Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think Robert Culp was in I spy.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #58

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
There is no spelling requirement, per se, for iRV2 enrollment but most people do not realize, and/or care, that they are being judged by what and how they write and speak....
I know I have a prejudice about this, but I still take note of spelling and gramatical errors and discount the person's abilities and education when I see really poor efforts to correct their communication skills.
I was an educator for 40 years and had to teach English and spelling to even my most gifted students in Math and Science. It does little to develop the mind if it can't communicate their ideas. At least give it an effort before you press the 'Submit Reply' button. Of course we all make typos, but a little 'proofing' before posting isn't too much to ask. Flame on.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
LadyFritz - quote: "There is no spelling requirement, per se, for iRV2 enrollment but most people do not realize, and/or care, that they are being judged by what and how they write and speak"

I for one do realize people are judgmental - and here, you're pretty much dead on - I don't care. I do my best to spell and communicate as best I can. But I do not judge anyone here for anything, especially not their spelling or a little gymnastics in their grammar. Congratulations on your obvious success in dealing with the difficulties you faced. I would never have know. But had I noticed, your particular affect would not be on my pet peeve list.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #60

I did not know that we would be graded on out postings for spelling and grammer. Some people have too much time too waste.
Beowulf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #61

Ain't life great when this sort of thing is the biggest problem we have??!!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The best thing about this tread for me is, I learned my number one pet peeve is pet peeves. I don't care what your pet peeve is and don't expect anyone here to care about mine. Unless - it is something like this -

My pet peeve is RV manufacturers that put the fresh water hose hook up in with the sewer hook up ------ or the fresh water hookup in with the electric cord and inverter. Cross contamination with one and electrocution with the other. Now that's something to dither on...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #63
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have deleted a few posts that corrected other members posts. This is considered a personal attack and violates our " be nice rule ". This is one of our most important rules and separates us from a lot of other forums. Thanks for understanding.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

Andrew Jackson
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #65

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

Andrew Jackson
Jackson was infamous for spelling the same word many ways within the same document. I'm guessing he "figgered" the more variations he used, the better his chances of getting it right at least once.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #66

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll be the first to admit that my spelling leaves a lot to be desired. I have a dog eared dictionary on my desk. It gets a great deal of use. There are times when I'm away from my desk (such as now) when I do not have it at hand, so if I'm unsure of a spelling I chose another word. This is a personal preference.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Spell check helps me out more than I like, and my grammar might not be up to some peoples standard. However I think that I am fairly self sufficient and do most things for myself and I help allot of others along the way. I don't look down my nose at people that can't do those things, rather I will help them.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #68

iRV2 No Limits Club
While working with Adults with Developmental Disabilities
I learned that spelling problems are associated with dyslexia.
Which may or may not be diagnosed.

I was talking to a Vocational Rehab Counselor once about a client and she gave me that state’s diagnostic code that covered spelling disability.

Thank goodness for a spell checker
Old 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two brakes may not be enough to prevent breaks when you lose some items that remain loose in the RV.

So we need to not break too many rules or we may lose two or three members unless we put the brakes on
post about pet peeves.

Ken
Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #70

This is just one reason American English is the hardest language in the world to learn correctly. However it also makes it easy to spot email scams from other countries; if the recipient knows sentence construction and proper grammar.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

« Route 66 | Mercedes »