Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Texas Boomers Club
3 Historical Life Events...

Three Historical Life Events…

In one’s lifetime there are at least 3 historical events that occured in which you remember where you were when you heard the news.

Although I have many my top 3 are:

1. John F. Kennedy Assassination

I was in the 5th grade sitting at my classroom desk when the principle made the announcement over the speaker. Several of my classmates broke out into tears.

2. Neil Armstrong 1st stepped onto the Moon

My brother & I were at home watching the event on our small black & white TV screen.

3. 911 World Trade Centers

I was setting at my work desk listening to the radio when the event occurred. Went to our lunch room and watched the events unfold on the TV. WOW!, I could not believe my eyes what I was seeing!

I could name several more but these 3 will be etched into my mind forever!

2005 Montana Mountaineer
Huffman, Texas
goldpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Same three for me, too.

My then fiancee and I were at an annual Rotary Club dinner dance with my folks in the UK when the news of the JFK assassinatiion was announced. We went home wondering if a nuclear war was imminent.

For the moon landing, we were at home in Kent, Washington, watching on a mononchrome TV. I got laid off from Boeing shortly afterwards and ended up working at NASA-Langley. I subseqently met Neil Armstrong when we were doing simulations for Skylab.

On 9/11, I was at work as a contract engineer at Boeing, after retiring in 1998. Many of us went into a TV-equipped conference room and watched. In November, all contract engineers were terminated because of an expected major downturn in air travel.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, these are life changing events that will never be forgotten.

I was in the hospital for emergency appendix surgery and the next morning, Kennedy was assissinated.

The moon landing, I do not remember where I was or what I was doing.

The World Trade center....I was at work when my wife called with the news. I had a small B&W TV at work that we watched the towers come down.

Kennedy and the World Trade centers will never be forgotten in my mind.

But as for three personal things that will always top the list:
1, The day I married my beautiful and loving wife.
2. The day our wonderful daughter was born.
3. The day Grandson #1 and #2 were born.

These were the greatest days in my life.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
All these events i do remember very will. I have three more that stick out for me.

1. The 1971 SanFernando Valley Earth Quake at O' Dark thrity as a i call it. All big earth quakes seem to happen in the dark.

2. 31 jan 1986. My Navy ship was pulling into Pearl Harbor Naval base at that exact time and we heard of the Challenger explosion on take off on the radio.

3. World Trade Center. Being called in to duty on my ship (hawaii is six hours behind NY) to get the ship underway without Fuel, 5" ammo or missiles only 50 cal ammo. Mission to Guard Honolulu air port and shoot down any suspected aircraft with 50 cal ammo. What a way to start the day that no one i know will ever forget it.
Scott Stielow IC1(SW) USN Retired
Scotty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
This may show my "young" age, but here we go:

1. The space shuttle Challenger blowing up. Watched it in class when I was in grade school.

2. The Columbine high school shootings. I was a year or two out of highschool working as a television salesman and watched it all unfold on the TVs at work. 40-50 people just stood around watching...

3. 9-11. I was getting ready to leave for work that morning when I turned on the TV. There was discussion about it (the first hit) being an accident or small plane, then I got to watch the second impact 'live'. FOREVER burned into my memory. Went to work and watched the towers come down on my bosses TV. I was a pool cleaner in Arizona (so not directly affected), but aspired to become an airline pilot. I immediately made the connection about what this would mean to my future plans as well...
Dad|Mom|The Twins|The Little One|The Boy|The Blog
1999 Chevy Suburban C1500 --Seating for 9 when we're moving
2006 Gulfstream Innsbruck Lite 25RSL --Sleeping for 9 when we're not
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Kennedy: Collecting money from houses on my paper route - watching through screen doors to news.

Moon: Just arrived to start my shift at the Naval Nuclear Power School in Idaho and they piped the broadcast through the PA system.

9/11: Taking a break between teaching classes at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in GA and was watching the TV in the break area, watched live the second plane hit the towers. Later that day I heard that fellow LEO and my friend was on flight 93 that went down in PA.
2005 Itasca Meridian 34H w/350 Cat
plus 450 W solar power
2009 Jeep Wrangler
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by Rmiscoord View Post
Later that day I heard that fellow LEO and my friend was on flight 93 that went down in PA.

You reminded me of another event etched in my mine when you mentioned flight 93 during the 911 attack.

Remember what the passenger Todd Beamer's last words were when he organized a group of men to fight back aganist the terrorist hijackers?

"Are you guys ready?

LET'S ROLL!!!!!"

The phrase became the USA battlecry.
2005 Montana Mountaineer
Huffman, Texas
goldpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Not in chronological order, but:

1) the Coulmbine shootings. Seeing those kids clinging to the police officers a day before they would have dreaded seeing in their rear view mirror, and hearing about the cold, calculated way the cowards carried it out....just made me wonder what, as a society, we are missing in the what we teach our kids, what we're missing, and why to this day we still can't see what's happening in our world.

2) the Challenger explosion. I was in college, getting ready to go to Western Civ. They were televising the launch, and I've followed the space launches since the Apollo missions. At first I wasn't sure what I was seeing, then the big explosion, and I knew these seven people would never see their families again. The next thing I remember, was some callous, jackwagon of a news reporter shoving a microphone into the faces of the parents of one of the astronauts and trying to get an interview from them while they watched their child die. I think I really started to lose my respect for main stream media about that time.

3) 9/11. I don't think there are many alive who haven't been touched in some way by the event or its aftermath. I was on my way to my north, just started out, when it came over the radio. This was a station that was known for stupid practical jokes, so I just thought this was just a particularly tasteless one, but something in their voices told me this was not the case. Then I thought maybe it was a horrible accident, then the second one hit, and I knew we were under attack. I stopped at my store as I had internet access there, and confirmed what was going on. Then I sent my employees home to be with there families and started making calls to the stores in NY to see what they were going to need. The next week was spent shipping water, 2 cycle oil, batteries, anything else the stores were supplying the crews with to help shuttle workers back and forth.
1MadScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I was a little young for JFK, but vividly remember the deaths of Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King, as well as the untimely demises of Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and John Bulishi.

One thing that stands out to this day is Reagan on TV, shouting "Mr. Gorbachov, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!"

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote