Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What goes up must come down. Watch China. The wild card in all this inflation!

2003 Damon DAYBREAK Model# 3275 // 2002 P32 Workhorse Custom Chassis, 8.1L Vortec 8100,180 Thermostat, .045 SP Gap, SuperSteer Rear Track Bar, Roadmaster Front Spreader Bar, SuperSteer Bell Cranks, Koni FSD ,,,
iRV4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

Gas won't go to $8.00 a gallon for a long time to come, you may see $5.00 on the West coast though.

We have plenty of oil in fact we even closed a refinery that makes gas. The problem is the greedy speculators on Wall Street. They are dictating the price of gas and a barrel of oil. The higher it goes the more money they make. Again it is GREED.

As far as rving goes, present gas prices and $5.00 a gallon isn't a lot if you really look at. You can still RV maybe just a little closer to home or go someplace and stay put. If you think US prices are high go to Canada where gas is $1.28 A LITER and there are approximately 4 liters in a gallon. In 2010 we went to Alaska and back, 11,361 miles and it cost us $5,000 for fuel but it was a trip of a lifetime.

For those that want to park their RV's or get rid of them think again. Just try to imagine how much it would cost for a fly drive trip. Air fare, hotel costs, 3 meals a day, and a rental car. Not only do you have to worry about bed bugs but all that food that you don't know what you are eating.

Enjoy your RV and be thankful that you have it. Don't forget we live in the greatest country in the world inspite of everything else.

We wouldnt do that either we would curtail all travel period.. We dont require to be on the move. We live in a beautiful state called Colorado. We could sit in our back yard and see the most beautiful country in the world. Yes we enjoy rv'ing but we do have our limits and gas prices are reaching our limits..Some folks just cant afford the gas..Oh we have stayed in numerous motels and have yet to see a bedbug or any other kind of bug..I think this bedbug thing is over played..

donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a nice little area next to a bridge near the house that has a wonderful view of Sarasota bay. If fuel goes to 8 bucks per then that is about as far as our trips will take us (2 miles from house). We will just make believe we are traveling.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I get about 7 mpg on my gas motorhome towing a car. At $4 per gallon that is $0.57 per mile. At $5 per gallon that is $0.71 per mile and at $8 per gallon that is $1.14 per mile. I'm pretty sure that at over a dollar per mile there would be a lot of people who stop driving their motorhome or other RV. But I also think people would just not drive as far or as often or as fast and would continue to RV. Personally I think that gas has about topped out on price for this year but time will tell.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #19

We are slowly making our way north, we paid $4.29 for diesel in Fl, $4.10 in GA, today in Charleston SC it's $3.88. At that rate by the time we get home it will be $3 a gallon, LOL. I've already told my kids I'm spending it all and I'm planning on dieing broke, so as long as I can drive the wheels will turn.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Since I can't control gas price, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to worry about when do we leave and where are we going.
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No one seems to look at oil prices here.... Get this oil is roughly 105 to 108 dollars a barrel depending on the day and gas is 4 to 5 dollars a gallon but back in 2008 when oil was 150 a barrel fuel was 4 bucks a gallon think people...... we are taking it in the shorts .... How is it that 105 dollar a barrel oil cost more to refine and produce gas and diesel than when it was a 150 dollars a barrel can someone explain it for me
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
RVing is a choice for sure. And an expensive toy it is but I have no intention of giving it up. If diesel gets in the $8 range then I will make shorter trips but I will still use it.

I am not wealthy by a long shot but I am fortunate to have a skill that when I chose to use it four or five months a year it pays very well and allows me to enjoy my MH. If i get rid of it, will only be because I have found something I like better
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At $8.00/gal it would be parked at some overlook vista and I'd be enjoying the view. It wouldn't be moving much that's for sure.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #24
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51

Ditto.
Yep, works for me
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
I'm planning on dieing broke, so as long as I can drive the wheels will turn.
Rock on my friend, I like your style!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Why worry about something that may or may not happen? I am living for today, since we were not promised tomorrow. Safe travels everyone.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavric65
No one seems to look at oil prices here.... Get this oil is roughly 105 to 108 dollars a barrel depending on the day and gas is 4 to 5 dollars a gallon but back in 2008 when oil was 150 a barrel fuel was 4 bucks a gallon think people...... we are taking it in the shorts .... How is it that 105 dollar a barrel oil cost more to refine and produce gas and diesel than when it was a 150 dollars a barrel can someone explain it for me
The magic price that was going to be a point of resistance then was $4.00 a gallon. The retail end was making terribly low margins, in some cases almost nothing. When the big recession started, oil dropped like a rock, but the price of gasoline at the pump went down slowly. The price did not start going down rapidly until the margins between retail and wholesale were 75 cents a gallon. I will attach a link, for California. In June of 2008 many retailers were getting only a penny or even losing money for every gallon, while the price went over $4 a gallon. There was such an outcry, and oil companies were being demonized so badly, that they backed off on profits.

Look at the chart for this year and compare the cost of crude, the refinery charge, the marketing charge, and then go into the problem and plug in the year 2008. You will see that the price of crude and the other charges don't always correspond.

http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/gasoline/margins/index.php

We will be coming to a point of resistance soon, because like 2008, this is an election year. There will be heads rolling.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #28
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I've got a Blog working in regard to fuel prices. Please feel free to join in on the commentary.

RVIA Claims - RV Industry Won't Be Impacted Until Fuel Reaches $10 per Gallon

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas