Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
Not to kill the messenger... but I am trying to figure which is more dangerous, the MH driver or the driver going 85 mph (in a Wrangler)to pace his speed.
Nice try...he pushed me from 75 up to 83 to get me out of his way. My jeep doesn't like anything over 77 and for you to even assume the danger is the same is, well just kind of silly actually.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
When I'M planing my trips a days driving is under 3 hours and most are closer to 2 hours heck some have been around an hour, but 6 hours "wow". I try driving the speed limit, but not over 60-63 like the man said I have a better fighting chance. I also don't get up and pull out of the rv park around 6 am either or pull in late. 10am to 11am will do and I plan on setting down for the night around 1pm to 2pm. Also I stop during my 2+/- hour drive.

I always hope people that do the above things don't have a bad emergency back home and that's why there in a hurry.
One of my friends do the 1 & 2 you drive a hundred miles and stay 2 nights or longer. I don't like interstate driving or driving close to big cities much less thru one
Main reason that I do this is I'M retired and I have no where I got to be at.
The longer I keep traveling since 11/20/11 the less planing I do for it I know what I want to see and where it's at and head in that direction
Y'all have safe travels and drive like you want to..
Old 11-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
62 is my safely zone, but I take every road condition into factoring my safe speed.

I do have issue in construction zones where it clearly states XXX mph. "fines doubled in constructions zones" Or jail time for injuring a worker. I'll stay at the posted speed limit and I have had vehicles on my you know what flashing their lights. Almost seems like they expect you go the normal 10mph over the posted speed.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Some don't stop and smell the roses until they are placed on the casket. I don't think they smell at all then.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:05 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When it comes to driving safety, I've given up on trying to guess what others are doing and why. Most concerning to us all are those "distracted" drivers today who themselves do not bother to recognize their own behavior is putting both their and more importantly others' lives at risk. I also love the guy (or girl) encountered driving down an Interstate Hwy 20 mph below the speed limit and clearly has a cell phone stuck to their ear. Heck its getting so bad now, I've witnessed 18-wheelers swerving down the highway only to pass and observe the driver with a cell phone at his ear.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Some people have places to go, and good for them. People driving under the posted speed limit is as annoying to others as their speed is to you. If people are so "afraid" for their safety maybe the interstate is just not for them...
I don't really care how fast or slow anyone drives as long as you stay your distance from me. Some people drive a little more slowly than others but maybe it's because of a medical reason or they aren't comfortable at a higher speed. They are less dangerous than someone driving over their head just to keep up with a posted speed limit.
Grandma is going to church. Fine! She has paid taxes all her life and has as much right as anyone else to use any highway she wishes to travel on.
I have had idiots pass me on my road on a double solid line only to catch up with them at the next intersection. They are one car length ahead of me. We will be in a forty mile per hour speed zone in a mile which is usually busy and flows less than forty MPH.
Then there is "that guy" who tries to ride your bumper trying to speed you up. I have a cure for that called brakes. Want to argue at the next stop sign? Bring it on.
I will drive my vehicle how I want and you drive yours as you want.
I will see you when I pull up behind you at the toll booth. That ten MPH over my speed really paid off for you didn't it?
I will be going by you at a service station soon as I still have plenty of gas left.
Lynn
Old 11-26-2017, 07:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
Nice try...he pushed me from 75 up to 83 to get me out of his way.
I don't know what you mean by "pushed". If there was contact, you call police and then have the damage repaired. If you mean he was tailgating, simply slow to a speed that is safe for that following distance, even if it is 1 MPH.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:46 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I fall on the side of "driving at or near the speed limit."

I try to stay within 5+/- miles an hour of the speed limit. When you have a clear sight line and if the speed limit is 65 mph or under I will set the cruise and do the exact speed limit. However, my coaches fuel economy sweet zone is at 62 mph and I adjust that speed taking into account the wind and surface conditions.

Arguing that Texas has an 75 or 80 MPH speed limit and I should be able to drive that fast in my coach is in my opinion idiotic.

Texas has wide shoulders for a reason, the accepted courtesy is to move as far right as possible to let faster traffic pass you safely. I've lived in large metroplexes and small country towns. There is always that one idiot that pushes the boundaries. I don't have to be that idiot.

Tire ratings, common sense and the safety of myself, my passengers and those driving on the same road "should" enter into how fast you can safely drive and more importantly how fast you can stop.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #37

This has certainly been discussed before.

My own preference is to drive at a speed where I feel comfortably in control. Usually that's in the low sixties.

ALSO, most of us have toads, and most of those have automatic transmissions with a 65 MPH towing limit. So it really does not matter about Texas or any other state's speed limit; cars are expensive, it makes no sense to blow the tranny by going too fast.

Just my observations.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #38

If you blow yourself all over the road at 83mph, it'll make for smaller pieces for faster cleanup. Maybe I Can go around? Everyone is the their own master of Destiny!
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I live in CA where the towing limit is 55 max. I think this is dumb as semis can go faster and are still technically towing. I usually go 62 in CA, and a little faster while in states without the 55 limit. I too have been passed by people going 80. Apparently they never get stopped by our CHP.

I enjoy driving my MH, and it is more a matter of driving relaxed vs racing like I am late for an appointment.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
I live in CA where the towing limit is 55 max. I think this is dumb as semis can go faster and are still technically towing. I usually go 62 in CA, and a little faster while in states without the 55 limit. I too have been passed by people going 80. Apparently they never get stopped by our CHP.

I enjoy driving my MH, and it is more a matter of driving relaxed vs racing like I am late for an appointment.
Semi Trucks and Vehicles Towing ------55 mph
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Semis have the same 55 mph limit as anyone else towing. You will see some signs that say 3 or more axels 55 mph, that covers the semis. They do not obey that sign, but that doesn't mean they are legal over 55.

Glenn
Old 11-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I don't really care how fast or slow anyone drives as long as you stay your distance from me. Some people drive a little more slowly than others but maybe it's because of a medical reason or they aren't comfortable at a higher speed. They are less dangerous than someone driving over their head just to keep up with a posted speed limit.
Grandma is going to church. Fine! She has paid taxes all her life and has as much right as anyone else to use any highway she wishes to travel on.
I have had idiots pass me on my road on a double solid line only to catch up with them at the next intersection. They are one car length ahead of me. We will be in a forty mile per hour speed zone in a mile which is usually busy and flows less than forty MPH.
Then there is "that guy" who tries to ride your bumper trying to speed you up. I have a cure for that called brakes. Want to argue at the next stop sign? Bring it on.
I will drive my vehicle how I want and you drive yours as you want.
I will see you when I pull up behind you at the toll booth. That ten MPH over my speed really paid off for you didn't it?
I will be going by you at a service station soon as I still have plenty of gas left.
Lynn
Total agree with everything said. It is NOT illegal to drive under the speed limit. Driving over is. If you don't like that I do drive slower you should have 1 min. sooner so you aren't behind me.