Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #85

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To believe or not believe main stream media sources would probably be a whole different thread on a different forum.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieTwo View Post
We would still keep our MH. We have a membership in a campground that has a fair sized lake on it. This is just eleven miles away. We like traveling but if push came to shove, we would stick close. The camp fire at this lake looks the same as the one that is 1,000 miles away, when it is night. We enjoy getting out of the house and all the chores that keep popping up when we're home.
Lots of rationalizing and bravado as to RVing plans under high fuel prices - but when push comes to shove, you have to ask yourself whether you would REALLY spend $60K plus for a 5er/trailer, and a tow vehicle - or a $150-$200K MH to simply leave it PARKED in your yard or storage MOST of the time - and THEN, when you DO actually use it, drive it 10 or 20 miles down the road to a local spot to save fuel expense?

Fuel for the RV isn't the ONLY thing seeing rising costs - EVERYTHING requiring transport (and THAT is EVERYTHING we consume and use!) ALSO is rising dramatically - and RV fuel very well might be a pretty low priority for your $$$...

SOON, the reality and basic question becomes, is that high RV "investment" REALLY worth the high purchase and operating expense, when it only sees extremely limited miles of usage, and the tires ROT off LONG before they wear out - is it likely there are far BETTER places and ways to spend our dwindling discretionary $$$.

After all, when it comes down to it, that same campfire would ALSO look as good in your own back yard - or when viewed from a tent - it doesn't require a fuel hungry $150K RV...

A large part of our current national financial problems were caused by buyers over-extending themselves on large expensive homes they really couldn't afford and pay for when times got tough - and THEN the real value of those expensive homes fell FAR below what they still owed on them - how many will, or ARE, doing the same thing with large flashy RVs they are seeing increasing difficult to pay for and operate?

When will we LEARN?

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

Gas won't go to $8.00 a gallon for a long time to come, you may see $5.00 on the West coast though.

As far as rving goes, present gas prices and $5.00 a gallon isn't a lot if you really look at. You can still RV maybe just a little closer to home or go someplace and stay put. If you think US prices are high go to Canada where gas is $1.28 A LITER and there are approximately 4 liters in a gallon. .
3.785412 Canadian Liters to a US Gallon
One Canadian Ltr equals 0.26417203728418465 US Gallon

Just learning this myself.
What is it they say..."if you have to ask, you can't afford it"?

We are newbies, so we'll continue on travelling five months of the year regardless of the price of fuel, we just may stay longer and not travel as far.

Happy Trails everyone!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Rock on my friend, I like your style!!!
We too are 'spending our kids' inheritance' LOL

Gas isn't really expensive, compared to Evian Water - at over $21 a gallon

THE PRICE OF GAS vs. PRINTER INK... here's a humorous approach to getting thru the gas crunch... price co

when you are at the pump be glad your car doesn't run on Water, Scope, Snapple, Nyquil, Whiteout, or God forbid printer ink!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
We too are 'spending our kids' inheritance' LOL

Gas isn't really expensive, compared to Evian Water - at over $21 a gallon

THE PRICE OF GAS vs. PRINTER INK... here's a humorous approach to getting thru the gas crunch... price co

when you are at the pump be glad your car doesn't run on Water, Scope, Snapple, Nyquil, Whiteout, or God forbid printer ink!
Those type "comparisons" are getting pretty old and have always been totally meaningless as far as real life is concerned - gas is "cheaper" than peanut butter and catsup too - but isn't that actually a pretty silly and frivolous comparison?
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #90

This might be an interesting read for y'all:

Why the Government Can Do Little to Influence Gas Prices - Current Rates, News and Information about Savings Accounts
Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwomack View Post
The following is a quote from an article by Travis Holum in The Motley Fool

"If you want to blame someone for the price of oil, blame China or India -- or Russia. Or, you could look in the mirror and ask why you still pay $4 per gallon for gasoline if you can't really afford it. The laws of supply and demand indicate that demand should drop if prices go up as much as they have in recent weeks. If you aren't cutting back, then you're just as much at fault as anyone else."
Sounds like demand is dropping:

What's Making Americans Less Thirsty For Gasoline? : NPR
Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Those type "comparisons" are getting pretty old and have always been totally meaningless as far as real life is concerned - gas is "cheaper" than peanut butter and catsup too - but isn't that actually a pretty silly and frivolous comparison?
Gary,

The fact of the matter is that, depending upon individual circumstances (financial and otherwise), fuel prices will be more important to some individuals than others. If it's not a "deal breaker" to some individuals, that's certainly OK by me. I'm not going to shut down my life over it.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #93

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
how many will, or ARE, doing the same thing with large flashy RVs they are seeing increasing difficult to pay for and operate?
Quite frankly if I couldn't have afforded to purchase my RV and operate it, even under current fuel scalping, I wouldn't have bought it.
But then again I'm from the generation that if we can't afford it we don't buy it!
I and my wife have worked long and hard to get where we are today so we're not going to bend over to the needs of the greedy!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Yes, and it is meant to be that way...just to lighten it up a bit
Old 03-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #95

Texas Boomers Club
As individuals, we cannot change the price of any commodity. We CAN choose to use less or none at all. Fuel prices have been volatile and rising for 30 or so years and I dare say we have all bought a new (or new to us) RV in that time period. Maybe we should have been more deligent in assessing the costs involved and our ability to divert that amount of our discretionary dollars to a non-essential, though enjoyable, passtime/lifestyle.

If the increasing cost of ownership and operation are beyond our means, maybe we should re-assess our involvement and pursue something more affordable. If not, lets all quit whining, fill-er-up, hitch-up our big girl panties and go camping. That's what DW and I are going to do.
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #96

I'm not getting any younger can't worry about high gas prices
and I'm sure not going to sit at home looking out the window
til I die so I will hook up to the rv and have fun this year and if gas
is 10 dollars a gallon next year I will do the same
Old 03-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #97

I wouldn't be able to go ANYWHERE if gas was 8.00 a gallon! Sometimes its hard to fill up the truck!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #98

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One way or another I'm gonna RV till I'm 80!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green-RV-pulled-with-bicycle.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	19351  

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas