Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #71

Question $8 gas and monorail "theory"

[QUOTE=HeapBigEngin;1123711][QUOTE=fix that car;(I still cannot believe California hasn't installed mono-rails down the center of every large freeway in the state... It's a no brainer!). Wait, I know why, the oil, concrete, asphalt, auto lobbies didn't want mass transit to interrupt their profits the past 60 years which I understand completely, but now try and get anywhere in LA during rush hour... insanity.

You don't understand why California hasn't installed monorails?? Really?? Who pays?? You?? Maybe you don't know this, but California is broke...and has been for many, many years, hidden only by their funny way of cost-accounting to cover "other" programs (a subject not appropriate for this forum). And virtually every mass transit system in the Country is/would be financially insolvent....without general taxpayer subsidies in one form or another. That's a fact. Ever hear of Amtrac? There's a real success story for ya'. Ever ride it? You should 'cause you're paying for that folly too....as is everyone else.

One of the many reasons I left California a few years ago wasn't the crushing traffic....it was the even more crushing taxes. And, with all those taxes, California is STILL broke. And there's still the crushing traffic. Southern California's problems go much, much deeper than rush hour traffic and lack of monorails. And our Country's lack of a logical energy policy goes much, much deeper than oil, concrete, asphalt and auto lobbies. Deeper than monorails as well....just MHO.[/QUOTE]

"Your preaching to the choir", Big Engine: my comment about installing electric mono-rails down the center of major highways was referring to the PAST 60 years. California's "broke", well do ya think I'm not aware of this? You left Calif. in disgust and I wish I could leave, but selling my house at a loss won't fly. It's off topic, relative to $8 a gallon gas, but...

"All those high taxes and we are still broke"; but remember California has an ADDITIONAL 40 cents a gallon in taxes on their cost of gas which (thankfully) doesn't end up in the general fund! Now my comment regarding those mono-rails was directed at this enormous amount of money which is only being used to build more roads, rather than an ELECTRIC mono-rail system which is really a no~brainer. Instead, the legislature in Sacramento is trying to get a "bullet-train" passed.

Just like the ethanol debacle it seems the majority of our elected officials are not using good sense when it comes to spending our hard-earned money (taxes) and continue to cry for more to fund these programs that benefit a small percentage of the population (read: special interest groups). The system is rigged it seems...

fix that car
fix that car is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #72

I figured at 8mpg and $4.10 a gal for Diesel that comes out to just over 51 cents a mile. We plan about 3000 miles of traveling a year so that $1500 in fuel. Which is only $375 more than when fuel was $3 a gal. So we just buget in the extra $400.
Sucks but we are blessed with so many wonderful campgrounds within 200 miles of where we live we can just shorten up the range we roam.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #73

Ford Super Duty Owner
if it gets to 8.00 per gallon it will probably bring on a discussuion on guns as that might be the only way we could afford it

just kidding
brianj
Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #74

Oh gosh, dont mention guns, it's taboo here
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #75

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

Gas won't go to $8.00 a gallon for a long time to come, you may see $5.00 on the West coast though.

We have plenty of oil in fact we even closed a refinery that makes gas. The problem is the greedy speculators on Wall Street. They are dictating the price of gas and a barrel of oil. The higher it goes the more money they make. Again it is GREED.

As far as rving goes, present gas prices and $5.00 a gallon isn't a lot if you really look at. You can still RV maybe just a little closer to home or go someplace and stay put. If you think US prices are high go to Canada where gas is $1.28 A LITER and there are approximately 4 liters in a gallon. In 2010 we went to Alaska and back, 11,361 miles and it cost us $5,000 for fuel but it was a trip of a lifetime.

For those that want to park their RV's or get rid of them think again. Just try to imagine how much it would cost for a fly drive trip. Air fare, hotel costs, 3 meals a day, and a rental car. Not only do you have to worry about bed bugs but all that food that you don't know what you are eating.

Enjoy your RV and be thankful that you have it. Don't forget we live in the greatest country in the world inspite of everything else.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #76

Thats the way I feel I got my RV and I'm going to use it
the gas isn't that big of a deal, I'm not rich but I'm not
going to sit at home worried about the gas prices
will be on the road in two weeks with rv in tow
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #77

Thor Owners Club
Seriuos... Really this thread should be dead... I remember when I was 10-11 in 1965..
The old farts..thought the world was over... hippies...rock music... Oh My Gosh...
TV.. Satelites.....It will never happen.. more scare tactics from "THEY"... You know they said this... They said that.... Peace and Safe Living... D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Seriuos... Really this thread should be dead... I remember when I was 10-11 in 1965..
The old farts..thought the world was over... hippies...rock music... Oh My Gosh...
TV.. Satelites.....It will never happen.. more scare tactics from "THEY"... You know they said this... They said that.... Peace and Safe Living... D
Those "old farts" from the '60's (like ME!) wouldn't believe what this country has become on MANY fronts - MOST of the things they (WE!) predicted and feared, HAVE come to pass, with lots more still to come...

The "USA" we live in today is FAR different from what it was only a few decades past - and FAR closer to some of the 3rd world countries we USED to take pity on and delight in comparing ourselves to...

The USA "greatest country in the world" now stands at about 22nd in world wide standard of living indexes - all while far too many thought -and STILL think - things were going just fine and dandy...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #79

We brought our family here 3 years ago from UK , because we still believe its the greatest country on earth .
If gas goes to $8 , we will be looking for a deal on a Monaco Windsor .
Safe travels
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #80

We would still keep our MH. We have a membership in a campground that has a fair sized lake on it. This is just eleven miles away. We like traveling but if push came to shove, we would stick close. The camp fire at this lake looks the same as the one that is 1,000 miles away, when it is night. We enjoy getting out of the house and all the chores that keep popping up when we're home.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #81

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
We brought our family here 3 years ago from UK , because we still believe its the greatest country on earth .
If gas goes to $8 , we will be looking for a deal on a Monaco Windsor .
Safe travels
I like the way you think
That would be great time to pick up a good deal.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #82

Texas Boomers Club
The following is a quote from an article by Travis Holum in The Motley Fool

"If you want to blame someone for the price of oil, blame China or India -- or Russia. Or, you could look in the mirror and ask why you still pay $4 per gallon for gasoline if you can't really afford it. The laws of supply and demand indicate that demand should drop if prices go up as much as they have in recent weeks. If you aren't cutting back, then you're just as much at fault as anyone else."
Old 03-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #83

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwomack View Post
The following is a quote from an article by Travis Holum in The Motley Fool

"If you want to blame someone for the price of oil, blame China or India -- or Russia. Or, you could look in the mirror and ask why you still pay $4 per gallon for gasoline if you can't really afford it. The laws of supply and demand indicate that demand should drop if prices go up as much as they have in recent weeks. If you aren't cutting back, then you're just as much at fault as anyone else."
Excellent article. Here it is for those who are interested. Filled with facts and not right/left wing conjecture.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #84

Thats a good story to read, but just because they make a graft
of the oil being drilled in the US do any of us really know what
is going on with oil or do we just believe everything we here
from the news media.
Some say drill more will help some say drilling will not help lower
the price of gas
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas