Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

A Flying J/ Good Sam question

In another post that I can't locate right now it was said Flying J has "sold out" to Good Sam and you need a Good Sam Charge Card to pay for gas/deisel/propane now. Does anyone know for sure if that is a requirement or is the Pilot Flying J Rewards program still in effect and can be used with any credit/debit card? Good Sam's page shows it as a new beneift, but does not state that it is a necessity. Pilot Flying J just talks about their merger, but niothing about Good Sam.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
The FlyingJ rewards card will be phased out. (gave 3 cents off diesel cash price when using cash or credit.)
Good Sam has worked out a "deal" for "us", Only Good Sam members. Membership card includes Swipe & Start for pumps, gives 3cent discount off cash or credit price depending on which you use. GS has a credit card that has pump start and discounts that vary with membership. This credit card is direct access to your checking account.
If you are not GS member no discount and no pump start in truck lanes.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
The FlyingJ rewards card will be phased out. (gave 3 cents off diesel cash price when using cash or credit.)
Good Sam has worked out a "deal" for "us", Only Good Sam members. Membership card includes Swipe & Start for pumps, gives 3cent discount off cash or credit price depending on which you use.
I've seen info on the new GS member card, but first I have seen about the FJ loyalty card(s) going away. Do you know of a link with more info?
Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You might want to contact Lyndsay, from Flying J. Hi I'm Lynsay from Pilot Flying J

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From what I understand the Flying J rewards card will be phased out after 2014. It's supposed to be good thru then.
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You might want to contact Lyndsay, from Flying J. Hi I'm Lynsay from Pilot Flying J
That thread is presently closed.

Try this thread at the link below reply #36

Fueling at Pilot and FJ
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
John, I know the thread's closed, but is Lyndsay or someone from Flying J still a commercial member that can give the 'real dope' instead of rumors, 'I heard's' and 'my friend said's' ?
I have the Flying J RV card and I'm a member of Good Sam, but I don't want or need another credit card, especially one tied to my bank account to get the FJ discounts.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't dismiss the Pilot FJ card too quickly. I've been using it for about a year and it gives you 6 cents off the cash price for gas (any car, not just your RV) and 8 cents off the cash price for diesel.

Like my CC are on automatic payment, this card gets automatically paid on the 21st of each month. Biggest hurdle is that I only had a $600 credit line initially which is like 3-4 tanks of fuel. Now credit line is increased so I can use it on a full trip. Since there are way more Pilot stations around than FJ, you can use it pretty much anywhere and always pay at the pump.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
bjo

I still use the Flying J RV Plus charge card!!! and when I talked with them on phone the other day you get better discount on there card @ the pump
if you are a "life time member" with Good Sam club. that is what I was told
on Phone last wk and then I talk to GSC. also got the same answer
and from my unstanding from both that "Swipe /Save" card does not
give you a better discount. I get so tired of getting all the Cards in the mail
to confuse us all. I just pick up the phone and called the # on bk of card to get my answer's
hope this right.
bjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Retired and Happy,
PFJ and GS has a business/partnership relationship. Neither company owns the other. One can purchase fuel via several methods.
1. The GS program, go to Pilot RV Plus - Program Details and read about the program. Being a GS Life Member, I have one of these cards.
2. If you have one of the older discount cards they should still work. I use m FJ RV Real Value Member card quite a bit.
3. One can belong to a PFJ discount program without GS. Go to https://myrewards.pilotflyingj.com/ and read about it.
4. One can also not belong to any of the discount programs and pay via credit card or cash.

There are different procedures to purchase fuel depending on how one will pay and which pumps one uses. At the RV pumps, follow the prompts on the pump display. At the truck pumps follow the instructions on the screen. At the truck pumps, if one wants a receipt, one will need to go into the store.

Since I use the truck pumps belonging to one (or more) of the discount programs makes fueling a much simpler process.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Gary the link to Pilot/FlyJ no longer shows a RV Loyalty card. The program has been discontinued. The "preferred customer" card gets a discount in the coffee shop or retail store. The website last reported the RV Loyalty card will be honored for a few month's yet. (Someone posted until January 2015, ???) No new RV Loyalty program cards will be issued. Only the GS cards will give a discount....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
John, I know the thread's closed, but is Lyndsay or someone from Flying J still a commercial member that can give the 'real dope' instead of rumors, 'I heard's' and 'my friend said's' ?
I have the Flying J RV card and I'm a member of Good Sam, but I don't want or need another credit card, especially one tied to my bank account to get the FJ discounts.
To the best of my knowledge she nor any one else from that organization frequent the forums any longer. I'd hate to hazard a reason as to why they do not.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Gary the link to Pilot/FlyJ no longer shows a RV Loyalty card. The program has been discontinued. The "preferred customer" card gets a discount in the coffee shop or retail store. The website last reported the RV Loyalty card will be honored for a few month's yet. (Someone posted until January 2015, ???) No new RV Loyalty program cards will be issued. Only the GS cards will give a discount....
There is still a RV card listed on the website. The "preferred customer" card is for "not a professional driver or rv customer"
Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Try this thread at the link below reply #36

Fueling at Pilot and FJ
Here is what I posted there:

From looking at the Good Sam site it appears that they are offering a new feature where any Good Sam member can ask for a 'Swipe & Save' card that provides fuel and other discounts at Pilot/Flying J, although the discounts are somewhat less than the RV Plus Card (which as far as I can tell in not being discontinued, as on the web site it is being offered as another option alongside the new Swipe & Save card.) As far as I can tell both cards are available, the difference being one comes automatically with GS membership and the other requires a separate application but gives greater discounts. And there is no requirement for a GS credit card in any case.

I think the above is correct and the RV Plus card is safe, unless anyone has any other information.