Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

The issue of nuclear power... or lack of it.... does really get to me. I know all about the argueably knee jerk over reaction to the two major nuke accidents in the 70s. But, can someone explain why we aren't currently working to build a new plant on every corner? Is it fed, state, or local limitations or all of the above?

Opinions on what it would take to overcome three decades of inaction in this area? I assume it starts with a mandate to move forward with Yucca Mountain storage facility?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #100

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Actually, I find this an odd topic when considering that most, if not all, of us have RVs that are a little heavy on fossil fuel consumption.

My rv runs on Hydrocarbon fuel...I was filling up a few weeks ago ,when a guy behind me made a comment about it. Wow!!!! an Eco-RV ,it's about time!, I told him I try to do my part.

www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #101
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not into GREEN. My son-in-laws toenails are GREEN. That ain't good.

I've been in the RED for so long, I'm not changin.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #102

The cause and effect relationship of temperature variations has been greatly misdirected. As I look out my window in sunny Los Angeles I see nothing but blue sky and sunshine. If you watched the Rose Parade you saw people in t-shirts and shorts at 8am. Only in the 50's, but still really nice.
HOWEVER: This morning California enacted 725 new laws passed by the legislature in 2010. Our taxes are sky high, and going to rise under the new governor (I saw what Jerry Brown did last time). Our debt is totally out of control.
It would then appear that as the weather gets warmer taxation rises proportionately. The number of new laws passed by a society appears proportional to the increased temperature experienced by the society.
Although I love the weather, and the improvement to the air quality that limited regulations have produced, perhaps if the temperature would drop just a little I could better afford to live here.
Happy New Year to you all.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
The issue of nuclear power... But, can someone explain why we aren't currently working to build a new plant on every corner? Is it fed, state, or local limitations or all of the above?
Personally, I think we need to figure out something to do with the waste rather than store it. THEN, once we figure out a safe means of disposing of the nuclear waste, we can build more plants. Several years back the oh-so-bright county commissioners in Macon County NC wanted to have a nuclear waste dump put in the county. They could get big $$$ to put in their pockets. Word got out and apparently the Hydo Lab in Otto has some pull with higher powers. Seems they could not convince the idiot county commissioners that it wasn't a good idea to put in a nuclear dump in an area prone to landslides and earthquakes. So the Lab went to Washington DC. Plans got dropped real fast after that.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #104

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
The issue of nuclear power... or lack of it.... does really get to me. I know all about the argueably knee jerk over reaction to the two major nuke accidents in the 70s. But, can someone explain why we aren't currently working to build a new plant on every corner? Is it fed, state, or local limitations or all of the above?
With today's technology minds, you would think nuk plants could be designed for the 21st century and beyond....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
With today's technology minds, you would think nuk plants could be designed for the 21st century and beyond....
No kidding... and we should be able to bring them on line in less than 10 years per copy!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Works good for heating water, but for producing electricity it sucks. If you cover your entire home roof with photovoltaic panels, the interest on the money you spent to install it will pay for fossil fuel produced energy for the month and the solar only works about 30 % of the time (night time, shady days, ETC). Sounds good, but if it actually worked then it would be everywhere and not failing even with large subsidies. It is not free as you often hear. If you figure in all cost, it is very expensive. Ever try running your coach AC or microwave on solar? Nobody is arguing that the concept isnít good, it just doesnít work yet. The technology isnít there yet. I donít know anybody who is against alternative energy. We were recently in Amish country in Berlin, OH and many had solar panels as well as windmills (for pumping water) and many believe it or not even have natural gas wells on their property where they get a cut of the gas produced for free.
You are absolutely correct photovoltaic is not there yet! I tried to provide electricity to my cabin with photovoltaic and some big deep cycle batteries. But I had to learn it the hard way that we are still quite a bit away form efficient photovoltaic. I can make enough electricity to run my LED lights, but not enough to run anything else for any length of time!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Opinions on what it would take to overcome three decades of inaction in this area? I assume it starts with a mandate to move forward with Yucca Mountain storage facility?

Rick
I think the big problem with nuclear power is what to o with the burned out fuel rods. Their half life is some 500 k years. Where shall we put them to make sure the don't destroy everything for that length of time. I feel some real deep Mines would be a good place, but nobody wants them to be in their back yard (as we can see with the Yucca Mountain project).

I am absolutely pro nuclear energy, because I feel it is clean and save, but our administrations better get their act in gear and develope a way or means to handle the waste in a save and efficient manner!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #108

We have the best nuclear waste facility in the entire world (Yucca). Cost to the US taxpayers was over $9 billion, but we do not have the political will to use it. Estimated construction time for our first new nuclear plant is 5 years and permitting time is over 10 additional years. We have about 10 billion bbls of onshore oil in ANWR located on 70 miles from an existing leg of the Alaskan pipeline. With a footprint of only 2,000 acres and slant drilling we could be pumping around 1.5 million bbls a day within 3 years if we had the will and could circumvent the decade of permitting. We also have one of the largest deposits (2 trillion bbls) of shale oil in the NW, but it is under congressional mandate to not be tapped and experimentation to improve recovery techniques are also banned. Now wonder OPEC laughs at us. We don’t have an energy problem by a problem of will. When we hear politicians say they want to get us off foreign oil, we put ourselves on it and can get off whenever we decide to. They are feeding us a line of BS and they know it.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #109

What has always bugged me is the folks who don't want us to tap our oil/nat gas because of potential environmental harm (oil spill, etc) yet see nothing wrong with exploiting other countries' enviroments and the risk that there may be a massive oil spill out at sea. The old arguement that "they are going to do it anyway" ranks right up there with "But Mom/Dad, all my friends are doing it". If someone is truly concerned about the environment, they will do more than give lip service... ie: look at what they do, how they live and what petro-based chemically made items they have.... let's see a true eco-friendly computer made from only from plant derived plastics, lead-free solder, etc!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #110

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post

My rv runs on Hydrocarbon fuel...I was filling up a few weeks ago ,when a guy behind me made a comment about it. Wow!!!! an Eco-RV ,it's about time!, I told him I try to do my part.

HAhahahahahaha!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my opinion, with its finite supply is to valuable to be burned in internal combustion engines with their rather low efficiency. It is also a waste to use it to heat air or water in furnace. We need all the oil we have for the chemical or health care industry to invent and create new products that help to improve our life or even maintain our life. And we sure should not waste our rather small reserves of oil for such frivolous purposes.

We might need every drop of it as a raw material source, once some rather nasty people in some oriental countries might decide that we do not deserve any of their oil!

This is the reason that we need to utilize different energy sources, rather than depleting our very valuable raw material resources by just burning them up!

Nuclear power, wind, solar, bio mass and others should be utilized to provide enough energy to allow us to use our oil for better purposes.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
from only from plant derived plastics, lead-free solder, etc!
I worked for a while with those (polilactic acid), and we found that theuy are very expensive and have quite a few short commings (brittle, not very UV stable, not very water resistant, etc.). To be able to make product with those materials, one has to belnd them with oil based substances.

Oil based chemical products can be very environmental friendly, because we have very good control mechanism to keep hydrocarbon emissions from escaping into the environment. It i easy to recycle and reuse plastics that are made with the environment in mind (life cycle management).