Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #1

$1,050 more

hey guys I've asking your opinion on what you guys would do. there is a dealer that's 15 minutes away from home that I've had terrible luck with not answering calls or getting back to you even after I was in the dealership. they told me they didnt make the camper I wanted anymore even though I knew it was a new model for this year. so I moved on and found the camper out of state at a very good price and this all happened 2 weeks ago. so I have a deposit down on the camper that's 3 hours from home and I'm picking it up this this Saturday coming up. well the dealer close to home puts one on there website this weekend and I'm like you have to be kidding me.

I go to look at it and tell them what happend and they say no way can they get to the price and they came back 1050$ more (about 10%more) and they assured me that if I bought it from the other place they would not perform any warranty work on the camper.

I caved and played the extra but they wont be ready for next Saturday they said so roughly a week and a half from today I pick it up. would you guys have done the same?
bst24351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #2

Would depend on the camper for me.......and how much free time you have ......did you show them anything in writing?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #3

yes I showed them a copy of my purchase agreement. free time is nonexistent when I'm working and I dont normally spend much time off like I am currently. the local dealer is a small town dealer whole the dealer 3 hours away told me they sell 2000 campers a year
Old 02-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #4

Its taking them a week and a half to pick it up from the other dealer.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
They are threatening you with "not our sale/will not service".. hoping you will buy their rv instead...
Personally.. I would have told them "I don't react well when threatened" and went back to the dealer I made the original offer to..

<edit>
Hopefully the paperwork you have from the original sales dealer has the serial number written down... when you coach shows up just compare numbers....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #6

The price is why they're selling that many....I would of used a little bit stronger language then Saddlesore....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm surprised the other dealer would give your deposit back!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #8

3 hours away....get it when you wanted...........$1050 less

And local dealer is lousy/higher priced and already has caused the 1st of many to come delays.

Hummmmmmmmmmm

Are you going to be using the local lousy dealer for service anyway???
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #9

I'm going to have to used the local dealer for service. I was told before that when you buy from other dealers your local dealer may not service it. the 3 he away dealer had a refundable deposit until they brought the rv in the shop for inspection. basicly its use the local dealer or have to drive 6 hours round trip to drop it off and 6 hours round trip to pick it up if I have issues. I'm not sure why its going to take a week to get the rv. they said it could be picked up a week from today but it needs to be on a weekend for us
Old 02-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bst24351 View Post
there is a dealer that's 15 minutes away from home that I've had terrible luck with not answering calls or getting back to you even after I was in the dealership. they told me they didnt make the camper I wanted anymore even though I knew it was a new model for this year.

and they assured me that if I bought it from the other place they would not perform any warranty work on the camper.

but they wont be ready for next Saturday they said so roughly a week and a half from today I pick it up.

would you guys have done the same?
Just my opinion, but you asked.

Your first sentence says you have already had problems with the local dealer. You second sentence says they have already promised that they will not service a product purchased at another dealer. Your third sentence says they can't meet the same delivery as the other dealer.

Problem dealer, higher price and lousy delivery. In my opinion, they couldn't care less about you or whether or not you bought from them or not. If you were in their lot looking for the camper that they said wasn't available, they should have been calling you when discovered that they had one for sale rather than waste money advertising it the next weekend.

From you your comments, you are describing a dealer that should soon be looking for something else to do with their time. I hope you don't ever need service from them, as that sounds like a place that might have your camper when you had planned on having it for a vacation. This place talked all the mystery out of whether or not they will be a nightmare later, when you really need them.

Oh, I forgot you asked what others would do. I would be happy to make the time to drive 3 hours for better price, to do business with someone who seems to appreciate their customers and also seems to sell lots of units as a result.
Sherpa Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #11

sounds like everyone thinks I made the wrong choice. I talked to a few people that I know before I did the deal and they said you will have you new camper in the shop at least once. another reason I mad my decision is rite on the back of the Salem brochure its says you should buy local fire highest satisfaction
Old 02-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #12

I would have told the local dealer to put his camper where the sun don't shine. The guy threatened you to get you to buy from him while squeezing you for an extra grand. Do you think you'll get good service out of someone like that? I don't. I think he's going to do crummy work, and take his time doing it.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #13

Does anyone really expect this local dealer to do good warranty service, or will it sit in the shop for months "waiting on parts" and waiting for the warranty to run out
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #14

What warranty issues are you planning to have? It's a sad state to plan for warranty issues on a new RV purchase. Most small items, I would just repair them myself.
I have had 6 campers in the last 35 years and never once pulled into a dealer lot for any repairs.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote