Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #1

A few serious questions for the global warming crowd,

the 'man made' global warming crowd that is;

Why am I freezing my bottom off here in South Carolina, as I type its 25*F, how can this be ?

Parts of the South got their first measurable snowfall on Christmas since records have been kept, how can this be ?

A few months ago, at Ohio Pyle State Park, a trailside sign, explained the wonderful diversity of the flora/fauna in front of us was due to the fact that PA, was, at one time in the distant past, a sub topical place, how can this be?

This past year a 'news' article revealed that under the perma frost, in Greenland-so named to entice unsuspecting people to settle there, was discovered proof that the Norsemen were making wine from grapes grown in this artic Country, how could this be ?

AND, if we can agree that crude oil is decayed plant and animal life, how is it possible that the largest known reserves are either under desert areas or under ground that is frozen solid all year 'round, remember that crude IS nothing more than Barney and his friends and the food they ate.....

Just how can all this be ????????????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #2

Hehehe. Bringing up global warming is like starting a discussion on religion! People have strong opinions on both sides of this debate.

Those who believe in global warming will tell you that this erratic weather such as snow in the South, torrential downpours in the West, violent storms in places that are usually quiet are all due to the warming trend in other places.

Those who believe global warming is a myth will tell you that this erratic weather is being cause by nothing more than the usual cycle of heating and cooling patterns that occur naturally within our environment.

There are just as many scientists who are pro-global warming as those who are disbelieve global warming. There is no winning side in this debate it seems, therefore I prefer to just sit by the side with some popcorn and watch the fireworks fly!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMO if this global warming continues I am going to freeze to death.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
IMO if this global warming continues I am going to freeze to death.
No kidding last winter here in Idaho went from Late October to Mid June before it even warmed up above 50 degree and stopped raining... One of the coldest and longest cold spells... Burned close to 12 cords of wood...
Old 12-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #5

Regardless of whether or not you believe in global warming, there is a difference in weather and climate. Here are some "resources" -
NASA - What's the Difference Between Weather and Climate?
Scholars and Rogues » Weather vs. Climate
Weather vs. Climate: Cold Winter Snap Does Not Mean No Global Warming - ABC News
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unfortunately, the pro/con discussion is often not allowed to progress in a fair, give and take fashion.

One of my best buds, professional climatologist, longtime govt scientist, college professor (beer drinking fellow boat enthusiast) and even handed when it comes to a good debate says it is near impossible and career-limiting to raise a dissenting view on anything related to man-made global warming at major conferences.

Books and papers are blocked, funding mysteriously disappears, future invites cancelled. All sorts of roadblocks to healthy scientific debate.

But at least a lot of us had an unusual White Christmas this year!!

Safe Travels to all.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
Just how can all this be ????????????
If I understand your question, I think the answer is that the earth has undergone many changes which impacted our climate over millions of years. Tetonic plate shift has caused land which was once at the bottom of an ocean to end up now on top of a mountain and land which was once a fertile region to now be covered in sand or ice. All natural activity.

I don't know about the "man made" component but the evidence of it seems to make sence to me. It's disappointing to read about the efforts to stymie good, objective scientific debate on the issue though and I would be amazed if it were true that there are just as many scientists who didn't believe in man made GW as those who clain it is true. That 50% who believe in it must have quite a power over those who don't to be able to so effectively quiet them and their evidence.

My point of view is a variation on that of Newmar- 94. I'm not sure that the "man made" aspect is true or not. However, what I do know is that generations of our leadership have brought us to a point where our country's wealth continues to be syphoned off to pay for our use of oil and there is no end in sight. We still don't have an energy policy nor a vision for how we want our country to approach the challenge. This brings with it the need to "kiss up" to countries we would otherwise either ignore or punish severely for some to the stuff they pull. My bottom line is that whether or not oil consumption is contributing to a man made warming of the earth... it's limited availability should be reason enough for us to sponsor a major effort to redefine how we use it.

For those on the side of the argument against man made GW, I would ask "and therefore we should/should not.....do what?" Would the suggestion be that status quo is fine and no action is required now or in the future? Would they suggest that we should not have EPA standards on MPG or emissions?
IMHO, every day we spend debating man made vs natural is a day longer it will take us to get a comprehensive energy policy and vision for our country.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
a k

Newmar Owners Club
It's all politics.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Weather vs. Climate: Cold Winter Snap Does Not Mean No Global Warming - >>>>>>>>> ABC News
Old 12-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
When the history channel has "How the earth was made" be sure to watch it. How they came by the facts or fiction of the progression to make the film is beyond my capabilities. However, if factual what effect the human element has would be miniscule. IMHO
Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Big deal in midwest is if we don't use the Wyoming coal, China will take it. So we end up paying 6 times the cost of energy so China can polute? Doesn't make sence. If you want to make a couple of bucks, by coal stocks.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #12

I said it before here... why is that USFS is allowed to burn tons and tons of slash and fill the air with tons of emmissions from these fires... They do it yearly here in Idaho to the point the sky is orange for days...

Do look to different from LA smog...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1899.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	620.9 KB
ID:	7378  
Old 12-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
a k

Newmar Owners Club
You guys have to be close to my age(64). Remember stoking the coal furnace? remember the smog in the winter? Boy do I miss them old times. I remember getting a high following a bus down the road. Biggest fear back then was something going to happen to Howdy Doody. This late in life we have to worry about every little thing. Hell, I have a hard enough time paying my real estate taxes and have to worry about global warming. I'll bet they take a vote and ask whether you want to worry about global warming or being broke the rest of your life, what would win?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #14

Man made scare tactics so their agenda can get through. Warmest times on record were in the 30's what was going on then? That was before the industrial age. It is all a bunch of hooey. If you fall for it you fall right into their trap. God made the earth to withstand all of it and he gave us the ability to create diesel pushers, so just go enjoy yourselves and stop listening to the radicals and politicians. I miss the 50's, oops I wasn't even born, but wish for much simpler times. They have no way to prove it either way so why worry about it and don't let them indoctrinate your kids.