Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #15

He didn't say he's been looking for work for 6 years. He said he was doing OK living off his interest until his interest rates dropped too much. I would do that too if I could.

To the OP. Can you get a part time job at a chain store or such and then live off of that plus the interest?
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #16

Muddypaws - ditto, I had 6 different employers without changing my desk. Used to be in a shop with 130 US workers, then downsizing to 110, then 90, then 75, then outsourced. Ended with 25 U.S.SME's (Subject Matter Expert) and 250 Indians. Worked those long hours also, on call, software bugs everywhere. SLA's (Service Level Agreement contracts). Being treated like crap too - this was the nail in the coffin for me.

No way would I recommend IT.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #17

I think I could work at a Lowes or Home Depot. I say this because I like tools, and saws, and wood, and fixing things.

Not sure how much additional income you need. Could you work camp plus work part time at a Home Depot? That gives you a place to stay plus a little spending money.

Electricians are in more demand then welders.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Worked 40 years for same company retired for a year they called me back to do consulting for 3days a week. This is a good gig. Work in the building automation field.
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
If you want to work as a welder or electrician, the oil fields in Texas have the "We're Hiring" sign out in a number of geographical areas. The hottest include the Eagle Ford shale play in South Texas and the Permian Basin in West Texas. In both cases, housing is in extremely short supply - if you have an RV to live in temporarily, you'll be at a huge advantage, assuming you can find a lot to park it on.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #20

Yep. Money in the oil fields sounds good but beware. We spent a year in North Dakota and we were lucky to get a gravel lot in a mobile home park big enough to put our 23.5' 5th wheel for $500 a month. And we were lucky. We only had to put $100 deposit down compared to new people coming in having to put $500 down because of the ones who skipped out during the night. My husband needs skilled welders to weld livestock and utility trailers. Pays not the greatest but living in the area is cheap.
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #21

Wildbob,

I think I understand you. Being an over educated old white guy in Detroit is the kiss of death. And then the administration abrogated the bankruptcy laws and stole about 22 years worth of "secure" investments.

After producing and forwarding about 4000 resumes and cover letters, and having about six interviews (4 of which ended when they saw the gray hair), I'm one of those that has given up altogether. I used to hold both BuShips and ASTM code stamps, but now they see the education (specifics reduced) and similar work history and figure out that A - He has a lot of experience, B - he is old and C - He may just be too expensive (even if they haven't asked).

The two interviews that had the most promise, one was for an electrician (USCG engineers license covers that, but they wanted a union card), the other was for welding. I even got to run some bead for them. (Not a 6" pipe 6" from a corner and X-rayed like BuShips.) But they passed me over for that one as well.

Now I'm going to have to start SS early and get less. If I could get the 1.45M$ that I was forced to put into SS, I could do alright.

I'm not too worried, the economy will pick up. Remember that 2010 was the Summer of Recovery. Didn't you see it all around you? Me Either....

The advice to go to the oil fields is good. It will never again be as good as it should be because the country is suppose to be all renewable energy by 2014.

Sorry, thanks for listening.....

Matt
Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #22

Regarding over (under?) trained white guys in Detroit? There are Govt sponsored grants/programs in this area available to retrain guys like us (through local community colleges) to qualify for jobs waiting on graduation. Check for availability through your local "Michigan Works" office!

Thankfully I was able to retire when I was finally "displaced", so no first hand experience, but if I understand correctly some of these grants/programs pay on a rate similar to unemployment benefits while you "retrain"?

Regarding the OP, have you checked to see if there isn't a similar program available in your area?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
He didn't say he's been looking for work for 6 years. He said he was doing OK living off his interest until his interest rates dropped too much. I would do that too if I could.

To the OP. Can you get a part time job at a chain store or such and then live off of that plus the interest?
My local employment office has told me to move to Nashville if I want a job so I will be moving. My local Lowes and Wal-mart is not hiring right now. Local Hospital wants 4 years experience to mop the floors which I don't have. Fast food wants a pretty girl or older women with experience in the food business. I've been trying to find work without any luck so far.

Thanks, Bob
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Southern Cross is now hiring gas line survey technicians. Travel required. They offer benefits such as health insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation. More info at USA: Gas Line Survey Technician - Hourly Pay and Benefits.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Having retired from 44 years in IT I have pity for the kids starting out in that field now. The AVERAGE IT work week at the place I retired from (major pharmaceutical company) is >60 hours. There is no such thing as job security anywhere in that field, even for consultants. IT employees are required to come in early to be on conference calls to India, and stay late to get work done. I had weeks in my last 4 years that were up to 90 hours. The contract IT workers from India were treated better than us 'blue badges'.

Then they laid me off, at my request. When the VP handed me the package I did the 'happy happy joy joy dance'. I got 11 months severance pay and decided not to work in that field for pay ever again. Now I do volunteer IT work for the tax write off and to get out of the house.

Major gas line repairs going on in Northern California. It's going to go on for years.
Not quite my story but I'm glad to be out of the IT "business" (rat race) too. Worked for a packaging company that had seven offices around the world, stay late or get to work early to make conference calls. Heard my boss OK paying bribes to get the Hong Kong office up and running. Set up Freightliners SAN in Portland OR, then the project got canceled by MB. Ran the SAN to set up for Oracle Financials. Then did a stint at the US Forest Service with another Oracle team. Also worked at Blue Cross and US Bank. Now I'm not sure I'd go back.
I do evening security work at minimum pay and it gets me out of the house too! But, I have a State retirement, (I retired from there at 51 after 30 years) and my wife makes great money.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not quite my story but I'm glad to be out of the IT "business" (rat race) too.
To that I say simply, AMEN!

Self taught, entering far enough back when you could be, competing with guys 1/3 - 1/2 my age, some with master's degrees? Who would YOU hire? Spent the last few years praying I could hang in there long enough to just get out - and I made it! Not even a little interest in getting back in, even on a consulting basis.....
Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think I could work at a Lowes or Home Depot. I say this because I like tools, and saws, and wood, and fixing things.

Not sure how much additional income you need. Could you work camp plus work part time at a Home Depot? That gives you a place to stay plus a little spending money.
When the now 22 year old daughter was born, I went to work at a box store on a part time basis. I was 20 years younger and I think that I wanted to go postal on at least 1 out of 5 customers THEN.

Now, it would be 3 out of 5.

Customer service is for special people that can handle it. Not me.
HeatAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #28

North Dakota is one idea over Nashville Tennessee for work.
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote