free programs that can easily resise pictures.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2005, 04:27 PM   #2

I've noticed several very large avtar files are being used by members here. Here are two examples. I mean no offense to the members who have these avtars, and only are using them as examples.

53,548 bytes and 600x450 pixles

158,193 bytes and 1024x768 pixles.

Why does the irv2.com forum software allow these large files when the image is only displayed as 100x75 pixle image? Downloading threads with these huge avtars really slows down viewing stuff here, especially if the viewer is using a slow dial-up or wireless cellphone connection.

Here is my avtar, which is 5316 bytes and 100x75 pixles:

Can the Admin do something to limit the size of an avtar file? There are plenty of free programs that can easily resise pictures.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ken, I have often wonder the same. Sure not nice when you have to work from a dial up connection. I'll ask.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:13 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Actually, that should be fixed as of last night. Let me know, so far in checking around it seemed to be fixed.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:08 AM   #5

i think a lot of people are confused with the word (avaters) there not sure what it means.. because the first time i wanted to put up mine i had to read alot, and hitchikers faq file on avtars is very good but there should be in there
the file size and what the word avaters means
i had put up a realy big avaters and and ken had fixed it for me, i finally figured it out now....

Just my 2cents

Dean
Old 04-21-2005, 06:10 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
Ken,

Your point is a good one. But I'd like to try to clarify our terms first.

Avatars are the little pictures under your screen name on the left side of your posts. These picture sizes are controlled by the avatar software in the forum. Any of you who have tried to upload a large picture into your avatar probably have seen it be rejected or so distorted that it was unusable.

Most everyone uses the iRV2 photo gallery for their avatar source because most pictures uploaded into the photo gallery come in two sizes, the thumbnail size (or avatar size) you see when you open the photo gallery and a larger size you see when you double click on the thumbnail.

To use the smaller picture in your avatar block, right click on the THUMBNAIL size picture and left click on "Properties" at the bottom of the block that appears. A new block will appear that has a URL (Internet address) in the center which can be highlited and copied for insertion into the avatar section. If it's the proper size, this URL will have the term "avatars" in it as this example shows: hzzp://irv2.infopop.cc/groupee_files/avatars/9/2/7/9276099152/avatar

Now, the forum software also allows members to post pictures in the threads which I believe is what Ken was asking about. Some of these pictures are displayed in the body of the thread to support what is being written and some have been put in members signatures.

It sounds like Warpath has found a way to initiate a "fix" on this so that pictures in the body of threads and signatures will be limited to smaller sizes such as the pictures in mine below.

Dave
[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #7

In my post I was refering to the large size of the thumbnail avtars under the username, not pictures posted inline in a message. The two examples that I showed on my first message are from the thread at http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1356094452/m/4411034831

See the avtars for Joe-K and DSDPforRacin' near the bottom. Right click on the avtar picture and then click properties and check the size. The large file sizes are still there as I write this.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:49 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
Ken, thanks for pointing those out.

JoeK's avatar now shows a "thumb" URL from the iRV2 photo gallery (which is the same as an avatar) and DSDPforRacin" avatar is from Photobucket.com and has been resized by the forum software upgrade.

Looks like InfoPop may have nailed it!

Dave
Old 04-23-2005, 09:27 AM   #9

This problem has not been corrected. I could go through a number of threads and point out the avtars that are excessive in size, but since I am on a slow cell phone connection, I won't bother.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I agree with Ken L that this is still a problem. Before I found this thread, I had posted in the Florida Region forum about this under 'Avatar Size'. If you have the time check the first response and the pixel size of their avatar. Hopefully, the system can take care of this problem. If I was on the road with only a cell connection, I would have to wait to get the daily digest that strips off all the gingerbread.

Dave
Old 04-28-2005, 02:55 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Ken and Dave,

You are correct, InfoPop has not found a fix for resizing oversized avatar pictures as we had thought. And for those of us on dialup, this can cause a slower loading of the pages.

To fix this the way you would like, members must resize their own pictures by taking a new picture using a lower picture quality setting on their camera.

The only other fix we have is to shut down the avatar option which means all pictures under the usernames on the left side of the page will disappear.

Dave
Old 04-28-2005, 04:09 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The only other fix we have is to shut down the avatar option which means all pictures under the usernames on the left side of the page will disappear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would get my vote, especially on this site since a lot of us connect via cell phone when we are on the road.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:49 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
I probably should look before I even post this, but does Infopop give an individual user the option to turn avatars on or off on his personal profile "view"? If not, this might be a good modification for them to make.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:28 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Lenger:

That would get my vote, especially on this site since a lot of us connect via cell phone when we are on the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken, in all honesty, the popularity of members being able to individualize their profiles with their own avatars would probably preclude turning the avatar system off across the board.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:

I probably should look before I even post this, but does Infopop give an individual user the option to turn avatars on or off on his personal profile "view"? If not, this might be a good modification for them to make. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rusty, although not currently available in our member preferences, your suggestion would be the ideal answer for those members who are on the road and only have slow dialups available.

I'm sending a copy of this thread to Bill to see if he can get this information to the right people at InfoPop.

Hang in there Ken. Maybe we can have our cake and eat it too!

Dave