Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #99

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE="Route 66"]Remember Norm Crosby?

-----------------
Malaprop is difficult. So I will not try my hand at that. But I will say this. So sorry to learn that he is alive, after thinking him dead for years.

Mangling the English language is truly an art form.

Type on my fellow RVers. Nobody of confidence is deglazing your choice of words or sentence constriction.

Had to give it a try.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Can I quote you on that? Lol.

If you are merely pontificating or exercising your education in the rules of punctuation it will be apparent to those who read or hear you. They will not be impressed unless you are Dick Cavett or the late William F Buckley Jr. Punctuation keeps things from running together just as breathing does when speaking. Use commas sparingly. A dash or two sprinkled here and there will do nicely. Simple sentences are fine. And for social media - don't worry about any of it. There is no paycheck or report card at the end of the month.

I much prefer word play over mechanics. But, if you can master writing and reading aloud like Victor Borge in Phonetic Punctuation, you may have a career in entertainment ahead. Less likely is a career in teaching grammar and punctuation on iRV2.

Read this with emphasis on the bolded word, brings very different meanings to the same sentence:

I didn't say you took the cookie.

The written word approximately 7% of communication.
Both body language and tone of voice are much bigger indicators in reading messages.

Body Language - guide to reading body language signals in management, training, courtship, flirting and other communications and relationships

Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr

Read this with emphasis on the bolded word, brings very different meanings to the same sentence:

The written word approximately 7% of communication.
Both body language and tone of voice are much bigger indicators in reading messages.

Body Language - guide to reading body language signals in management, training, courtship, flirting and other communications and relationships
I'm buckled over laughing at THE cookie. You will have to take my word for it.

From the link provided - I take issue with only the following....

"body language warning
Body language is not an exact science.
No single body language sign is a reliable indicator."

I can think of a single digit extension that is a reliable indicator and I am not referring to PI at 16 places to the right of the decimal. Lol and great big
Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #102
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
There is no spelling requirement, per se, for iRV2 enrollment but most people do not realize, and/or care, that they are being judged by what and how they write and speak (curiously enough, the worst offenders are the ones who care least). ...........
I am to confident in myself to care what others may think of me. I know who I am, and I am proud of myself and my simple accomplishments in life. So you are correct in that I, personally, do not care what anyone may be thinking.

If there were laws against what someone was thinking there would be a lot more people in court, and possibly jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I know I have a prejudice about this, but I still take note of spelling and gramatical errors and discount the person's abilities and education when I see really poor efforts to correct their communication skills.
I was an educator for 40 years and had to teach English and spelling to even my most gifted students in Math and Science. It does little to develop the mind if it can't communicate their ideas. At least give it an effort before you press the 'Submit Reply' button. Of course we all make typos, but a little 'proofing' before posting isn't too much to ask. Flame on.

Well, I don't particularly care to be the one of bad tidings, but for someone who has taught English and spelling, you must realize that "gramatical" is an incorrect spelling and it should be "grammatical." I guess the point here is that everyone has the potential to hit an extra key, or not hit a key when it it should be required.
Yes, flame on indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwhit View Post
That is reely neet! Seriously I didn't have any trouble reading it but I would be hard pressed to type it out like you did. Nice job!
Confession: I didn't type it, I copied it from one of the many places that has that type of mumbo-jumbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
The one that bugs me the most is misuse of they're, there, their.

Their RV is parked over there and they're walking across the parking lot.

There now, I brought that UP and got it off my chest. Now I'll shut UP.
I am so guilty of that and it is not because I don't know the difference, it is just the way the mind works sometimes with fingers flying.

I type at 70+ wpm, at least that is what I have been tested at some years ago and I may not type that fast when the mind has to think of what to say, but from copy-type I do indeed type that fast. Different keyboards also have a tendency to speed up or slow down my typing.

For the most part my browser shows a misspelled word in red underline. It is easy to right click on it and choose the correct spelling. However, in word substitution it is not so simple as many of the grammatically incorrect words are spelled correctly. As an example: "on" for "one, or "the" for "then," and others. it is just the fingers not hitting the keys in the correct sequence. Thank goodness it knows to correct "teh" into "the."

In all the posts I have read there have only been a couple that really looked like the Scotch bottle had been used extensively before the poster typed. The other occasional poo-pah typos are not worth caring about either.

Happy trails. (So many times I have typed "trials" but have caught myself.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #103

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I am to confident in myself to care what others may think of me. I know who I am, and I am proud of myself and my simple accomplishments in life.

Well, I don't particularly care to be the one of bad tidings, but for someone who has taught English and spelling, you must realize that "gramatical" is an incorrect spelling and it should be "grammatical." I guess the point here is that everyone has the potential to hit an extra key, or not hit a key when it it should be required.
Adjective

1. gramatical m and f (plural gramaticais)
of or pertaining to grammar

2. grammatical; following the rules of grammar

Actually, both are correct and gramatical doesn't show up as a misspelling in my spell check.

If you really didn't care what people thought, would you dress the way you do? Allow your RV to be covered in mud and bugs? We ALL care about what people think.
I taught many subjects over the years, a few of them teaching adult education on employment skills. We Interviewed many business HR folks in writing the grant for funding our program. Their input helped us decide what to teach. The most comments were on dressing appropriately for the job they were interviewing for, and good writing and speaking skills because the new hires would represent them to the public. It was very important to them.

Sure, we all miss a letter or a word, but ignoring all punctuation, grammar, and sentence structure to the point of being incomprehensible defeats the purpose of this forum, to communicate and help each other in the RV community.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #104

I could care less about spelling. My Pet peeves is people answering a thread when they don't own what ever it is and don't have a clue. Sorry to change your thread.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #105
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I could care less about spelling. My Pet peeves is people answering a thread when they don't own what ever it is and don't have a clue. Sorry to change your thread.

YES! - What "Tha-Rooster" said x 10.

It's not really off topic 'cuz it is a Pet Peeve
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #106
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
This is just the beginning, from what I have read it does not make any difference in what order words are written as long as the first and last are in the proper order. If the teachers can't spell how do you expect them to teach spelling and penmanship is no longer part of the curriculum. Pehaps they should put down their picket signs and learn the job, our future and their students futures are in their hands.

Okay, you can now flame me.

Don G.
Can you imagine what would happen if a teaching job paid as much as a star athlete makes? Or if we paid teachers based on performance and freed them from all the meaningless and menial tasks?

I've been visiting Disney World this week. Almost all who work here have a college degree or are close -- even those who sweep up the sidewalks. The way I understand it, Disney hires from within -- many very bright young people take any job so they can put a foot on the Disney success ladder. What marvelous bosses they will make some day, knowing what it's like to be on the bottom rung.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #107

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just choke the life out of the social aspect of iRV2, start at 8 in spit shined shoes, a suit and tie and vie for our positions as best dressed, cleanest shaved, well written, most coherent, perfect speller in the group, and hit the door last just in case someone is watching.

Can anyone detect the sarcasm, or too subtle? I will try harder to never wish anyone good luck with a problem I don't have. I admit it. I did it today. Please don't tell the boss on me. My review is coming up.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #108

Country Coach Owners Club
Whose on first?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #109

iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=flaggship1;1454642]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66
Remember Norm Crosby?

-----------------
Malaprop is difficult. So I will not try my hand at that. But I will say this. So sorry to learn that he is alive, after thinking him dead for years.

Mangling the English language is truly an art form.

Type on my fellow RVers. Nobody of confidence is deglazing your choice of words or sentence constriction.

Had to give it a try.
I frequently get my tang tongled around my eye teeth and can't see what I am saying.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuydog View Post
Whose on first?
That's right, what's on second.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I'm buckled over laughing at THE cookie. You will have to take my word for it.

From the link provided - I take issue with only the following....

"body language warning
Body language is not an exact science.
No single body language sign is a reliable indicator."

I can think of a single digit extension that is a reliable indicator and I am not referring to PI at 16 places to the right of the decimal. Lol and great big
True, not an exact science, but it is often used to interpret testimonies in courts of law as well as police interrogations.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #112

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr

True, not an exact science, but it is often used to interpret testimonies in courts of law as well as police interrogations.
To tell ya truth - I've thought about it since, and concluded that depending on other body language - the meaning of the extended digit can vary widely. For instance - I could be smiling and both of us laughing and shooting those birds all in good fun. So - still holds up. Seems we'd probably have a great conversation over a cold one sometime. Lol.

« Route 66 | Mercedes »