Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2006, 05:12 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In this morning's Dallas News metro section, there was an article about Southlake, TX school district's campaign to get parents to hang up their cell phones while waiting to pick up their kids from school.

I don't know how many other places have a situation like this but here is the picture: 1/4-1/2 mile of SUVs waiting nose to tail to enter the school's circular drive. Since the line crosses the sidewalk path, kids are walking between the cars in the line to cross from sidewalk to sidewalk. After several very close calls where, due to the driver's involvement in the cell phone conversation, kids and staffers were nearly run over, the school principal is now posting signs and starting a parent contact program to get them to hang up while they are in the line. One of the school crossing guards was quoted as saying she'd had numerous situations were parents were speeding through the school zone, distracted by the cell phone conversation.

I'm often irritated by people in the grocery store line who think they good enough to continue a phone conversation while interacting with the checkout clerk and the result is that their transaction takes twice as long (or more) to complete, holding up the rest of the line. I'm terrified when I look in the mirror while driving my car and see the driver behind me (and usually tailgating me) in an animated phone conversation, many times with kids in car seats in their backseat. But those situations pale in comparison to putting walking kids lives on the line to talk on the phone.

Call me extreme but I sure would like to see those talking on phones while driving around walking kids hauled out of their cars and taken away in handcuffs for reckless endangerment. We all know that kids aren't always attentive to their surroundings and it takes ever second of a driver's attention while around them to avoid a tragedy.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2006, 05:12 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In this morning's Dallas News metro section, there was an article about Southlake, TX school district's campaign to get parents to hang up their cell phones while waiting to pick up their kids from school.

I don't know how many other places have a situation like this but here is the picture: 1/4-1/2 mile of SUVs waiting nose to tail to enter the school's circular drive. Since the line crosses the sidewalk path, kids are walking between the cars in the line to cross from sidewalk to sidewalk. After several very close calls where, due to the driver's involvement in the cell phone conversation, kids and staffers were nearly run over, the school principal is now posting signs and starting a parent contact program to get them to hang up while they are in the line. One of the school crossing guards was quoted as saying she'd had numerous situations were parents were speeding through the school zone, distracted by the cell phone conversation.

I'm often irritated by people in the grocery store line who think they good enough to continue a phone conversation while interacting with the checkout clerk and the result is that their transaction takes twice as long (or more) to complete, holding up the rest of the line. I'm terrified when I look in the mirror while driving my car and see the driver behind me (and usually tailgating me) in an animated phone conversation, many times with kids in car seats in their backseat. But those situations pale in comparison to putting walking kids lives on the line to talk on the phone.

Call me extreme but I sure would like to see those talking on phones while driving around walking kids hauled out of their cars and taken away in handcuffs for reckless endangerment. We all know that kids aren't always attentive to their surroundings and it takes ever second of a driver's attention while around them to avoid a tragedy.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

IRT to the school "carpool" lane issue with driver's on cell phones I agree....

IRT to "on cell phone standing in line" I agree as well and several eating establishments I visit that have takeout lines have posted signs that state "if you're on the phone we will wait on next customer til you hang the phone up".....NICE!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:35 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
IRT to the school "carpool" lane issue with driver's on cell phones I agree....

IRT to "on cell phone standing in line" I agree as well and several eating establishments I visit that have takeout lines have posted signs that state "if you're on the phone we will wait on next customer til you hang the phone up".....NICE!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having and using a Bluetooth device can leave both hands free and the cellular tucked away and out of sight. My cellular is set to vibrate only when it is on my body, therefore, no ringing to bother the next guy. It is set for auto answer, and again, you will not see my phone. It is no different than talking to my wife or another person standing beside me while doing other business. I know that talking to a third party can slow one down, I try to be considerate and not let my cellular effect others. Having both hands free, I can concentrate much better on what I'm doing, i.e., driving, in a restaurant, etc. I might add that I will never initiate or accept a phone call in a theatre or a similar enviroment as I feel talking in those places where 'one should be quiet' is showing disrespect.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #5

In some states it is against the law to use a cell phone while operating a Vehicle. I think it should be that way in all states but realize it's big business.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles:
In some states it is against the law to use a cell phone while operating a Vehicle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...but it is not against the law in any state to operate a cellular phone by a hands free wireless device, i.e. the Bluetooth.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:54 AM   #7

What can be so imporant that you have to have a phone stuck in your ear all the time? Doing this in restaurants and banks and in checkout lines is RUDE and not necessary! If you are expecting a important call then wait at home. Just my 2 cents worth, I too get angry at these people bluetooth or not!

Earl

www.gsowners.com/
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:48 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't want to dilute the intent behind my post so let me be more clear:
- I find those on cell phones in lines, in confined public places (where others are forced to hear the conversation) irritating. It is rude and inconsiderate to continue talking on the phone while trying to interact with a salesperson while others are waiting in a line. Those cell phone talkers are fooling themselves that they can do two things at once. They cannot. I would place these kinds of situations into the same category as people who walk through my campsite, throw their trash on my lawn (I live on a corner and get about 1/2 of a garabage bag a week of soda and beer cans, fast food bags, etc.) I don't like it but I can live with it.
- Endangering others, especially kids, as a result of talking on a cell phone is in a different category. I CANNOT live with that. Whether it is the people in the school pickup line that I cited or mothers (and fathers) driving with small children in the back seat of their car while on the cell phone, those situations are unacceptable. All of us who have raised them, know that kids can try to be a distraction while you are driving. When you throw a cell phone conversation into that mix, the results could be tragic. I see moms in big SUVs all the time with multiple baby seats in back (obviously occupied because of the flailing arms) who are on their cell phones and in heavy traffic. You can tell that the kids are acting up and clearly see the driver holding their phone in one hand and gesturing with the other hand.

The wake up call on cell phones is that people don't just talk on them. Those conversations become animated (the gestures and body language are unmistakable) and consuming. The person having that kind of a conversation isn't able to concentrate on anything else, no matter what they believe. Though it might sound extreme, I believe that the cell phone driver having an animated conversation is playing Russian Roulette. Unfortunately, they are sometimes doing it where they can kill or maim others, especially children. There simply is no justification for that.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:57 AM   #9

Do not engage in conversation with the driver while the coach is in motion.

This statement, or one similar, was always overhead on a plaque in buses, so the drivers attention would be only on driving.

You cannot think of two things at the same time!

You can aternately think of one thing and then the other, but not together. It is the same as your personal computer.

You can view one screen, but you must click to view another.

Cellphone are just another of the wonderous inventions we have now a days that is hurting us.

We are told that "Hands Free" cellphones will save us from accidents. NOT.

Wearing a seatbelt while driving will release us from the responsibility of driving safely. NOT.

This last week I could have made alot of money by nailing my brakes in traffic. "Oh, I thought I saw a dog dash across the road in front of me". Your statement to the police officer.

The car behind me slams into me and, WHIP-LASH, lawsuit, big money.

These situations have all been with female drivers behind the wheel of the car following me.

Some on the phone and others just wishing I would get out of their way. They may also have children with them.
I am no sloutch when it comes to driving speed either.

Whether it is drugs or some other kind of medication these drivers are on, they should wake up before something bad happens. This goes for men and women alike.

Just because you are wearing your "Seatbelt" does not mean you are safe or are released from your responsibilities.

Wake up America. You are killing each other wholesale and saying "It wasn't my fault".

If the reader of this is an offender, then good.
Life is short enought as it is. Don't hasten the end.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #10

I've been hit 2X within 5 years (rear-ended) The 1st time I was hit by a stolen car & the occupants took off on foot. The 2nd time by a 17 yr. old female on a cell phone driving mom's SUV. This time I sued, got 50K, but would give it up in a heartbeat as my life has not been the same since this accident. 7 epidural injections, physical therapy, chiropractic, accupuncture, you name it !! I have constant pain from whiplash.

I have also become somewhat paranoid every time I see a driver in my rear view mirror talking on a cell phone.

Amazing tho, here in the Metro NY area I continue to see constant cell phone violations, in addition to people reading the newspaper while driving at 60 mph, shaving, putting on makeup. You name it, they do it !!
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:22 AM   #11

There are already laws on the books for that,i.e.
reckless driving
n. operation of an automobile in a dangerous manner under the circumstances

The same could be said for eating while driving, putting on make-up etc.

Who here hasn't eaten a burger while driving?

Lets not get carried away by passing more laws resulting in a "slippery slope" that restricts our freedoms in a unconstitutional manner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles:
In some states it is against the law to use a cell phone while operating a Vehicle. I think it should be that way in all states but realize it's big business. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:23 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I'm not sure why but in my opinion talking on the cell phone takes more attention away from the road than talking to a passenger in the car. So whether or not you are hands free, I don't think you should cell and drive at the same time.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich & Zara:

Having and using a Bluetooth device can leave both hands free . . .&lt;snip&gt; I can concentrate much better on what I'm doing, i.e., driving, in a restaurant, etc.

Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget --- we concentrate with our BRAIN, not our HANDS. A bluetooth device may render our hands free, but our brains are still relegated to more than, for example, the important task of driving safely.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Apackof2, I understand your point about not wanting laws that impact your freedoms. Please remember, however, that the subject of this thread wasn't general cell phone use but the fact that some people couldn't seem to make intelligent decisions about WHEN to use their cell phones while driving and were endangering the lives of children while driving and talking. Let's face it, noone is immune to the problems that come from driving and talking:
1. Potential to miss seeing/recognizing a dangerous situation
2. Slower reaction time to a situation.

I watched a lady this past weekend who was very actively talking on the phone and attempting to merge her car into heavy traffic while making a right hand turn. I would have expected a maneuver like hers to require my full attention but she obviously didn't. She very nearly caused two different collisions before she got out onto the road and up to speed. Had it not been for the rapid responses of the drivers around her, those collisions would have occurred. I can only imagine the result if one of THEM had been talking on a phone, too.

My sister has permanent back injuries as a result of being hit by a pickup driver who was talking on a cell phone. I don't want to read in the newspaper about a parent running down a child in a school zone while talking on a cellphone. I personally have no freedom that is worth that result. If it takes more laws to prevent that kind of an outcome, so be it.