Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #1

50 Amp 240 volt adapter

I am making a connection between our new portable (emergency) genny and the sticks and bricks house. I have a 50 amp 240 volt (4 plug) extension cord, but I cannot find a male to male plug/adapter to make it work to the genny... (female on the house and genny) I've searched,,,, Do I need to make my own ??? (yes I can,, but,,,) thought someone would sell it... I don't want to cut the end off the new cord because we'll use this genny for emer. in our new TT or 5th... Thanks bunches,,, Monkey
PS,,, PLEASE don't start with the saftey thing,,, I know quite well how to shut off the street power...

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #2

The reason you can NOT find one is because they are NOT made due to safety issues.

Male to male cord is called a 'widowmaker', a 'deadman' cord.........

One end plugged in allows for other end exposed blades to be LIVE/HOT.....touchable while energized.

NO......NO.........NO

When it comes to ELECTRICAL
Do it the right way!!! the first time!!!

Shutting off the 'street power' does NOT fully disconnect you from the utility companies feed......because opening the house MAIN BREAKERS only disconnects the HOT legs........NEUTRAL is still connected !!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy/install a manual transfer switch with the correct Inlet Box
Power Inlet Box Buyer's Guide - How to Pick the Perfect Power Inlet Box

Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I am making a connection between our new portable (emergency) genny and the sticks and bricks house. I have a 50 amp 240 volt (4 plug) extension cord, but I cannot find a male to male plug/adapter to make it work to the genny... (female on the house and genny) I've searched,,,, Do I need to make my own ??? (yes I can,, but,,,) thought someone would sell it... I don't want to cut the end off the new cord because we'll use this genny for emer. in our new TT or 5th... Thanks bunches,,, Monkey
PS,,, PLEASE don't start with the saftey thing,,, I know quite well how to shut off the street power...
monkey
Does your new "portable (emergency) genny" produce 240 VAC?
Most generators, (both portable and those mounted in RVs), DO NOT.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
monkey
Does your new "portable (emergency) genny" produce 240 VAC?
Most generators, (both portable and those mounted in RVs), DO NOT.
Mel
'96 Safari
Pick one: Portable Generators + Portable Power Generators | Generators | Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 01-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #5

lynnmor
Thanks for the link....but monkey, (the OP), said he has a "new portable (emergency) genny" and that he's looking for a "male to male plug/adapter".
Do those generators produce 240VAC?
Do you think monkey, (the OP), has one of those?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #6

Safety aside, don't cut a cord buy 2 male plugs and a foot of wire.

My father used to put a pair of breakers in the panel out to a male plug pigtail.

When the light went out he switched off the main, plugged in the generator cord and flipped the other breakers on.

He stored the pigtail male plug with a empty female plug on it, so no blades were exposed.

Not right, but that was dad.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't want to talk safety but you want to make a DEAD MANS extension cord?????????? That's why they don't make one. If the install was done properly you wouldn't be considering one. Any genny transfer panel on the market would have a male twistlock at that location.

This is what you should have at the house and then the proper cord can be purchased or made up. Please keep yourself safe and anyone else involved. This particular one is available from Amazon but I'm sure you can order one from any local electrical wholesale house. This is a 4 wire 50A 125/250Volt plug. This plug should be incorporated with a transfer switch between your incoming service and your house panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	415Rynt3hnL.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	115939  
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #8

I only wanted to point out that most 50 amp portable generators do put out 240 volts. I have no reason to believe he bought a generator that does not fit his needs. The way he wants to hook it up is not good.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You really need a proper transfer switch, installed in the right place.
The transfer switch will completely disconnect the utility side before it connects the house to the genny.

The utility wants to also be sure that your not energizing their lines (and possibly electrocuting a worker who is trying to repair a line.

You have too many things to worry about in turning off breakers and plugging in a make-shift adapter. Bad things could happen if you forget.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #10

Yes my genny puts out 240 volts through a 50 amp 4 prong plug... (along with a dedicated 120 volt 30 amp RV plug) YES I have a transfer switch..... Thanks to you that are freaking out,,, I do appreciatte your concern,,, you have answered my question why I can not find that cord... I'll make one... Monkey

This is the genny I got,,, but on sale for $599 free shipping...
http://www.cabelas.com/product/champ...able+generator
Old 01-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #11

This thread is a discoverable document.

If anything happens the did not know excuse cannot be used.

Proper use would be a transfer switch but cost to convert whole panel not cheap.

Given smaller genny the common application is to install a subpanel via a 50 amp breaker and transfer switch then the generator supports just the subpanel items.

This is common practice from homes to hospitals.

Look for red outlets as those are generator backed where split services used.

If you already have transfer switch then cost of subpanel about same as the connectors. ..
Old 01-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #12

I have to appolgize for asking this question here. The mods can delete it if wanted of course. I should have realized I'd ruffle some feathers, my fault. I had an honest question. I have wired/worked on 10 million dollar aircraft, and although a little different than home wiring, I have a Great respect for electricity. Thanks again who made good input to my question. Monkey
Old 01-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I have to appolgize for asking this question here. The mods can delete it if wanted of course. I should have realized I'd ruffle some feathers, my fault. I had an honest question. I have wired/worked on 10 million dollar aircraft, and although a little different than home wiring, I have a Great respect for electricity. Thanks again who made good input to my question. Monkey
monkey
I see no reason to apologize for asking a question about an electrical adapter for a portable (emergency) genny on this iRV2 "just conversation" forum.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
monkey
I see no reason to apologize for asking a question about an electrical adapter for a portable (emergency) genny on this iRV2 "just conversation" forum.
Mel
'96 Safari
Thankyou Mel....

Tags
ada