Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Thumbs up 40 year ago July 20th

40 years ago July 20th, man first landed on the moon.

Where were you when the world stopped and watched on black & white television as Walter Cronkite narrated that epic event? It happened only 66 years after the Wright brothers first flew at Kittyhawk.

A generation that got stuff done!

and the first word transmitted from the moon....."Houston".
Would have made ol Sam Houston proud.

Robert & Nancy with "Murphy the EOG"
Murphy has passed on, but Micah and Bogie have assumed the watch! 02 Holiday Rambler 5ver, 2015 Indian Chief Vintage. 98 Coachmen truck camper.
Two Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Appalachian Campers
Man oh man!! I recall the day, watching the event on an old B+W tv and trying to stay cool. Neighbor across the road lost his house to a fire that afternoon. Did they not land and then exit the vehicle the next day or a few hours later?
I was a bunch of pounds lighter and had a lot more hair back then.

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Between Guam and Bien Hoa SVN,about an hour from starting my all expense paid tour.The Evergreen pilots piped the landing over the PA system,but my focus was elsewhere,boy was I scared!!Does that mean I'm 40 years older? Man,you tricked me into that depressing thought,but it's better than the alternative!
'09 Winnebago Adventurer 32H

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was in Elmira PA. tent camping with my family. We watched it on a 13" black & white on the campground store deck.
Pete & Charlene

06 33' winnebago Voyage 33V
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Jayco Owners Club
Standing on the sidewalk watching the stores TV through the window with a bunch of other people who spoke no English. Store was closed but the owner was kind enough to turn on a set and face it out onto the street.

The location was Vicenza, Italy on Corso Andrea Palladio and Conta Santa Corona. About 1 mile northeast of the train station. I was an US Army draftee that somehow ended up in Italy as a NATO troop.
2016 Jayco White Hawk 27dsrl
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 diesel 4x4
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was nine, (I know, who cares) sitting on the living room floor looking up at a black and white TV. Even at that age I could appreciate what a big deal that was. I've always been a big fan of the space program and the technology that it brought us.

The most amazing thing to me has been that these men flew to the moon and returned home saftely using considerably less computing power than is in a modern cell phone. Computers that were programmed with toggle switches for crying out loud. They talked about having 7K available like we talk about having 7 Terra Bytes available at work.

In other words these men flew to the moon on skill and courage. 66 years from Kittyhawk to the moon. However I am concerned that we peaked too soon as a nation. What have we really done with the technological advancements that followed in the next 40 years? More and more technology, less and less skill and courage.

My fear is that if we keep heading in the direction we are heading, we will continue to spend more and more of our precious resources taking care of those who can but simply refuse to take care of themselves and their families, and less and less on acomplishments such as what we saw in the decade of the 60's.
2011 Winnebago Vista 30W
Duane, Precy, 9 year old son Matt, and Abby, our American Eskimo.
Dmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Flying in a B52 bomber on our way back to U-Tapo Thailand, during flight debriefing it was on Armed Forces TV.
Chuck & Mary
2008 Monaco Diplomat 40 SKQ
2008 Enclave Toad
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was driving forklift for Fruehauf and working 13 hour days so I missed the actual event. I remember seeing it on TV but it sure wasn't while it was happening. The amazing thing is that there are still those (with tin foil hats, IMHO) that are running around calling the whole thing a hoax - saying that man never landed on the moon then.

If ever there was a shining example fo what we can do when we all work together, that part of the space program was it. Perhaps I was just too stupid to hear the naysayers then but everyone seemed to be behind the moon program. Probably just as important, it was a program that dragged along a lot of technology that improved all of our lives. The average citizen in the US got a lot more out of that program than Tang and the fact that we beat the Russians to the moon's surface.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I had just graduated from high school and was spending the night at a state park in Rhode Island. I wasn't a camper back then and I don't remember why I was there.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
On Main Street Manasquan NJ 3 blocks from the beach not realizing how good I had it at the time, seems like yesterday, times flys when you are having fun! Fun,,, 40 years of ups and downs, I should have stayed in Manasquan.
07 Itasca Ellipse 40fd, 2014 Honda CRV, greyhound lab mix, pit pointer mix(RIP bessie) , shar pei mix, stupid cat, wife
GG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 AM   #11
Freightliner Owners Club
Sitting in my parents living room in Clifton, NJ as a 6 year old. I remember it was late at night and my grandmother was there because she did not have a TV (or understand English). My Dad worked on the Apollo project for Bendix which was a sub-contractor to NASA. I still have the book 'We Came In Peace' which told the story of the Apollo 11 mission.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had just moved to Largo, FL to start work at Honeywell Aerospace. A co-worker had a "Moon Landing" party with no food but lots of booze. We all sat on the floor and watched his TV bring us the technical fete of the century. What a night!
Wretched excess is just barely enough.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
I also remember the other landings that followed. Some were during the months when school was in session. They gathered the entire elementary school together for those, and rolled a television into the cafeteria / auditorium for us to watch. We, as elementary school students, had never even known the school had a televison on the property until they brought it out for the moon landings! I think it was a TV from the teachers lounge (that room that no student dared venture into) .They had been hiding it in there for years.

The later landing were in color. I wanted so badly for my parents to buy a color TV for those, but my dad insisted that our black and white TV would not be replaced until it broke beyond repair. They finally bought a color TV in 1972. The old black and white set lasted till about 1978.
Robert & Nancy with "Murphy the EOG"
Murphy has passed on, but Micah and Bogie have assumed the watch! 02 Holiday Rambler 5ver, 2015 Indian Chief Vintage. 98 Coachmen truck camper.
Two Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i was celebrating my 4th birthday, mom used to keep us home from school on later flights so we could watch it and learn
i am no watching it all over again on nasa tv at night when the shuttle crew is asleep.
they just released a bunch of film that was restored.....WOW

USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote