Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A diet to save your life and change your life....

.......and you can lose a few pounds in the bargain:

"Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease"
Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D.

In a nutshell: You may not eat meat, poultry, fish, dairy products, nuts or oils of any kind.

You can eat all veggies (not avacados), leafy green vegetables, root veggies, all legumes, all whole grains (with no added fats) and all fruits.

The reasoning is that all your arteries have a thin lining of cells called the endothelium. These cells produce nitric oxide which keep your arteries slippery and wide open. This keeps plaque from building up in your arteries and causing heart attacks and stroke.

The banned items keep the endothelium from doing its job.

If you do this diet now, you can reverse any existing damage.

I just bought my copy via Amazon for $11.30

Anyone know about this? It seems to be first promulgated in 2007 or so and is similar to Dr. Dean Ornish's diet plan.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
And what fun would that life be without bacon, steak, ribs both beef and pork?

Not knocking the vegetarian folks or Vegans just not my idea of a life long meal plan. To each his or her own
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nutrition is like RVing. There are a lot of choices and something for everyone. The key is to find a healthy nutrition intake that is consistent over time and works for you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
MODERATION!

Something I still need to learn.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Diet-ha, the World is going in End in December any how! Pile on the bacon, butter, burgers. Steak and Cheese, let me die happy!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #6

There's an old story about a old man at the Dr's office asking how to prolong his life;

Doc, what do I need to do to live to be 100?

Well, the doctor, You might want to avoid all sex, alcohol, fat/oil - fried food, in your diet cut out all sugar and avoid the artificial sweeteners, cut out all red meat, caffeine, butter and get 30 minutes of strenuous exercise every day. Avoid all excitement, TV and movies excep religious ones, go to bed before 9PM - get up at 6AM, eat only 3 small meals a day mostly vegetables and drink only skim milk - no coffee, tea, or beer.

Gosh doc, if I do all these things you think I'll really live to be 100+ The old man asked.

Not really, said the doctor, but it'll sure seem like it.

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To me the biggest advantage of a vegetarian diet (No meat or fish etc) is cost.. I recall one day being in a very nice Greek eatery with charming and attractive young lady who had gone vegan, I am still "Omnivore" and when the check was served I told her "Since you've gone vegetarian you are kind of a cheep date' All the pinched faced old ladies were looking like "Well I never, She's young enough to be his daughter" As I got up and put on my jacket I continued with "Well Daughter, I guess we'd better pay the check and get over to the concert".

Yes she was young enough, and old enough to the tinesty fraction of a second to be my Daughter.. Which is exactly who she was. My classical musical daughter. Amy.

Did I mention I like rubbing those pinched face noses in it? (I do)

Page 2:

Any doctor who writes a "Diet Book" .. His vaule in my opinion goes DOWN!!! big time. I do have one or two written by groups who have really studied and done the tests and work.. But most "Diet doctor" books are just plain ducky in my book.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #8

I think you might consider the diet if you went through what I just went through in the last week. I'm 62 never been sick to speak of and watched what I ate. Got A Fib of the upper heart and went to shock it back and couldn't because I had a heart attack that I didn't know about that took my heart from normal pumping of 50% to 25%. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #9

The Japanese have a history of living longer than us in the USA (longevity), and among them, the Sumo wrestlers weighting 3 to 5 hundred pounds have a longer lifespan than the general population. I suppose that the "fit but fat" group have a point!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
MODERATION!

Something I still need to learn.
OK, you have an apple pie in one hand and MODERATION in the other. Now you are going to slap yourself in the mouth with one of those hands. I know which hand I would use.....

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
The Japanese have a history of living longer than us in the USA (longevity), and among them, the Sumo wrestlers weighting 3 to 5 hundred pounds have a longer lifespan than the general population. I suppose that the "fit but fat" group have a point!Ed
As of 2010, the total smoking rate in Japan is 24%, 36.6% of Japanese men and 12.1% of Japanese women, one of the highest rates in the World.

I wonder if smoking affects Japanese differently than it does other ethnic groups? I found this on a number of different sites:
The negative effects of the sumo lifestyle become dangerously apparent later in life. Sumo wrestlers have a life expectancy of between 60 and 65, more than 10 years shorter than the average Japanese male.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once again the Marine's come through with the right course of action. Moderation, and it is tough to do in many instances. Thanks Wayne!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Vegan diet... slightly modified... No thanks.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Once again the Marine's come through with the right course of action. Moderation, and it is tough to do in many instances. Thanks Wayne!
Just read a book titled " The End of Overeating" by Kessler MD. an account of the science of human appetite and it's exploitation by the food industry. It's a page turner..Because I'm the guy who eats the whole bag of chips and the whole bowl of dip.