Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #113

A K-- My toenails are red.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #114

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm just waiting for that nuclear powered motorhome.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #115

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
In addition to the above, is the fact that properly produced natural gas fuel is far cleaner burning, and potentially extends engine life and oil change intervals...
On the other hand LNG, which is the most common fuel for internal combustion engines, has about 73% of the energy content of regular gasoline, and only about 66% of the energy content of diesel so you need to burn a lot more of it for the equivalent energy production.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
I'm just waiting for that nuclear powered motorhome.
Why hope for something tht you'll never see! why not hope for the Fuel Cell?

If they can do it, RV Makers should be able to also achieve it!
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I worked for a while with those (polilactic acid), and we found that theuy are very expensive and have quite a few short commings (brittle, not very UV stable, not very water resistant, etc.). To be able to make product with those materials, one has to belnd them with oil based substances...
I know that. I also know that there are many, many things that are made with petro-chemicals that most folks never even think about (like medicines). I just get tired to so called "green" people telling me I'm a horrible person because I drive a "gas-sucking RV". Especially when they start saying no more oil derived stuff. I have a link somewhere (posted it online once) that listed a huge amount of stuff that was petro based. It was eye-opening to say the least.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
I know that. I also know that there are many, many things that are made with petro-chemicals that most folks never even think about (like medicines). I just get tired to so called "green" people telling me I'm a horrible person because I drive a "gas-sucking RV". Especially when they start saying no more oil derived stuff. I have a link somewhere (posted it online once) that listed a huge amount of stuff that was petro based. It was eye-opening to say the least.
If people say that to me, I ask them directly what they are doing for the environment! If they start to tell me some bla bla, I can prove to them that in spite of my gas guzzlers, I do more than they do!

Many of those tree hugers (even though I like to hug my own trees and hope that nothing bad happens to them) are all big mouth and no action! I specifically dislike Sierra Club and PETA type people!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #119

Well, I don't hug trees but I do like to camp under them! I believe as full-time RVers, we have a smaller "carbon footprint" than most, if not all the environmentalists. I'm pretty sure they live in bigger houses than we do!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #120

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
Why hope for something tht you'll never see! why not hope for the Fuel Cell?

If they can do it, RV Makers should be able to also achieve it!
I hope you could tell I was joking. As far as the fuel cell on a motorhome, I don't think we could afford one. Fuel cell automobiles have been projected in the $40K+ for a small one.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #121

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Something of interest from the New York Times:

WASHINGTON — Diesel and jet fuel are usually made from crude oil. But with oil prices rising even as a glut of natural gas keeps prices for that fuel extraordinarily cheap, a bit of expensive alchemy is suddenly starting to look financially appealing: turning natural gas into liquid fuels.
A South African firm, Sasol, announced Monday that it would spend just over 1 billion Canadian dollars to buy a half-interest in a Canadian shale gas field, so it can explore turning natural gas into diesel and other liquids. Sasol’s proprietary conversion technology was developed decades ago to help the apartheid government of South Africa survive an international oil embargo, and it is a refinement of the ones used by the Germans to make fuel for the Wehrmacht during World War II.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20101223_FUEL_graphic-articleInline.gif
Views:	30
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	7482  
Old 01-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #122

As far as some aspects of the" climate change" issues and arguments are concerned, it's not at all difficult to find verbal and "scientific" support for pretty much any theory you may personally favor - do an Internet search on "polar icecaps", and be prepared to suffocate under PAGES of pointers of articles from tons of "climate experts".

Here's one that is typical, and that looks reasonably even-handed - but then, that's just MY opinion!

Are the Polar Ice Caps Melting? | Arctic Focus

And. the closing paragraph from that piece:

Quote:
Al Gore’s “The ice is melting!” rant deserves as much attention as Chicken Little’s “The sky is falling!” The problem is he and other global-warming alarmists are getting as much attention as Chicken Little did. And while the fabled fowl was only trying to be helpful, the unscrupulous intent of global-warming alarmists is to set up an energy-regulating global government and an international carbon-trading market worth billions. Even though polar ice conditions are far from unusual or dangerous, these climate tycoons have far too much at stake to ever admit the sky isn’t falling and humans aren’t to blame. The public would do well to remember when Chicken Little’s friends joined in her hysteria, they ended up as dinner in the fox’s den. Unless countered through sound facts and reasoning, global-warming hysteria will end with much the same fate.
And YUP - I'm sure it would not be difficult to get a countering arguments from yet some other climate "expert"...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #123

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...y.SenateReport
Old 01-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
I hope you could tell I was joking. As far as the fuel cell on a motorhome, I don't think we could afford one. Fuel cell automobiles have been projected in the $40K+ for a small one.
Not you or I, but hopefully the generation that comes after us?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post

And. the closing paragraph from that piece:

And YUP - I'm sure it would not be difficult to get a countering arguments from yet some other climate "expert"...
I don't care for articles like this, because the use emotions and polemic to get their point accross.
I don't like it from either side of the spectrum to write like this (i.e. when pro global warming articles come with the poor polar bears dying).
I like facts and figures an a neutral analysis of those.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
But several thousands of scientist support the global warming theory!

This piece is of value only if it would list the comments of those (and the numbers) that support the global warming theories.

What is more convincing, two or three NASA scientists that don't believe or several hundred scientists in NASA that believe in global warming? I would like to read the opinion of both sides and not only that what a political motivated group (GOP) wants me to read.
Here are tow opposing documents:

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/fe...1_altscenario/