Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
1860 Civil War book

Having travelled extensively in the US, I find that it may be time to educate myself on some US history. More specifically the 1860 Civil War. Being Danish (born and raised) my knowledge on the subject is limited, but I am keen to know more.

I am looking for a book (an e-book may be nice) that documents the facts, in a non-biased way. Looking for books on the Civil War I have a vast choice, but picking the right one becomes all the more difficult.

Can any of you recommend a book that offers strictly "matter of fact" documentary style reading?

The Great Dane
2007 Monaco Diplomat PAQ - 2007 Saturn Vue Honorary Texas Boomer
Living in Denmark - visiting the US whenever possible. www.winnebago.dk www.blog.retired.dk

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Appalachian Campers
"...in a non-biased way"

That may be a problem.

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd be interested in such a book as well.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Try Bruce Catton's trilogy on the Army of the Potomic. Mr.. Lincoln's Army, Glory Road, and A Stillness At Appomattox. You can get this as one volume Bruce Catton's Civil War. I think he won a Pulitzer Prize for History and the books were published in the 1950's. Written in a narrative style so it is enjoyable to read. Of all the books I owned on the American Civil War, these are the ones I kept. From the Confederate viewpoint, you might try books by James McPherson. Also from another perspective, try a book by Walt Whitman who was a volunteer at Union hospitals on Washington, D.C. During the war. Some of his writing will break your heart.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Perhaps a few links to consider as starting point:

U.S. Civil War - Information, Facts, and Links

The top 12 Civil War books ever written - Salon.com

Research from an Australian Priest...might be an interesting "foreigner" take.
US Civil War eBook Library

Free Free eBooks: Civil War (US) (Kindle Nook iPad PDF EPub Html) DigitalBookIndex
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Freightliner Owners Club
I read Catton's Army of the Potomac about 15 years ago and it really put the battles into perspective and chronological order.

I would also suggest you watch Ken Burn's series on the Civil War (and his one on National Parks!).

I'm headed off the Gettysburg this weekend to hike the Billy Yank and Johnny Reb trails (17 miles in total) with the Boy Scouts!
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
A "twist" on the the civil war history is a trilogy of "what if" scenario books by Newt Gingrich & William Forestchen . The trilogy (Gettysburg, Grant Comes East, & Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant, the Final Victory) begins with the premise of a Yankee loss at Gettysburg. Shelby Foote has also written several books on the Civil War. Jeff Shaara and Michael Shaara wrote books on the Civil War and three come to mind: Gods and Generals, The Killer Angels, and The Last Full Measure.
The library of civil war books is extensive.

Any public Library will have an extensive collection on the Civil War books. Amazon has an extensive collection of both hard cover and ebooks. Some of the ebooks for an ereader (Kindle) are available for free too.
2005 Suncruiser
Banks Powerpack
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
I would second the writings of Bruce Catton. Also Ken Burns' PBS series on the American Civil War is outstanding....I believe the series is available on DVD. One of the commentators therein is a Southern gentleman by the name of Shelby Foote, referred to above. I find his comments and historical insight fascinating. By the way, for a long time, those in the deep South never called it the Civil War. They referred to it as The War of Northern Aggression...seriously. There are also American "puritsts" who refer to the conflict as The War Between the States, rather than The Civil War. Regardless, the carnage of that conflict and the staggering loss of life of that war are still mind-boggling to me. You will benefit from any of the sources mentioned in the posts.
2003 Fleetwood Revolution DP
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Personally, I found the ken burns documentary too dry for me. Jeff shaara is a good writer and for a different focus, killing Lincoln is an informative and enjoyable read.
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
I always enjoy an unbiased review about the WAH of NAWthern aGRESSun.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And after you are done reading, stop in central Virginia on your next trip to the US and experience the largest collection of significant battle sites within a couple hour drive. Lived here almost 30 years and still amazed at what occurred here.
2007 Adventurer 38T w/
sway & trac bars, Koni FSDs and SafeT+
2006 Jeep Liberty toad
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
I thought James M. McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era" gave a very good picture of the whole war period. He doesn't cover the battles very extensively but rather gives the background for going to war and what is happening to both governments during the war.

As for battles, there are thousands of books on the individual battles and it would be very difficult to pick a single book. I did read Stephen W. Sears' book "Gettysburg" prior to visiting Gettysburg and it helped a great deal in understanding the battle.

Both of these books are available from Amazon for the Kindle.
Pete - Full Timing
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMHO, as a former American History teacher, the Ken Burns series is most likely to fit what you are looking for. Burns is a no nonsense historian who gives factual information . My only fault with this particular work is that is a bit too long.
Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thank you for all your suggestions.

I think that I will start with James M. McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era". I am more interested in the background for the war, rather than specific details of individual battles. Having checked on Amazon, this book gets good reviews from many readers.

Here is another good reason for my choice: The book can be downloaded for free. I got onto rapidshare.com and it worked perfectly. Now I can spend my money on one of the other suggested books.

Thank you all

The Great Dane
2007 Monaco Diplomat PAQ - 2007 Saturn Vue Honorary Texas Boomer
Living in Denmark - visiting the US whenever possible. www.winnebago.dk www.blog.retired.dk

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote