Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

Question 52 year old man looking for a Job.

I have a been out of work for 6 years and living in a college town. I lived on my CD Interest rates for past 6 years and now the interest rates have dropped to 1/2-1 percent. What jobs don't ask about work history? Temp agencies go back six years for work history I've heard.
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #2

What type of experience/qualifications do you have?
SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #3

Two Associate Degrees from community college in Electrical and Welding. Not been a Electrician for 15 years.
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #4

If you're skilled, you might consider consulting. Lot's of help on-line about setting up your own consulting business. You'd be surprised at how many people appreciate work done by an older person over that done by a know-it-all kid.

Right now, the best place to find a job is in North Dakota. If you can travel, you might consider pulling up stakes and heading there.

After posting, I see you have two AS degrees. Me too. Mine are a Business Admin degree & an electronics technology degree. After I lost my job with Hyster, I found that everyone seemed to want to hire 20 somethings with 30 years of experience. I didn't fit that need so I started my own computer consulting business. Sixteen years later, I'd paid off my house 10 years early and raised two kids. How that happened I don't know. Retired at 58. Been on the road since.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #5

There are all kinds of jobs here in Kansas in the oilfields also. Easy to make 80 to 100k if you want to work. All oil field areas need help, weather Texas Oklahoma Colorado juts to name a few. I have worked in the oilfields 40 years now and never missed a day of work. Been self employed for 21 years now and about ready to retire at 58. Six years is a long time. Good luck in finding employment.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
If you're skilled, you might consider consulting. Lot's of help on-line about setting up your own consulting business. You'd be surprised at how many people appreciate work done by an older person over that done by a know-it-all kid.

Right now, the best place to find a job is in North Dakota. If you can travel, you might consider pulling up stakes and heading there.

After posting, I see you have two AS degrees. Me too. Mine are a Business Admin degree & an electronics technology degree. After I lost my job with Hyster, I found that everyone seemed to want to hire 20 somethings with 30 years of experience. I didn't fit that need so I started my own computer consulting business. Sixteen years later, I'd paid off my house 10 years early and raised two kids. How that happened I don't know. Retired at 58. Been on the road since.
I agree with the consulting approach. I was laid off twice from large consulting firms in the IT world and decided to go it alone. I have not been unemployed since (over 12 years). Your problem will be current, relevant experience. Good luck and hang in...
osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #7

If you were licensed electrician there are jobs in solar, but the pay stinks.

But one could do the work to learn the trade and later start own, many different tax benefit to learn.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get some certifications, get your license and start your own business. It's never too late to go back to school. I just got my masters degree in IT at age 57. And I have people calling/emailing me every day offering me jobs.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IT as a career

Having retired from 44 years in IT I have pity for the kids starting out in that field now. The AVERAGE IT work week at the place I retired from (major pharmaceutical company) is >60 hours. There is no such thing as job security anywhere in that field, even for consultants. IT employees are required to come in early to be on conference calls to India, and stay late to get work done. I had weeks in my last 4 years that were up to 90 hours. The contract IT workers from India were treated better than us 'blue badges'.

Then they laid me off, at my request. When the VP handed me the package I did the 'happy happy joy joy dance'. I got 11 months severance pay and decided not to work in that field for pay ever again. Now I do volunteer IT work for the tax write off and to get out of the house.

Major gas line repairs going on in Northern California. It's going to go on for years.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #10

Hook up with a temp agency. Welders are in demand.
HoleInOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
I have a been out of work for 6 years and living in a college town. I lived on my CD Interest rates for past 6 years and now the interest rates have dropped to 1/2-1 percent. What jobs don't ask about work history? Temp agencies go back six years for work history I've heard.
No jobs "don't ask about work history" unless perhaps you're a 12 year old girl looking for her first babysitting gig.

Put together a believable story explaining your six-year hiatus from the workforce and start applying for entry-level positions SOMEWHERE.

Even if it's only burger-flipping, prospective employers are more inclined to hire the already-or-recently employed, and are often impressed with those who will take a "menial" position while looking for something better suited to their skills.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #12

The cold hard facts are, any able bodied 52 year old male that has been un employed for 6 years just doesn't want a job. Jobs are everywhere, you just have to look. 4 million people gathered in DC last month, and only three had to take off work! If you think your overqualified, sometimes you just have lower your standards a little bit.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Having retired from 44 years in IT I have pity for the kids starting out in that field now. The AVERAGE IT work week at the place I retired from (major pharmaceutical company) is >60 hours. There is no such thing as job security anywhere in that field, even for consultants. IT employees are required to come in early to be on conference calls to India, and stay late to get work done. I had weeks in my last 4 years that were up to 90 hours. The contract IT workers from India were treated better than us 'blue badges'.

Then they laid me off, at my request. When the VP handed me the package I did the 'happy happy joy joy dance'. I got 11 months severance pay and decided not to work in that field for pay ever again. Now I do volunteer IT work for the tax write off and to get out of the house.

Major gas line repairs going on in Northern California. It's going to go on for years.
I agree that IT can have long hours due to exploitation by and/or poor management. The keys, IMO, are to make sure that you are not getting into a 'workaholic shop' in the first place, state that you are not going to work over 40 hours except in an emergency, or quit if you find that you are caught up in a workaholic environment. There are lots of IT jobs in good IT shops out there. One just has to look for them. I'm a sub-contractor where I am now so I can't work over 40 hours. And in three years, I can retire. I can't wait!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
looks like its time to start spending some of the principal
brianj