Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Why restrict editing period?

I have been a moderator on a huge website for 12 years. Before that I was an active participant on various bulletin board systems (BBS). I have never noticed such a short period allowed for a member to edit one's own posts.

The IRV2 "admin" restricts the editing period to only an hour or so, then the edit button disappears. If the edit button is still there, I might go in and spend an hour or so editing my post, only to be told when I try to save the edited post that time has run out, and all my effort is flushed down the toilet.

Request the editing period be extended to at least 36 hours, and if the edit button is still there when a member begins an edit, then accept the edited post even if time ran out while the member was editing the post.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #2

I'm with Smokey on this one...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
Old 11-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

Wait, you can't edit your post a week after the OP?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
This site had an open edit several years back, but there was a couple of problems created by a couple of members that were going back and editing post that totally changed the thread and looked really dumb and it was making the later posters look bad. These folks would not stop that type action, so management decided to limit the edit time to allow for a poster to come back for a short time and make corrections. These trouble makers were banned from the site and the rule was left in effect.

So it still goes back to the old thing that the group is penalized for the actions of a few. I don't think that will ever change as long as we have trouble makers that like to hide behind a keyboard.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 11-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
In my experience with sites that have longer/unlimited editing function, the most common reason folks want to go back and edit is because they've been called out on something they shouldn't have said in the first place.

I think that the editing function should be disabled once a post has been quoted....maybe that'd make folks more careful about hitting that "post" button before they've thought their words through!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #6

speaking from a moderator/admin point of view (as a mod/admin on other forums, and co-creator of one of the largest online car club/forum), having a limited-time edit feature does make the job of mod/admin a lot easier for the reason TXiceman pointed out......BUT, I feel if someone is being a bad apple, thats when a mod/admin should step in to lock or delete the topic. Because I too find the limited time window annoying, I think editing shouldn't be restricted. When someone starts changing edits for negative/harmful reasons, that when the "lock thread/delete thread" options should be selected, and said member either be warned, or banned. That's how I deal with it everywhere else. My .2cents
Old 11-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #7

So instead of "corporal punishment" (banning) we resort to a mentality where the punishment gets distributed evenly? hmmm
Old 11-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for your comments.

As Ken notes above, we had longer edit periods in the past.

It became disruptive to the community and it disrupted threads when changes to posts were made, or content was deleted at later dates.

The 60 minute edit time has been in place for several years and has worked well.

If a member finds a need to edit a post beyond the edit period, please send us a message via the "Contact Us" links at the top and bottom of every page.

Closed Thread