Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
A+ for Good Sam Roadside Assistance!

Yesterday we went to Birmingham, AL for a doctor's appointment and got the "low tire pressure" warning on the dash of the CRV just a few miles from our destination! We didn't have time to get service out there without being late for the appointment.

I pulled into a convenience store that had one of the air machines and paid $1.50 to bring it up to 45 lbs, hoping to get to the appointment on time. We made it, and after dropping Annette off I called GS ERS to come and change the tire. The temp was about 92 with a heat index of 108, so I didn't want to get out there putting the spare on!

They contacted a service facility and told me he would be there in 45 minutes. 40 minutes later he pulls in!

The guy pulls up in a beat-up old car with a locksmith sign on top! I asked him how it is that a locksmith is out changing tires! He told me that in order the get the locksmithing jobs (opening locked car doors) they had to agree to do all the other crap too!

He was really a nice guy and told me about a large tire service just a few blocks away, suggesting that I might want him just to add enough air to get me to the tire shop without putting the spare on. I agreed and he gets out his little portable compressor, raises the hood and connects it to the battery, and has me going in no time at all!

Thanks to Good Sam for their fast service!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm pleased to see another good report on GS roadside assistance. I've used them 3 times over the past couple of years and also very pleased with their job. Most recently was last October when I had a flat on our Subaru. I had the dinky little lug wrench that came with the car but a gorilla at the dealership had rotated the tires and applied way too much torque to the lug nuts. I called and a 4 door compact pulled up, he had been dispatched to help. He had a long breaker bar and I gave permission to break the lug nut off since it wouldn't budge for him either. When I got home I found 3 other over-torqued lugs and broke 2 more off removing them. I took the evidence to the service department and they did the repairs for free.

Too often people that have a 'bone to pick' sign up for iRV2 and make their first post a rant against someone they feel did them wrong.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm pleased to see another good report on GS roadside assistance. I've used them 3 times over the past couple of years and also very pleased with their job. Most recently was last October when I had a flat on our Subaru. I had the dinky little lug wrench that came with the car but a gorilla at the dealership had rotated the tires and applied way too much torque to the lug nuts. I called and a 4 door compact pulled up, he had been dispatched to help. He had a long breaker bar and I gave permission to break the lug nut off since it wouldn't budge for him either. When I got home I found 3 other over-torqued lugs and broke 2 more off removing them. I took the evidence to the service department and they did the repairs for free.

Too often people that have a 'bone to pick' sign up for iRV2 and make their first post a rant against someone they feel did them wrong.
Here's another thumbs up for Good Sam Roadside Assist.
My 5 month old Ford Rebuilt Transmission burned up last week. We were able to limp it into an RV Park after seeing a local Ford dealership. They were too small to do the job and arranged an appointment at a large Ford Dealer 3 business days later in a city 40 miles away. We called GS RSA and arranged for a tow for the appointed date.
We spent a delightful 3 days visiting the area. On the designated day, a tow truck arrived, 2 hours late, hooked up and we were on our way. The driver was very careful with our rig and did everything he could to help us. Even though he was late, I give him great credit for doing a good job.
BTW, the 40 mile tow cost us absolutely nothing. Thanks Good Sam Roadside Assist.
a.j.
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #4

I just had a very bad .. and dangerous one...just trying to sort it out with Good Sams now..
Old 06-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
I just had a very bad .. and dangerous one...just trying to sort it out with Good Sams now..
Care to give us the details? Sure hope you get it worked out satisfactorily!
Old 06-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #6

I have contacted Sams and am trying to work it out.

They left us on the side of a very dangerous road during the heat of the day with my wife and 2 dogs.. no a/c...for 5 and 1/2 hours. Car / trucks were coming so close to us that I though we were going to be hit..

When I hung up the phone, I thought we were going to be towed to my repair center ...we were 20 miles over their mileage ..I said I would pay the difference no probs..

Then we got a call from a service guy that said he would be there in 2.5 hours.. which turned into 4+ hours.

The first priority of this service is to get us to a safe spot.

What is really odd is that we were very close to our provincial capital.

I am still upset over this but am willing to hear what they say. We will be moving into long timing within a couple of years and this just scares me.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have contacted Sams and am trying to work it out.

They left us on the side of a very dangerous road during the heat of the day with my wife and 2 dogs.. no a/c...for 5 and 1/2 hours. Car / trucks were coming so close to us that I though we were going to be hit..

When I hung up the phone, I thought we were going to be towed to my repair center ...we were 20 miles over their mileage ..I said I would pay the difference no probs..

Then we got a call from a service guy that said he would be there in 2.5 hours.. which turned into 4+ hours.

The first priority of this service is to get us to a safe spot.

What is really odd is that we were very close to our provincial capital.

I am still upset over this but am willing to hear what they say. We will be moving into long timing within a couple of years and this just scares me.

WOW! That is scary!
Old 06-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #8

I have talked to a guy at head office. He tells me that 60 to 90 minutes is usually their mean time to arrive on site.

They are do a review..what ever that entails..and I will talk to him again in a week or so..
Old 06-23-2016, 08:28 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I have talked to a guy at head office. He tells me that 60 to 90 minutes is usually their mean time to arrive on site.

They are do a review..what ever that entails..and I will talk to him again in a week or so..
If you were parked in such a dangerous place with cars and trucks passing so close, why not call 911 and ask for assistance? A police car with flashing lights would make drivers slow down or at least notice you.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #10

My 2 experiences with GS's Roadside Assist in a Class A were terrible. I'll take my chances with the yellow pages. That is what I did and got fantastic service with no over charging by GS's. Both experiences cost far less than GS's no help operator quoted and I didn't have to wait several hours for them to locate someone to come out.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
My 2 experiences with GS's Roadside Assist in a Class A were terrible. I'll take my chances with the yellow pages. That is what I did and got fantastic service with no over charging by GS's. Both experiences cost far less than GS's no help operator quoted and I didn't have to wait several hours for them to locate someone to come out.

Sandi, obviously your two experiences didn't involve towing a 40' MH 100 miles to a service facility!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #12

...hindsight is a wonderful thing... however, we have bought breakdown cones..

i phoned neighbours and they came and picked up the dw and dogs. this worked now but what happens if we are in AZ or another state ?
Old 06-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
I signed up with GSRA because they have selected service providers across the country. If the providers they choose are reported as bad or rip-offs, GSRA will drop them from their list. When traveling in a distant area, I'm at the mercy of whomever I would pick out of the 'yellow pages.'

Folks experiencing a break down need to understand, their flat tire or mechanical issue isn't the unique problem they perceive it to be. A tire service encounters the same issue all day, everyday. Temper your expectations and you'll find you'll live longer, happier, and get treated more pleasantly in general.

Is GSRA (or any roadside assistance service) perfect? No. Are they instant help? No. Do they provide competent help when I've needed help in areas I've visited? Yes.

That's what I expected and what I signed up for.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #14

Oh, you have spent almost 6 hours waiting by the highway in heat w/o air while the trucks/cars violently rock your rig ?

You have more patience that I...2 hours is ok..after that, no...