Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,295
A+ for Good Sam Roadside Assistance!

Yesterday we went to Birmingham, AL for a doctor's appointment and got the "low tire pressure" warning on the dash of the CRV just a few miles from our destination! We didn't have time to get service out there without being late for the appointment.

I pulled into a convenience store that had one of the air machines and paid $1.50 to bring it up to 45 lbs, hoping to get to the appointment on time. We made it, and after dropping Annette off I called GS ERS to come and change the tire. The temp was about 92 with a heat index of 108, so I didn't want to get out there putting the spare on!

They contacted a service facility and told me he would be there in 45 minutes. 40 minutes later he pulls in!

The guy pulls up in a beat-up old car with a locksmith sign on top! I asked him how it is that a locksmith is out changing tires! He told me that in order the get the locksmithing jobs (opening locked car doors) they had to agree to do all the other crap too!

He was really a nice guy and told me about a large tire service just a few blocks away, suggesting that I might want him just to add enough air to get me to the tire shop without putting the spare on. I agreed and he gets out his little portable compressor, raises the hood and connects it to the battery, and has me going in no time at all!

Thanks to Good Sam for their fast service!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,229
I'm pleased to see another good report on GS roadside assistance. I've used them 3 times over the past couple of years and also very pleased with their job. Most recently was last October when I had a flat on our Subaru. I had the dinky little lug wrench that came with the car but a gorilla at the dealership had rotated the tires and applied way too much torque to the lug nuts. I called and a 4 door compact pulled up, he had been dispatched to help. He had a long breaker bar and I gave permission to break the lug nut off since it wouldn't budge for him either. When I got home I found 3 other over-torqued lugs and broke 2 more off removing them. I took the evidence to the service department and they did the repairs for free.

Too often people that have a 'bone to pick' sign up for iRV2 and make their first post a rant against someone they feel did them wrong.
__________________

__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #3
Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm pleased to see another good report on GS roadside assistance. I've used them 3 times over the past couple of years and also very pleased with their job. Most recently was last October when I had a flat on our Subaru. I had the dinky little lug wrench that came with the car but a gorilla at the dealership had rotated the tires and applied way too much torque to the lug nuts. I called and a 4 door compact pulled up, he had been dispatched to help. He had a long breaker bar and I gave permission to break the lug nut off since it wouldn't budge for him either. When I got home I found 3 other over-torqued lugs and broke 2 more off removing them. I took the evidence to the service department and they did the repairs for free.

Too often people that have a 'bone to pick' sign up for iRV2 and make their first post a rant against someone they feel did them wrong.
Here's another thumbs up for Good Sam Roadside Assist.
My 5 month old Ford Rebuilt Transmission burned up last week. We were able to limp it into an RV Park after seeing a local Ford dealership. They were too small to do the job and arranged an appointment at a large Ford Dealer 3 business days later in a city 40 miles away. We called GS RSA and arranged for a tow for the appointed date.
We spent a delightful 3 days visiting the area. On the designated day, a tow truck arrived, 2 hours late, hooked up and we were on our way. The driver was very careful with our rig and did everything he could to help us. Even though he was late, I give him great credit for doing a good job.
BTW, the 40 mile tow cost us absolutely nothing. Thanks Good Sam Roadside Assist.
a.j.
__________________
96 Rexhall RollsAire, 36 ft. w/slide
Ford F53, 460 CI, Banks
150 Watts Solar w/4-12V batteries
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 447
I just had a very bad .. and dangerous one...just trying to sort it out with Good Sams now..
__________________
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
I just had a very bad .. and dangerous one...just trying to sort it out with Good Sams now..
Care to give us the details? Sure hope you get it worked out satisfactorily!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 447
I have contacted Sams and am trying to work it out.

They left us on the side of a very dangerous road during the heat of the day with my wife and 2 dogs.. no a/c...for 5 and 1/2 hours. Car / trucks were coming so close to us that I though we were going to be hit..

When I hung up the phone, I thought we were going to be towed to my repair center ...we were 20 miles over their mileage ..I said I would pay the difference no probs..

Then we got a call from a service guy that said he would be there in 2.5 hours.. which turned into 4+ hours.

The first priority of this service is to get us to a safe spot.

What is really odd is that we were very close to our provincial capital.

I am still upset over this but am willing to hear what they say. We will be moving into long timing within a couple of years and this just scares me.
__________________
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
I have contacted Sams and am trying to work it out.

They left us on the side of a very dangerous road during the heat of the day with my wife and 2 dogs.. no a/c...for 5 and 1/2 hours. Car / trucks were coming so close to us that I though we were going to be hit..

When I hung up the phone, I thought we were going to be towed to my repair center ...we were 20 miles over their mileage ..I said I would pay the difference no probs..

Then we got a call from a service guy that said he would be there in 2.5 hours.. which turned into 4+ hours.

The first priority of this service is to get us to a safe spot.

What is really odd is that we were very close to our provincial capital.

I am still upset over this but am willing to hear what they say. We will be moving into long timing within a couple of years and this just scares me.

WOW! That is scary!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 447
I have talked to a guy at head office. He tells me that 60 to 90 minutes is usually their mean time to arrive on site.

They are do a review..what ever that entails..and I will talk to him again in a week or so..
__________________
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
I have talked to a guy at head office. He tells me that 60 to 90 minutes is usually their mean time to arrive on site.

They are do a review..what ever that entails..and I will talk to him again in a week or so..
If you were parked in such a dangerous place with cars and trucks passing so close, why not call 911 and ask for assistance? A police car with flashing lights would make drivers slow down or at least notice you.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
lenjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Conyers, GA
Posts: 549
My 2 experiences with GS's Roadside Assist in a Class A were terrible. I'll take my chances with the yellow pages. That is what I did and got fantastic service with no over charging by GS's. Both experiences cost far less than GS's no help operator quoted and I didn't have to wait several hours for them to locate someone to come out.
__________________
Sandi
Loving My RV
2005 Dolphin 6355 LX WH24
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
My 2 experiences with GS's Roadside Assist in a Class A were terrible. I'll take my chances with the yellow pages. That is what I did and got fantastic service with no over charging by GS's. Both experiences cost far less than GS's no help operator quoted and I didn't have to wait several hours for them to locate someone to come out.

Sandi, obviously your two experiences didn't involve towing a 40' MH 100 miles to a service facility!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 447
...hindsight is a wonderful thing... however, we have bought breakdown cones..

i phoned neighbours and they came and picked up the dw and dogs. this worked now but what happens if we are in AZ or another state ?
__________________
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,229
I signed up with GSRA because they have selected service providers across the country. If the providers they choose are reported as bad or rip-offs, GSRA will drop them from their list. When traveling in a distant area, I'm at the mercy of whomever I would pick out of the 'yellow pages.'

Folks experiencing a break down need to understand, their flat tire or mechanical issue isn't the unique problem they perceive it to be. A tire service encounters the same issue all day, everyday. Temper your expectations and you'll find you'll live longer, happier, and get treated more pleasantly in general.

Is GSRA (or any roadside assistance service) perfect? No. Are they instant help? No. Do they provide competent help when I've needed help in areas I've visited? Yes.

That's what I expected and what I signed up for.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 447
Oh, you have spent almost 6 hours waiting by the highway in heat w/o air while the trucks/cars violently rock your rig ?

You have more patience that I...2 hours is ok..after that, no...
__________________

__________________
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disappointed in Good Sam roadside assistance thmdamit MH-General Discussions & Problems 65 04-13-2016 10:07 PM
Good Sam Roadside assistance not so good! rjsupersonic Full-Timers 25 01-28-2015 09:01 PM
Good Sam Roadside Assistance comes through texnet iRV2.com General Discussion 5 01-29-2014 05:56 PM
Coach-net vs Good Sam Roadside assistance Bees iRV2.com General Discussion 33 12-20-2013 07:32 AM
Good Sam Roadside Assistance Program Submustang iRV2.com General Discussion 2 09-19-2012 12:40 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.