Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Yes my genny puts out 240 volts through a 50 amp 4 prong plug... (along with a dedicated 120 volt 30 amp RV plug) YES I have a transfer switch..... Thanks to you that are freaking out,,, I do appreciatte your concern,,, you have answered my question why I can not find that cord... I'll make one... Monkey

This is the genny I got,,, but on sale for $599 free shipping...
Champion® 7500/9500 Generator : Cabela's

IF you have a Transfer Switch then why nt just get the proper power box with correct receptacle and then you don't have to make that 'Widowmakers' Cord at all.............just a regular 50A RV cord

30+ years in Power Plants....so when it comes to electrical blunders I get touchy.
Someone with your 'background' should have known the reason for NO male to male cords.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Under NO conditions use an outlet ans an inlet, DO NOT use a male to male cord.. DO NOT backfeed.

Rather put a proper INLET (pictured above) on your house and put a proper TRANSFER SWITCH in the house... Much safer. ANd what is more it is LEGAL to do it this way. Backfeeding is NOT LEGAL. and is dangerous on so many levels I shudder to think of you doing it.

Yes it has killed people. Which is way a male-male cord is called a Suicide cord.. Though you will be lucky if you are the one it kills.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #17

Not being personal but one who works on any aircraft would not even ask...

But I could understand needing to have ability to perform "magic" in an emergency but even in those situations there are better ways to safely get th e job done.

This subject has come up many times with same results...We have a family member who has and uses one on a regular basis even though they have been warned and shown proper way.

They have more than enough money to pay to have it done correctly but refuse....

Offered to install simple panel with manual transfer and was told it was too much trouble...

Given aircraft background....

If a proper checklist is created that includes steps for isolating house from supply and confirmation of that with proper sequence for connecting first then startup confirmation of voltage before cutover etc then it can be done safely.

Not wise or legal to do but can be done.

And your insurance is likely to slap you up side of head if anything stupid results.

Tags
ada