Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
While I can admire many of the traits that Japanese society has I also cannot forget the actions of their military in WWII. Specifically, Unit 731, the rape of Nanking, Bataan Death March, etc. That doesn't diminish my level of empathy for the Japanese in the current situation but there is another side of the ledger that I'm not sure has been properly accounted for. All I'm saying is that the society that created these positive values has also, in the past, created unspeakable horrors on a large scale. It's not up to me to forgive but in memory of the victims I cannot forget. I'll take rough and tumble Americans any old day!
Its amazing how soon people forgot WW2.

A new generation

And now we have 9/11--- a new cycle.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
"diversity" is just a mask for maintaining a denial of responsibility and an overweening sense of entitlement by the ostensibly permanent underclass.
Well said...

Old 04-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ten great points... but several others added as well.

I too was a little confused about the diversity comment but took it to mean that integration of such values into our culture is a good thing.

The irony of the point made concerning "respect" is that today's young "tough guys" are more likely to resort to violence when they feel disrespected than for any other reason. Yet, they pay little or no respect to anyone else.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I'll add one more also, they did not wait for their federal gov to come rescue them like the people in New Orleans.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #19

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320
I'll add one more also, they did not wait for their federal gov to come rescue them like the people in New Orleans.
Sad part about N.O. Is there are some still being"rescued" by our tax dollars! Probably will be for the next generation.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is about present day society. If you want to go back to WWII then you have to go back to all the dictators that have been helped to power by the "good old boys" that have committed atrocities once in power. Many of the present day dictators are in power because of "US."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #21

Wayne, outstanding picture on your profile. Semper Fi!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #22

For clairification, the diversity comment was meant to relect upon the United States and the current situation that 'we' are in. Can you imagine what would have been on the tv if this had happened here, stores would have been looted to the bare walls.

ONCE, as a young child I spoke a few words in Polish at a county fair and my father said only this to me, 'call attention to yourself only by excelling at what you decide to do here in America-our language; our heritage shall remain in our livingroom-remember this always'
Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for your clarification, rough road.

I think the incredible strength of this country comes from seeking a common goal, a common life from a population of all sorts of different backgrounds. Not that all Americans look, or talk, or celebrate holidays the same, but that we wish the same opportunities and success for all our neighbors.

Present day "diversity" only serves to fragment and fracture us; certain segments on our political spectrum use "diversity" strictly as a tool for ideological ends (and smelly ones, at that).

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
For clairification, the diversity comment was meant to relect upon the United States and the current situation that 'we' are in. Can you imagine what would have been on the tv if this had happened here, stores would have been looted to the bare walls.

ONCE, as a young child I spoke a few words in Polish at a county fair and my father said only this to me, 'call attention to yourself only by excelling at what you decide to do here in America-our language; our heritage shall remain in our livingroom-remember this always'
Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, we are in dire straights here in the US. We cannot even take care of our own.

As for your heritage, it is something I would not forget, and I ask my children to not forget. It is what makes a part of us what we are today. My heritage is French and German. My grandfather was the only one on the German side born in the United states. It was well before any war. He stood guard at the reservoir in our town when the US was fighting Germany. I wish I had been given the opportunity in my younger life to learn both French and German.

I don't speak Polish, so I guess I'm dumber.

Thanks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Present day "diversity" only serves to fragment and fracture us; certain segments on our political spectrum use "diversity" strictly as a tool for ideological ends (and smelly ones, at that).
Would you include women's rights as part of this diversity which fragments and fractures us? Many aspects of our culture fall under the umbrella of "diversity".

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Would you include women's rights as part of this diversity which fragments and fractures us? Many aspects of our culture fall under the umbrella of "diversity".

Rick
Speaking as a woman, I would. When strong conservative woman and their families can be attacked and vilified in the most horrible terms and the so-called "women's movement " is silent, it only convinces me that said movement has become a tool of ideologues. I believe American women, as a group, have a higher misery index than any other time this century.

We have told women "who needs men? who needs marriage?" and we have reaped sky-high rates of divorce, illegitimacy and consequent childhood poverty. We have convinced young girls that sex without a marriage commitment is cool- we forgot to tell them that babies come along, and raising them single is one of the toughest jobs in the world. Boys already thought sex without marriage was great- society just made it acceptable.

Getting a nifty job does not make up for the devastation the "women's movement" has wreaked on American families.

I am a white female "of a certain age" and I have worked in difficult male professions all my life. I have always pulled my own weight, and more, but I will be the first to tell you there are jobs that I could NEVER be qualified for, based largely on my gender, which has given me a body only 5'2" tall and a 100 lbs of body mass.

Please don't send a little girl firefighter to rescue my 6'2" husband from a burning building and tell me its all good because we're serving diversity.

Womenare graduating in college in greater numbers and percentages than men, they are moving into professions at a greater rate than men, when using equivalent measurements of time on job they make equal salaries; why pretend artificially structuring our society for diversity is necessary or good?

Rant over
: my apologies.

Allison

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Allison. I understand your points and agree.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #28

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief

I could NEVER be qualified for, based largely on my gender, which has given me a body only 5'2" tall and a 100 lbs of body mass.

Please don't send a little girl firefighter to rescue my 6'2" husband from a burning building

Rant over: my apologies.

Allison
Allison,
A good friend of mine is not only the same frame weight and height but she was one hell of a combat medic that carried well over 75lbs of extra weight in body armor, ammo and aid bag not to mention the wounded soldier out of the direct line of fire, she is now a fire fighter and out does half of the guys in the department
I hope if I need to be carried out of a burning building she is the one there to do it. Size does have limitations- those we put on ourselves.

Rant: no apologies necessary

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote