Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Thom works on automatically guided vehicles. In other words robotic vehicles. They use laser guidance. When things go wrong the guys have to fill out paperwork on what is wrong, which one and various other things needed to diagnose the problem(s). He got one from guy that had laser misspelled among other words. Now mind you it says laser on the vehicles. Thom then went on to correct the spelling and various other errors. The guy got upset because as he put it "We need spell checker on the computer! I don't have a spell checker!" That night when we went shopping Thom picked up a nice little school sized dictionary and put signs on it saying things like "Spell checker, no batteries needed!" It only cost him $1 during school season. Spelling things correctly in his line of work is a must.
Oh that guys (and the other people in the office) response to the dictionary? They loved it and use it all the time now.

When the kids were growing up the kids would ask about whatever word 'What does that mean?" Our response was "Here's the dictionary, look it up". After the first few times they stopped asking and would just go for it to look it up and would actually end up reading several pages of it at a time. Joshua does that now with Lisa, our granddaughter, lol.

EDIT: as for those sentences and paragraphs with the words purposely misspelled? I cannot even look at them as they give me a headache trying to read them. I am not the only one either, I know several people that have a hard time with them and will just glance over them as they make no sense to me or them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
"The spirit of communication should not be chained by technique"
Like a lot! ^^^^^

Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post

EDIT: as for those sentences and paragraphs with the words purposely misspelled? I cannot even look at them as they give me a headache trying to read them. I am not the only one either, I know several people that have a hard time with them and will just glance over them as they make no sense to me or them.
Oh, what a boring world if we were all the same.
I find those posts fun to read, challenging, and stimulating for the mind.

I like the idea that people can be who they are here, without prejudice.
There are certainly places where spelling counts, and places where it doesn't count.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #88

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Darn it. Know kraut. Have too use coal slaw.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Spellcheck is the first thing I disable. THAT is my pet-peeve
I always used the spelly check. thes problemn started a long time ago , my son is 38 and they did not teach spelling nore count off for mistspelt words after grade skool .
Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #90

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I feel like Flagship1--the purpose of it all is effective communication, as long as you understand what the person is trying to relate to you, that is acheived=OK--Vince
Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #91

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Vince! Btw - I added a little queue cumber to my sand witch. It was worth it's wait in gold bull yon.

On Edit: any questions - anyone?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #92

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
"The spirit of communication should not be chained by technique"
Unless you want to be sure you are understood. Example, remove the capitaliztion from this sentence:

[moderator edit]

Remove the commas from this sentence and see how the meaning changes:

Eats, leaves, and shoots.

Annoying and/or difficult though "technique" may be to learn, it is there for a reason.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #93

Entegra Owners Club
Getting people to ignore the "facts" in a briefing

Having just retired from working in a technical environment, I can disclose the tactic that some people would use when preparing a briefing for senior people. They would intentionally make a few spelling errors early in the briefing slides so that the seniors would spend their effort looking for more spelling errors rather than listening to the "facts and figures" that were being presented. This would draw their attention away from thinking about whether the actual information being presented was true or not. It's sort of like the magician's use of distraction during his magic tricks. Just saying . . ..
BethLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #94

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Wolfpack Fan. I'm going to have some brought worse for lunch today and reed my lexicon. I prefer mayan on hole wheat or wry with kraut and no muss turd. Eye was brat up eating it that weigh. Have you tried it that whey? This is why word play and word games are sew popular. Any wonder why people have trouble chew sing the right won??
Love it! You misspelled mayenaze.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pobody is nerfect.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #96

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearguy
Pobody is nerfect.
Can I quote you on that? Lol.

Ok - here is the secret to writing. Write as you speak. This is your "voice". When your voice and your written word are in sync, you will be understood. Don't over think things or attempt to elevate your written word above your spoken word. If you have something meaningful to say, you will be understood. If you are merely pontificating or exercising your education in the rules of punctuation it will be apparent to those who read or hear you. They will not be impressed unless you are Dick Cavett or the late William F Buckley Jr. Punctuation keeps things from running together just as breathing does when speaking. Use commas sparingly. A dash or two sprinkled here and there will do nicely. Simple sentences are fine. And for social media - don't worry about any of it. There is no paycheck or report card at the end of the month.

I much prefer word play over mechanics. But, if you can master writing and reading aloud like Victor Borge in Phonetic Punctuation, you may have a career in entertainment ahead. Less likely is a career in teaching grammar and punctuation on iRV2.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
LadyFlitz, Sorry my statement does not meet your standards, but it's not your quote to change it's mine.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #98
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Remember Norm Crosby?

Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon (1987) Norm Crosby - YouTube

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Route 66 | Mercedes »