Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Constitutional Amendment: "Marriage- It's Only Temporary!"
Yes! I want a way out- if not today, two years from now will do. 13 38.24%
No! If God wanted me to be single, He wouldn't have made fitted sheets or spiders. 11 32.35%
I'm too wishy washy to have an opinion. 4 11.76%
Don't bother me right now- I'm at the "Rent-a-Life" chatroom. 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #15

I proposed a 5 year marriage system 20 years ago... no divorce allowed. Marriage automatically dissolves unless both parties agreed for another 5 year term. Kids where split up by decision during pregnancy. All property earned during the 5 years, divided also. No such thing as alimony. Anyway, you need to think about how badly marriage seems to work out today and how differently it might work if you knew you would be alone in 5 years if you didn’t behave properly.

Just something to think about, hey?

Oh, I’m on my second for 25 years now…
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #16

I've been married 41 years.....25 the first time and 16 the second. There are times I'd want it to be renewable and there are times I wouldn't want it that way. I think that's how most of us are.

As to the problem of children being born in single parent households...well, our tax code actually encourages it by providing some pretty good benefits to those who are in that situation. I had a woman come in this past tax season who had two children and lived with a guy who was not the father of the children. Her W-2 wages were $24,000 and her refunds were $11,000 due to the benefits provided to single parent households. Not much of a discouragement with those types of "benefits" provided by the Feds and NY State. That isn't a political statement, only one of fact.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #17

Way outed 4 times way ined 5 times. Finally found out that it's true. My old man told me "listen kid, women are the potholes in the highway of life"
Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Heavily Catholic country... Wonder what the Pope has to say?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I know a couple who were not married but lived together for 20 years with no kids when they decided to get married. Shortly after they were married he lost part of his hand in an industrial accident and could not work. He subsequently became addicted to his pain medication and started stealing money from her, who had a very good job, to support his habit. Six months later they were divorced. Six months after that they were back living together and are now very happy. Go figure.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
All other licenses expire why not a marriage license? I was married by a judge and it says marriage license not civil union. A LEGAL marriage is betwee you yoy spouce and the state.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm, too bad we can't get the RV industry to incorporate something like this into the fold.

To avoid higher divorce rates in this country, maybe we should require a 'marriage humor' class prior to the 'sealing' of the prospective couple's nuptials. My bride and I have been married a total of 55 years...ahhh, but not to each other, though. It's both our 2nd time around and in the six years we've been married, we(I) try to interject a daily dose of humor... seems to enhance an already great relationship. Well, most of the time.

There was the time I crawled out from under the RV after fixing a bad starter ground connection in 100 degree temps and covered in sand. I commented that "there are times I feel that I'm married to two women...no matter how gently you treat 'em, at some point down the road of life, both are going to give ya some problems". I knew she was standing there but apparently the humor was lost in the comparison...my best sheepish grin failed me and that's when it got real quite in the immediate area. Most times humor works, other times...not so much. Like when I (tongue in cheek) introduced the DW as my 'current wife' to a fellow camper...that's when I learned how facial expressions can change in a New York second!

In retrospect, maybe the two year thingie isn't such a good idea. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #22

iRV2 No Limits Club
While I realize the poll is tongue in cheek, I didn't vote because none of the options fit my views.

In the spirit of separation of Church and State, I feel that the only legally recognized "marriages" should be government sanctioned civil unions. If one also wants a religious ceremony (as I would if I ever remarry), that would be fine and both could be achieved with one service.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
But that's the way it already is in the U.S.A., Ladyfitz! Only the Government can Legitimize a Marriage here.

No religious ceremony results in a Legal Marriage without a Civil License from the State in which the marriage occurs.

Francesca
Old 10-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #24

Oh, that reminds me, (from above) I am a constant joker and always getting myself in trouble pushing the line. So sometimes I introduce my "live in" as my ex-girlfriend... they say "Oh that's nice that you two can still get along..."

Then I say yeah, well it's because she's my wife now! Get it? Ha ha ha...

So one day she beats me to the intro saying... "hello, I'd like to introduce you to my first husband"... same reaction... So I turn to her and say: "wait a minute, I'm supposed to be the joker in this family!"

She says: "Payback is hell, isn't it Dennis?"

Gotta watch this girl! (giggle)
Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #25

Sort'a like; Try it before you buy it?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #26

I think it's to late for me.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Personally I think this is silly in a place like the US or Canada. These days it's easy to "try out" a marriage. Simply live together before you tie the knot! We "tried it" for 10 years and then decided to make it official for life. In my home country (Denmark) many never get married. There are no issues with it and you can easily sign documents that share property and kids without the license and without making a solemn vow before God.

A temporary license only makes sense (in my mind) in a country where living together (unmarried) is not supported by the government or local custom/religion. In THAT case it can be very helpful and could allow couples to experience being together without the need for a permanent bond. This could help prevent abuse or other problems esp. If local customs/religion are against divorce.

Just my 2 cents anyway
Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #28

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
But that's the way it already is in the U.S.A., Ladyfitz! Only the Government can Legitimize a Marriage here.

No religious ceremony results in a Legal Marriage without a Civil License from the State in which the marriage occurs.

Francesca
True, but the criteria under which a marriage license can be issued has been based on religious principles and is becoming more and more so. Again, a violation of the separation of Church and State Principle which is based on the First Admemdment of the Constitution.
Closed Thread