Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #15

Hate it when truth hurts

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #16

So starting in the 50's the US started laying mile after mile of concrete ribbon called the interstate hiway system. At about this same time people started moving to the "burbs" and wanted paved roads to get them there. I read in the paper all the time how a new housing development wants paved roads and they want the county to maintain them.

Then they find out they have to be maintained/repaired/rebuilt. Don't want to raise the gas tax to fund it, don't want to increase income/property tax to fund them, are being told to buy electric cars which use the roads but don't buy gas, and now will be told to buy cars that get 54+ mpg further reducing the gas tax collections. More and more Americans qualifying to NOT pay any taxes at either the fed or state level.

Anyone else see a problem here? IF we want roads so we can drive our toys we got to find a way to pay for them.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
my vote for the worst road is I40 around OK city. the concrete is all busted up and in very bad shape.
Ironic though in the same state is Weatherford, Oklahoma and the OLD route 66 concrete is smooth ans crack free.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
So starting in the 50's the US started laying mile after mile of concrete ribbon called the interstate hiway system. At about this same time people started moving to the "burbs" and wanted paved roads to get them there. I read in the paper all the time how a new housing development wants paved roads and they want the county to maintain them.

Then they find out they have to be maintained/repaired/rebuilt. Don't want to raise the gas tax to fund it, don't want to increase income/property tax to fund them, are being told to buy electric cars which use the roads but don't buy gas, and now will be told to buy cars that get 54+ mpg further reducing the gas tax collections. More and more Americans qualifying to NOT pay any taxes at either the fed or state level.

Anyone else see a problem here? IF we want roads so we can drive our toys we got to find a way to pay for them.
Tom,
You forgot all the other people that have their hands in the highway money jar pulling the money out for things that have nothing to do with
roads.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #19

In CA they are spending money on replacing the perfectly good steel guardrail under overpasses (that redirects an errant vehicle back into traffic instead of smacking a bridge piling) with perfectly good concrete guard rail. Good use of money? Duh.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never intended for this to turn into a political discussion. I just wonder why there is so much construction but nothing seems to get completed? Why do 2 or 3 miles projects take 3 or 4 years to complete? Are they trying to do too many projects with too few companies? Have you driven on any roads that seem to be finished?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
my vote for the worst road is I40 around OK city. the concrete is all busted up and in very bad shape.
Ironic though in the same state is Weatherford, Oklahoma and the OLD route 66 concrete is smooth ans crack free.
I'll second that! The 40 mile stretch (that's all I've been on) from OKC west will shake you to like the good old days when the school teachers could!

However; I know of an even worse spot of highway, not interstate, but state highway, that is in Texas, that appears to have been being worked on for years and is still not finished. It will shake and shimmy you to madness....

SH 83 from FM 2711 to the R turn south into Canadian......

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...ed=0CB8Q9w8wAA
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
UFO Pilot,
I think the reason you see projects that seem to never end are a result of piece meal
approach. Rather than just do the whole job they do a little here and there and wait
for more funds.
About the longest project that took several years and I mean many years to do
was I-90 bypass of Wallace Idaho.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #23

I just retired last year after spending 37 years as a Superintendent in Freeway Bridge and Heavy Construction. What has changed over the years is Environmental, Safety, Political, Policies etc. There isn't enough space here to fully explain everything but basically it cost way more to do way less. There are more vehicles on the road nowdays too. Look at how big and heavy RV's have gotten over the last 15-20 years. Everything is being built bigger,better,stronger and made to last as long as possible but asking for smooth roads and overnight isn't going to happen.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
I just retired last year after spending 37 years as a Superintendent in Freeway Bridge and Heavy Construction. What has changed over the years is Environmental, Safety, Political, Policies etc. There isn't enough space here to fully explain everything but basically it cost way more to do way less. There are more vehicles on the road nowdays too. Look at how big and heavy RV's have gotten over the last 15-20 years. Everything is being built bigger,better,stronger and made to last as long as possible but asking for smooth roads and overnight isn't going to happen.
So its your fault!!!
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How does all this explain why I almost always see the crews standing around scratching their heads. No matter where we travel , it seems like 10 miles of orange cones are put up ( usually a foot in my lane ) and very little is being done. Honestly , I don't know how they ever get done especially in places that have winter.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #27

I moved to southern Ohio in 1984 and took a trip to visit Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton. I75 had road construction going through Dayton at that time. I have traveled through Dayton many times over the years and as recently as two weeks ago, and there is still orange barrels and construction...it has never ended!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How would you like to be part of the Bobs Barricades family ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote