Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #15

Unfortunately, the tax collected on fuels in most, if not all, states and by the federal government goes into the general fund where it can be and is spent on anything the politicians desire. If the fuel taxes collected were earmarked specifically for bridge and road repair, the reason they are there, we would have super smooth roads and safe bridges across the country.

zigzagrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #16

Jayco Owners Club
Here is a recent article on road conditions.

In Minnesota, we have beautiful paved roads and fantastic, well constructed bridges but unfortunately no motorized vehicles are allowed. They're called bike paths here.

DonavonP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:51 AM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I have no problem paying a user tax when it is actually spent on what it is collected for. If the gov can provide a reconcilliation of where the curretn fuel tax is being spent and that it is on improving the transportation system, then I may be able to get behind increasing the tax. But I suspect they can not give an accounting of where the current fuel tax is being spent and showing that it is not enough to support our current system. Given the current trend of record high gas and oil prices, now is the wrong time to be considering an increased tax without being able to prove it's so called justification.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:47 AM   #18

You can bet there are those bleeding hearts in Congress who won't be happy until we are giving $6. to $7. per gallon of fuel like some of the European countries. Never mind that distances we have to drive are many times what European drivers have. They feel we should be as miserable as everyone else in the world. Then too a lot of any money raised will go for welfare to buy votes for democrats in congress. A good example of this is our Social Security money
Old 01-22-2008, 06:55 AM   #19

I am kind of a cheap guy still wondering how much more I will spend on fuel this year over last with the increased price at the pump. Cant help but wonder if some day dw and I will have to sell the house and find some land and live in the motorhome cause at some point if fuel continues upwards who will buy this house on wheels? OK I am now done thinking about this. Have a great day.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Read and Learn said <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> we have to pay the piper if we want our roads maintained, everything has it's price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Personally, I'm fine with that. I definitely want the bridges maintained. Like others, I'm more than a little suspicious that the money we paid in taxes for roads didn't go there. Some how the connection between the reason for the tax and the actual revenue from it keep getting disconnected.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #21

They need to spend the money they already get for what it was collected for, not just squandering it away in the general fund like they do.

Same thing with Social Security.

Unfortunately we don't hold politicians accountable for what they do because most people are totally apathetic to the entire process and are too focused on themselves to worry about it. We will eventually pay for that short sightedness.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 AM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aridon:
Unfortunately we don't hold politicians accountable for what they do because most people are totally apathetic to the entire process and are too focused on themselves to worry about it. We will eventually pay for that short sightedness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That time is now!
Old 01-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #23

Here's a few sites that might help those that wish to send a message to their legislators or just stay abreast of what's going on within your federal and local legislatures.

Congress.org.

grassfire.org.

capwiz.com

I've got to admit these are all on the conservative side of the political spectrum and that's just because I are one, but I'm sure there are many on the other side as well.

I use them for information gathering and to let my thoughts be heard by those that are making decisions that affect all of us.

And, believe it or not I do get direct responses now and then to my comments.

These few sites (of many) do offer you a venue for your input which some of our elected seem to appreciate and pay attention to.

Roger

rchonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Raise taxes on gas when prices are already going through the roof good idea.

This way the roads will be nice and smooth and because no one will be able to afford to drive on them, they will stay that way.

Maybe one day they will make campers lite enough to pull with bicycles.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Look at the bright side, no shortages, as in the early '70s!!

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #26

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Look at the bright side, no shortages, as in the early '70s!!

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
thanks goodness for 150 gallon tanks sure would hate to run outside with a sign say neighbor can you spare 150 gallons for my motorcoach so I can make it to the next state. that should give them a good laugh