Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the world ends that day, then there's really nothing to worry about because there really isn't anything we can do to stop it.

But just think, you probably won't have to make any more mortgage and/or motorhome payments either

What will happen on this date is a "near" galactic alignment of planets and the sun. December 21 is the winter solstice, and in 2012 the Sun on the solstice will be almost perfectly aligned with the plane of the galaxy (the Milky Way galaxy. 2012 Planetary Alignment

There are probably millions of websites touting information about 12/21/12 being, or not being the end of the world.

This site seems to give some good, educational information about the "galactic alignment" Galactic Alignment 2012 | 21-12-2012 Winter Solstice Conjunction With Dark Rift - Galactic Alignment 2012 | 11:11 21-12-2012 Maya Calendar

Then there's always wikipedia, 2012 phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I am interested in is how this "near" alignment of planets and the sun might effect our planet. We already know that the moon effects our tides and gravity.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Think about it. Would it really matter to anyone in the Universe if all life on Earth ceased to exist? Having intercepted our stupid TV commercials, life in outer space quit coming here long ago and wants nothing to do with us.

Maybe you're fan of this song?

Songwriters: HENLEY, DON / LYNCH, STANLEY

From the Arizona desertTo the Salisbury Plain
Lights on the horizon
Patterns on the grain
Anxious eyes turned upward
Clutching souvenirs
Carrying our highest hopes and our darkest fears

They swear there was an accident back in '47
Little man with a great big head
Splattered down from heaven
Government conspiracy; cover-ups and lies
Hidden in the desert under endless skies

Would they pile into the saucer
Find Orlando's rat and hug it?
Go screaming through the universe
Just to get McNuggets?
Well, I don't think so, I don't think so
It's much too dangerous, it's much too strange
Here in a world that won't give Oprah no home on the range
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #17

The Mayans pre dated their calendar, as well as setting the end date, Numbers escape me but I think the calendar covers 5000+ years, a lot of years prior to them and a number after. What I can never remember hearing, is, Was the start date the time of the last galactic alignment ?
and , If we re-set the calendar to it's start date, on 12-21-12, will it cycle through to the next alignment?
This may have come up in one of the programs I watched on this, and I slept through it.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #18

If this happens at least our tax rates won't go up on 1/1/13 and Congress will cease to exist. There is a silver lining in everything.

I don't know about you but the calendar we hang on the side of the frig ends every December 31st.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The Mayans pre dated their calendar, as well as setting the end date, Numbers escape me but I think the calendar covers 5000+ years, a lot of years prior to them and a number after. What I can never remember hearing, is, Was the start date the time of the last galactic alignment ?
and , If we re-set the calendar to it's start date, on 12-21-12, will it cycle through to the next alignment?
This may have come up in one of the programs I watched on this, and I slept through it.
Yes, it's actually the end and start of the next galactic alignment ..not necessarily the end of the world.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
The Mayan calendar was wrong. The world ended for them quite a while back.
We live on The Yucatan Peninsula one third of the year. I assure you friend, there are plenty of Mayans around right now. They still speak Mayan and live in the shadows of their ancient constructions. All I have met are industrious, hard working people.

Last year we started seeing big billboards along the highway proclaiming; 2012 A NEW BEGINNING. The promotion is an attempt to transpose hysterical thinkg about Mexico into a different channel.

As far as I can discern, the end of the Long Count on the Aztek calendar has to do with procession. Easily explained by an oversimplification: The earth wobbles as it spins. That causes the sunrise to appear to advance in relation to the constellations behind it. That date, 21 December 2012 is, besides Her birthday, the day the sunrise aligns with a new constellation. It's that easy.
For a more detailed explanation just CLICK HERE.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here you go people read this
Attached Images

mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I am going to bed on the 20th and if I get up on the 21st, so much the better. If I don't get up, well, nothing I can do about it at that point.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
The "end of the world" of FREEDOM in America could be NOVEMBER 8th, 2012 !
Old 09-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You got that right Chickadee!

burfurd
Old 09-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #25

Well, we plan to be on the back deck of a Cruise Ship in the Carribean on that day sipping a Cool Drink and watching for the big tidal wave or watever. If it all comes to pass we won't have to pay the bar bill. Bonus.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Actually I've been told on pretty good evidence that you can order the next edition of the Mayan Calendar for $4.95 plus shipping. They are not selling very well as the shipping on those stone calendars is about $1,200.00 USPS.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #27

"If it fits, it ships, for one low cost"

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Well I remember Y2K, and I can tell you I'm not going out and run up my credit cards like the last time... I'll be paying them off sometime next year......Won't ever believe any of this BS again........ Sorry, Just had to do it.......