Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Smile Why the forum change?

When and why did the IRV2 forum format change and do we have access to the hundreds (thousands ?) of previously posted comments and ideas?

NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
iRV2 switched from Groupee to vBulletin software over the weekend of March 6 to March 8.

iRV2's new owner switched us to the new software to upgrade forum features and operation.

All posts from the old forum are here on the new forum.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
All posts from the old forum are here on the new forum.
But internal links to old forum posts don't work any more :(
Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
But internal links to old forum posts don't work any more :(
That is one of the issues being worked on. Links should be pointing to posts in the new forum. Eventually the old forum will be shut down once all of the issues are resolved.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #5

Unhappy

I've got to agree with the many posts as to the tremendous loss as it relates to the new format of the daily digests, that there are only links to the posts now and no content to browse through. The present format pretty much eliminates most of the benefit that the forums have provided in the past. There is no longer any convenient way to quickly review the various posts for many topics, and therefore there's no efficient way to evaluate whether there's something that you might be able to contribute to without taking the time to open the complete topic/thread.

The change in format has the appearance of an attempt to force more exposure to the advertising on the IRV2 Forums upon the users, thus generating more revenue to the "new owner". I for one, will spend much less time on the IRV2 forums as long as this change persists. Maybe for the Alpine Coach Association Alpine owners, moving these discussions to that forum may be a better alternative.

Sorry, but the change to the forum digests is not tolerable for me.
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
John,

We are looking into a solution to address the change in the email digest. I cannot say for certain if we will be able to bring back that functionality or not. This next week I will be talking about this with Jeff (Tech Admin) to see if we will be able to develop something.

The change was not made to showcase the advertisers. It was done because there were lots of limitations to the last software. The new software (vBulletin) has many new features that the old software did not have. Some of these features include the ability to attach images to posts, a better WYSIWYG editor to format new posts/replies, enhanced member profile pages, and various tools for the mod/admin teams just to name a few.

This next week I will also see if we can find a solution to automatically redirect links to past discussions so they don't break. I am not 100% sure we will be able to backwards engineer a solution but we will try.

If you want to get an overview of what discussions have been updated since your last visit, this will require setting up subscriptions. Once you do this you can easily see what has been updated and jump to the first unread post quite easily.

I know a lot of members liked the "Recent Posts" for a specific forum and we will work to see if this can be added back as well. I have a long laundry list of items to take care of and will be focused on these this week.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
At first, all the ads bothered me (especially since I had a problem with page loading), but now, I've gotten used to them. Sites like this one don't run on air, they cost money to operate. Thanks to the sponsors, I don't have to pay yearly membership dues like with other groups. I can put up with the ads for free memberships.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
If you want to get an overview of what discussions have been updated since your last visit, this will require setting up subscriptions. Once you do this you can easily see what has been updated and jump to the first unread post quite easily.

I know a lot of members liked the "Recent Posts" for a specific forum and we will work to see if this can be added back as well. I have a long laundry list of items to take care of and will be focused on these this week.
You can always use the Todays Posts feature seen at the top of the page under the quicklinks drop down menu. This gives you a view and access to all recent posts in all forums. For me this works almost as good as the "old" system
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #9

Andy R
Thanks for the response, it's good to know that someone has heard our concerns and that there is at least a possibility that we may see a return of the beneficial "Daily Digest" for our favorite Forum(s). Please keep us advised as time permits.

Thanks again,
John R
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
After 2 weeks I'm starting to get a hang of the new forum software. I think it's going to serve us well in the future. One small request. For Smilies could you bring back the little guy with the mallet. It just reminded me of Robbin Williams in "RV the Movie". I loved using it. Remember to double check those wheel chocks.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
For the most part I like the new site, but it sure slowed things down, even at broadband speeds. Apparently all the ad's and graphics takes it toll on page loading. Isn't there a way to maybe cut down on the graphic sizes and/or maybe only show them on some of the pages, but not all?
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
After three tries and much frustration, I finally got myself signed back in. The last time I tried to get my password, the message had no live link. I think my biggest annoyance is the wording of instructions. They frequently make no sense, or require reading more than once to understand what they're saying. The whole thing doesn't seem as friendly and requires much more clicking to get somewhere.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
For Smilies could you bring back the little guy with the mallet. It just reminded me of Robbin Williams in "RV the Movie". I loved using it.
Here you go....

Just right-click on on the pix, save it, then post it on the web somewhere. Then you can insert it into any message. Or you can just insert this url from the old Eve forum (for as long as it's still up).....
http://www.irv2.com/forums/eve_images/smash.gif

Here is a list of all the smileys from the old forum...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/eve_images/
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
I wonder if management asked any users to review and/or test this software before installing it. Haven’t heard anyone say so. Maybe they asked the administrators, but relying on your staff or expert users ain’t user testing and surveys. Like putting your strongest walkers in the front of a line of hikers, rather than the slowest ones. The former leaves most of the line behind. The latter takes longer, but everyone gets there.

Likely management decided on user needs and proceeded. As a former system implementer, I can tell you that this approach is common and always results in user dissatisfaction. User surveys and testing take time, but result in long term savings.

The loss of the email digest is an excellent example. Management apparently did not realize the value of this feature, or they would have delivered it before implementation. Likewise links to the old messages.

Sure it’s easy to criticize. I’ve certainly heard my share of it in the past. But this implementation will fail if people abandon the forums.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote