Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I am really guilty of loosing things and most of the time because they are lose.
But it doesn't matter.

Read below, you really can read it.

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.
That is reely neet! Seriously I didn't have any trouble reading it but I would be hard pressed to type it out like you did. Nice job!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #72

If you can read this you have a strong mind:
TH15 M3554G3
53RV35 TO PR0V3 H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N D0 4M4Z1NG TH1NG5! 1MPR3551V3 TH1NG5! 1N TH3
B3G1NN1NG 1T WA5 H4RD BUT NOW, ON TH15 LIN3 YOUR M1ND 1S R34D1NG 1T
4UT0M4T1C4LLY W1TH OUT 3V3N TH1NK1NG 4B0UT 1T, B3 PROUD! 0NLY C34RT41N P30PL3
...C4N R3AD TH15.
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #73

There is no spelling requirement, per se, for iRV2 enrollment but most people do not realize, and/or care, that they are being judged by what and how they write and speak (curiously enough, the worst offenders are the ones who care least). Also, communication is hampered when spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, etc. are less than optimal. Sure, most people can read a paragraph that has all the words misspelled except for the first and last letters but most people won’t bother because it takes significantly longer. Not only does the writer lose much of the audience who can read it, those who can’t are also lost.

Too often, I’ve seen otherwise intelligent people held back in their jobs because of poor writing skills. Not being able to fill out an employment application correctly costs an amazing number of people to be not considered for employment. At my last job, I saw many of the applications received for simple, entry level jobs that got no more than a glance because the poor writing skills displayed strongly suggested the applicant wasn’t intelligent enough to handle the job (running a cash register, stocking, and cleaning). The saddest thing was these were all high school graduates; a few even had some college under their belts (or so they claimed).

Like it or not, one’s spelling abilities do affect others’ perception on intelligence and credibility. There is no excuse in the U.S. for people born and raised here to not be able to learn basic writing skills, including spelling. Even those with all but the most severe learning disabilities can learn basic writing skills or aids to help with their difficulties. I have ADHD (which didn’t get diagnosed until my early fifties) and a mild form of dyslexia and I still manage to do just fine; I just have to work harder at it.

To the quote above:

What other people think of me is none of my business!
And I'd bet many who are not good spellers could easily read the message in the post above.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesview View Post
If we say "off of", why do we not say "on of"?
How about the word up? UP

There is a two-letter word
That perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that is 'UP.'

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP ?
At a meeting, why does a topic come UP ?
Why do we speak UP and why are the
Officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report ?

We call UP our friends.
And we use it to brighten UP a room,
polish UP the silver; we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen.
We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car.
At other times the little word has real special meaning.
People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an Appetite,
and think UP excuses. To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.
We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night.

We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP
! To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP in the dictionary.
In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4th of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions.
If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used.
It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a
hundred or more..
When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP . When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP...

When it rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP.

When it doesn't rain for awhile, things dry UP.

One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now my time is UP, so........it is time to shut UP!

Oh . . . one more thing:

What is the first thing you do in the morning & the last thing you do at night? U....P
Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #75

National RV Owners Club
The one that bugs me the most is misuse of they're, there, their.

Their RV is parked over there and they're walking across the parking lot.

There now, I brought that UP and got it off my chest. Now I'll shut UP.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #76

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
There is no spelling requirement, per se, for iRV2 enrollment but most people do not realize, and/or care, that they are being judged by what and how they write and speak (curiously enough, the worst offenders are the ones who care least). Also, communication is hampered when spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, etc. are less than optimal. Sure, most people can read a paragraph that has all the words misspelled except for the first and last letters but most people won’t bother because it takes significantly longer. Not only does the writer lose much of the audience who can read it, those who can’t are also lost.

Too often, I’ve seen otherwise intelligent people held back in their jobs because of poor writing skills. Not being able to fill out an employment application correctly costs an amazing number of people to be not considered for employment. At my last job, I saw many of the applications received for simple, entry level jobs that got no more than a glance because the poor writing skills displayed strongly suggested the applicant wasn’t intelligent enough to handle the job (running a cash register, stocking, and cleaning). The saddest thing was these were all high school graduates; a few even had some college under their belts (or so they claimed).

Like it or not, one’s spelling abilities do affect others’ perception on intelligence and credibility. There is no excuse in the U.S. for people born and raised here to not be able to learn basic writing skills, including spelling. Even those with all but the most severe learning disabilities can learn basic writing skills or aids to help with their difficulties. I have ADHD (which didn’t get diagnosed until my early fifties) and a mild form of dyslexia and I still manage to do just fine; I just have to work harder at it.

To the quote above from Lady Fritz:
What other people think of me is none of my business!
And I'd bet many who are not good spellers could easily read the message in the post above.
Very well stated. Before I got promoted to sales from management, I reviewed resumes and online applications before scheduling interviews. Some folks still got an interview, but they came in with a disadvantage right from the start. Dressing for an interview is another subject I could rant on a bit, but it's not in keeping with the spirit of the thread.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
The one that bugs me the most is misuse of they're, there, their.

Their RV is parked over there and they're walking across the parking lot.

There now, I brought that UP and got it off my chest. Now I'll shut UP.
Haha! you got that write!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #78

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
Haha! you got that write!
Brought the biggest smile to my face!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan

Brought the biggest smile to my face!
Darn strait.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #80

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Darn strait.
Again!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #81

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy3972 View Post
I'll be the first to admit that my spelling leaves a lot to be desired. I have a dog eared dictionary on my desk. It gets a great deal of use. There are times when I'm away from my desk (such as now) when I do not have it at hand, so if I'm unsure of a spelling I chose another word. This is a personal preference.
The fact that you care enough to use your dictionary is commendable. I use M$ Word to check my spelling. Nothing wrong with using synonyms when unsure of spelling.

Synonym = the word you use in place of the one you can't spell.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #82

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wolfpack Fan. I'm going to have some brought worse for lunch today and reed my lexicon. I prefer mayan on hole wheat or wry with kraut and no muss turd. Eye was brat up eating it that weigh. Have you tried it that whey? This is why word play and word games are sew popular. Any wonder why people have trouble chew sing the right won??
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #83
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
The spelling error that stands out to me is "alot" instead of "a lot". It was way back in sixth grade when the teacher said that was the thing that would automatically get anyone an F on a paper. Obviously her pet peeve that I haven't been able to forget for all these years.

It amazes me, often times, when I take the time to proofread my posts before hitting submit. It's easy for my mind to get ahead of my fingers when posting. Especially when using this iPad.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
"The spirit of communication should not be chained by technique"

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

« Route 66 | Mercedes »