Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After reading the blog some and looking at the reactions,I can see not a lot of us remember just how this RV business has evolved. We now have new Class A MHs that are going to get 12-5 mpg. Some of the class c on Mercedes chassis can get 18-20 mph. The industry is changing, and I can see in the next 5 years we will have 30 ft class a vehicles with 4 slides that will have plenty of room to full time in. They will probably achieve the 15-17 mpg range.

If you think this is out of line or a pipe dream, look at the average fuel economy of a full size car. It now exceeds 30 while just a few years ago, they were lucky to get 22 on the highway. The RV industry, will adapt, so will the buyers.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #30
LJB

We haven't slowed down yet. Just returned from an 800 mile trip. Heading for outer banks NC (1150 miles one way) in June. The funny thing about this trip is that we aren't even staying in the motorhome when we get there. We are staying in a house on the beach. The DW just likes to travel in it so she can lounge on the couch, read books pace the floor and raid the refrigerator while she complains about how rough the trip is and how tired she is from traveling lol. We camp somewhere nearly every weekend of the summer. If fuel gets too expensive, we have a state park/campground 4 miles down the road and 7 private campgrounds within 40 miles (2 of them on the Illinois river). As the price of fuel rises, all modes of travel will rise with it, not just motorhome travel. Our motto is "enjoy life while you can".

Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
AMEN!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #32

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
If you think this is out of line or a pipe dream, look at the average fuel economy of a full size car. It now exceeds 30 while just a few years ago, they were lucky to get 22 on the highway.
The 2012 Camry is the most fuel-efficient mid-size sedan on the market with a 178-hp 2.5L 4-cylinder achieving 25/35-mpg

This is a quote from 2012 Toyota Camry Review: Car Reviews

I agree with the sense of what you're saying, but we're not quite there yet. The Camry is a mid-size, not a full size and most of us know that the average fuel economy achieved by real people in real driving is always closer to the lower number than the higher one. I'm sure the Camry can deliver 35 mpg in pure highway environments, but most people are going to see mid-20's.

More fuel efficient RVs do exist, but there's nothing with the space and load capacity of my 40' DP that can deliver significantly more than the ~8 mpg we already get. Some of it is pure physics; moving 30,000-40,000 pounds takes energy. You can use smaller engines and use lighter materials, but you will have your work cut out for you to make much of a difference in mileage without significantly sacrificing drivability.

For those of us who full-time or snowbird in our rigs, we need space to live in and space translates to weight. I've owned Class B's and C's and IMHO couldn't see full-timing in either (although I am speaking only for myself.)
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwomack View Post
I see nothing political in the price of fuel. The president does not set the price nor does congress nor does any governmental branch or agency. Any attempt to control it artificially will result in gas lines. shortages, and/or rationing like we saw in the 70's.

RVing is not a necessity for life or liberty. RVing is neither a right nor an entitlement. Even though we are entitled to the "pursuit of happiness" we still must bear the all of the costs of our pursuits. If we cannot pay the costs, we will have to pursue our happiness in other ways.

If gas goes to $8/gal someone will ask if you will still be RV'ing when gas goes to $16/gal. I will at whatever it goes to as long as fuel supply is available.
I disagree, the President and congress both can have an impact on the price of fuel. Stop listening to liberal talking points, nothing but lies and as long as people accept and believe these lies nothing will change. Educate yourself on the real facts and then spread the word.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #34
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I live about 15 miles from 5 of the largest campgrounds on the East Coast, 4 which are located right on the beach. High fuel prices won't impact me significantly but it will bother the folks that come here and those that earn their living here as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most of our trips are 3 to 4 thousand miles round trip, (east coast / west coast) so fuel prices are a concern when planning trips. If prices go much higher we'll have to start flying, maybe store our coach at destination state ( FL.) and travel from there. Just a thought, still enjoy traveling across country.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #36
LJB

Have read that the price of flying will soon be on the rise. The price of everything goes up as fuel prices go up. All modes of travel, food, motel stays, etc. etc.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I have a friend who is a drilling supervisor, presently working in N.D. He says the US has enough oil to last us hundreds of years. Although they could pump (not exact figures here) 10,000 barrels a day, the govt only allows them to pump 5,000.... And this is only on one site.

So to me, this is keeping prices higher because of keeping the supply lower. It also cause the US to import oil at much higher prices. He says we could be completely oil independent if the govt would allow it.

Of course I really didn't need him to tell me this and I'm sure it's no surprize to most of you. I'm far from a liberal and I am a devout capitalist.

Here's something I've thought for a few years. If we kept drilling years back and never imported oil, how long would ours last? There is certainly a point where we would run out. However, if we kept a large portion in the ground and just used other countries until their's was gone, we would still have oil.

Is this the govts plan? It's the only thing that makes any sense to me.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmacs View Post
I disagree, the President and congress both can have an impact on the price of fuel. Stop listening to liberal talking points, nothing but lies and as long as people accept and believe these lies nothing will change. Educate yourself on the real facts and then spread the word.
I would be interested to know more on how the President and congress can have any impact on the price of fuel, while still adhering to our free-market ideals.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
We budget and save for 2-3 long trips a year. Air travel is out because we travel with pets. As i see more friends my age die, i will go until the money runs out or until i do. Enjoy life while you can.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I would be interested to know more on how the President and congress can have any impact on the price of fuel, while still adhering to our free-market ideals.
By opening or not opening government-owned or controlled lands and offshore areas up to exploration. By permitting or not permitting pipelines, pump or compressor stations, refineries, etc. By the emission control and other governmental rules they retroactively apply to existing installations as well as future installations. By increasing the tax burden, royalties, etc. collected from producers as well as oil and gas companies. And most directly, by the taxes applied by Federal, state and local governments to fuels. The government touches the oil and gas industry in many ways that ultimately impact the price of their products to the consumer.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #41

It really doesnt matter how much we drill in the U.S. Those that do the drilling only ship it out to the countries who will pay the most for it.. I understand years ago when the Alaskan pipe line went in that the majority of that oil was shipped to Japan. Dont know if thats still the case or not. High gas prices are here to stay.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ONLY way that the president or congress can affect the price of fuel, is subsidies. That is what they do in China, Russia, Venezuela. If we nationalize our oil wells, we can all have $2 gas. While this may sound good to some of us, we have to remember, we will be paying for this some how, some way.

Tags
gas