Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1945 Air Show - - Freeman Field, Seymour, Indiana!

Below is an email I received in its entirety. Credit is given to Sam Kaiser, and I have no idea who that is. As stated, the video is vintage 16mm type video but the superimposed music, great MUSIC. If you don't like the video, just close your eyes and listen - it will take you back if you are my age. Although in 1945 I was only 4 years old, the music lived on for many years.

You may need a Facebook account to view, that is the only reason I keep one. I have to friends, my wife and 1 son. Here is what I think of Facebook: "Facebook, where purposeless information is shared with friends you don't know." (It my bumper sticker)

Here it is, enjoy.
"Subject: 1945 Air Show - Worth A Look (it is 10 minutes 37 seconds long and is grainy but great).

Fascinating footage of captured enemy aircraft from a 1945 Air Show in Freeman Field, Seymour, Indiana, USA.
Thanks to Sam Kaiser - An interesting display of captured weapons. Freeman Field was in Seymour, Indiana.

For those of us over 70, this is a great video. For those of you under 70, you may not appreciate fully this video or the background music. Remember, this is four months after Germany surrendered and just one month after Japan surrendered. There was a fabulous mood in America at that time and you just had to be there and be old enough to appreciate it.
When this video was made in 1945, I was nine years old. Personally,I do not remember ever being happier in my life. In fact, I do not remember America ever being happier.
World War II was over and America had won it all. Our troops were coming home, jobs were plentiful and our entire country was in a perpetual state of euphoria. America was on top of the world and we knew it. We didn't apologize for it either.

The background music is the real deal; the actual music that was at the top of the Hit Parade in 1944-45. It took me right back to 1945 and the wonderful memories I had of that time. The background music is, I believe, Glenn Miller's band playing "In the Mood," "Tuxedo Junction," "String of Pearls" and the Tommy Dorsey orchestra with Frank Sinatra singing "I'll Be Seeing You," an absolutely perfect song for that time. In fact, it was popular for nearly the entire duration of WW-II. Listen carefully to the lyrics and put them in the context of America's boys going off to war and you will understand what I mean. "

1945 Air Show

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks Wayne, I was just a tad over one when that event happened. have no recollections of the event other than the TV, also in black and white. I think putting this into public domain is very important and useful for teaching our grandchildren.

Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
Wayne, Thank You for the clip.

I was born in 1945, the last of six kids. My oldest brother was a POW in WW2.
I enjoyed the video immensely.
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
That was Fantastic Wayne !!! Thanks so much for sharing it !! My Dad was a US Marine in that war,, and I grew up listening to that music, and still to this day I am fascinated with war birds from that era ... I still love that music,, I was in band growing up,, a trumpet player,, and learned to play several of those songs.. I got to meet Dw's Dad once before he passed away, he retired being a crew chief (I think it was called different then) on 4 engine bombers,, I sure wish I had more time to spend with him.... Thanks again,,, Excellent !!!
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Freeman Air Museum

Indiana Military, a WW2 & Korean War history site was responsible for converting the 16mm film to digital. It is a production of the Freeman Air Museum, Seymour, IN. If you noted the very large German 4 engine bomber, the Condor, it is interesting that after flying it to the US and all around the air shows, they discovered a live booby trap in one wing joint. A switch in the cockpit to activate the bomb was never used because no one could read the German lettering. Visit the site for hundreds of photos of the captured German, Japanese and Italian planes once here, along with British and experimental American aircraft.
IMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for posting this Wayne. I was 13 then and the music from that era will live on forever, at least in my mind. Sure is nice to hear vocals where the words are understandable. Thanks again
'04 Alpine 36 FDDS
Bob, Ojai, CA
K6OHI - Monitor 146.52
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
Indiana Military

The site referred too is strictly a website. No artifacts. It is the OFFICIAL website for Freeman Field, Camp Atterbury (history), Wakeman & Billings General Hospitals, German & Italian POWs in Indiana, Camp Atterbury POW Stockade, and many others. Largest private site in Indiana with more than 50 Gigabytes of pure history. No comments or interpretations. Also includes reconstructed Rosters for more than 90,000 men of the Divisions that trained at Camp Atterbury, namely the 28th, 30th, 31st, 83rd, 92nd and 106th. Many wartime camp newspapers. Hosted by the Indiana AmVets, supported by the US Army and Civilian Air Patrol.

Freeman Air Museum, located at Seymour, IN in original Link Trainer bldgs, is full of artifacts, including hundreds of recently recovered aircraft items, dug up from the field in an on-going search.

The Freeman Field portion of the site includes dozens of photos of the captured enemy aircraft once there for restoration and research. Most of the planes now at other Museums, began their journey at Freeman.

IMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Thanks for posting the link, lots of historic things to see and read about.
dieselclacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Wayne for posting.

1999 NEWMAR American Star * Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally * Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote