Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
2000 E150 4.6L V8 Problem

OK, here's a question for you ford guys:

I have a 2000 model E150 conversion van with the 4.6L V8 engine. I bought this one so the DW can ferry her elderly mom and aunt around in relative comfort and have space for all their accoutrements (wheel chairs, etc). Runs like a top... except when it doesn't.

Twice now, she has parked it, and when she returned it would not start. It turns over strong but will not fire. It has never given her any trouble when driving, only after she shuts it down.

After a period of time, it'll fire right up like nothing was ever wrong, and run fine.

The first time it happened, she was at McDonalds and called me. I grabbed my toolbox, and got there as quick as I could. They were all inside enjoying their McYucky food. I hopped in the van, turned the key, and it fired right up.

I chalked it all up to temporary DW insanity, and haven't thought about it since.

'Till Yesterday. They were at Walmart, illegally parked (as they often do to minimize the parking lot walk distance for the elderlies), and the van wouldn't start. This time I was nearby when she called and got there in a minute or two. Van would crank but not start. I had it towed to a nearby mechanic (who was closed for the day).

Mechanic guy calls me today, and asks whats up with the van. I tell him it won't start. He says it started right up for him, no problem. I told him the story, and he says "Sounds like it might be the fuel pump. I'll put one on for $600 and we'll see if it happens again".

So he's throwing $600 repairs at the problem hoping he'll fix it? I don't think so. I pay him his $85 diagnostic fee, and drive the van home, no problems.

I can put a fuel pump on for about $100 and a half day of my time, but this problem doesn't smell like fuel pump to me. What's it sound like to you guys (or gals where applicable)?

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

Read any codes?

Get a low buck reader at parts house, cheapest one is good enough.

Show every driver how to use, most are plug in, turn on key, push button.

Plug next to sterring wheel.

Leave it in truck, when failed, read codes then.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Sorry, left that out of the original post. Mechanic dude says no codes were stored. Check engine light was not on.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

Next time it happens, check to see if the "check engine" light is on when you just turn the key in the on position and it should turn off when cranking. Also when it does not start, Just apply light throttle pedal pressure to open the throttle plate. If you have a stuck closed IAC, it will allow the engine to start. If this occurs, looks like a bad IAC. I don't think it is a fuel pump at this time. Usually they cause a stalling condition or low power condition. If there is not fuel pump pressure, check the electrical system to it first. If the pump relay is not working correctly, you just installed a new pump when it was not needed.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Next time it happens, check to see if the "check engine" light is on when you just turn the key in the on position and it should turn off when cranking. Also when it does not start, Just apply light throttle pedal pressure to open the throttle plate. If you have a stuck closed IAC, it will allow the engine to start. If this occurs, looks like a bad IAC. I don't think it is a fuel pump at this time. Usually they cause a stalling condition or low power condition. If there is not fuel pump pressure, check the electrical system to it first. If the pump relay is not working correctly, you just installed a new pump when it was not needed.
Thanks for that info, James. I don't feel like it's the pump either, and the relay was first on my list to check. The fact that there have not been ANY performance issues when it's running seems to indicate something other than the pump to me.

Question: If i get down on the ground near the fuel tank, and have a helper to turn the ignition key on, should I be able to hear the fuel pump spin up?
Old 09-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #6

Yes you should. It can vary by the amount of fuel in the tank but typically you can hear it. Removing the gas cap and listening in the fill hole may help. I would perform test listens though. Listen when it does start with low and high fuel levels. Maybe even let your wife listen in so she can tell if it occurs again. Unfortunately these types of problems can be difficult to diag since it is intermittent.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #7

Codes not always stored.

Readers are handy, ours was $20.00...

If power issue then may not store code.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ramblin,
it sounds like you could have a vapor lock.
to test for vapor lock, i would add about a gallon of kerosene to a full or nearly full fuel tank of regular gas. this will lower the vapor pressure.
if that solves the problem, start checking for heat sources near the fuel lines. move the lines or insulate them near heat sources.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
ramblin,
it sounds like you could have a vapor lock.
to test for vapor lock, i would add about a gallon of kerosene to a full or nearly full fuel tank of regular gas. this will lower the vapor pressure.
if that solves the problem, start checking for heat sources near the fuel lines. move the lines or insulate them near heat sources.
These fuel injected engines don't suffer from vapor lock. The high pressure fuel systems will return the vapor back into fuel with the use if the high fuel line pressures. Even if there was vapor lock, the engine would try to start and will after some trying. There were some issues in the mid 90's with some minor vapor lock on the lower fuel pressure systems with the winter blend fuels on early warm winter days. But it was pretty obvious and the engine would start. Just not well.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #10

Factory security system? If so, see if the light goes out with the key on. Not sure about the Ford, but have had similar problems with multiple GMs. Security key fails to recognize and cuts fuel during startup. Mechanic kept wanting to replace fuel pump. Leaving key in ignition for a few and it would fire right up. Eventually replaced ignition and problem it's gone. Might not be it, but thought it'd toss it out there.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg View Post
Factory security system? If so, see if the light goes out with the key on. Not sure about the Ford, but have had similar problems with multiple GMs. Security key fails to recognize and cuts fuel during startup. Mechanic kept wanting to replace fuel pump. Leaving key in ignition for a few and it would fire right up. Eventually replaced ignition and problem it's gone. Might not be it, but thought it'd toss it out there.

Ford has what is called PATS for their security. The vans do not have it but it is a great idea to check if there was an aftermarket security or remote start that is acting up.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
UPDATE: Pulled and replaced the fuel pump relay ($18). The old one had some corrosion on the terminals, so maybe that was the problem. Here's a pic of the old one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130921_152457.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	46505

Not sure if this will fix it, we'll see. It was months between the last two failures, so not sure how long it'll take to regain my confidence in this vehicle.

Thanks to all who responded so far.